Money and prizes in caches...

ZapMe

I've been searching here and on vigps.com as well as on google for an explanation for this and can't seem to find one. I'm sure some veteranly types will know this one right off.

How is it that some cachers can afford to put cash (lots of it in some instances) and gps units (these ain't cheap neither) in caches for others to find? Is this just generosity? or is there something else afoot? Some of the Team KFWB caches I've seen have had like a thousand bucks in them. What gives?

.z

Edited by ZapMe

I have found lots of cash in caches.

one million dollar bills, that shredded currency that the mint sells as a novelty, some miniature coins, even thousands of dollars in Monopoly money. could be what you are seeing.

Never found one but I have heard of cachers placing their old broken GPSrs in caches. I saw a travelbug made from a dead GPSr at an event once. It wouldn't surprise me if someone even passed on their old unit that way when they upgrade.

I've been searching here and on vigps.com as well as on google for an explanation for this and can't seem to find one. I'm sure some veteranly types will know this one right off.

How is it that some cachers can afford to put cash (lots of it in some instances) and gps units (these ain't cheap neither) in caches for others to find? Is this just generosity? or is there something else afoot? Some of the Team KFWB caches I've seen have had like a thousand bucks in them. What gives?

.z

Sounds like somebody with money to burn. Hey if it makes them happy... got a link? :D

Some people are rich. Apparently the members of Team KFWB are among those.

I imagine that people into Geocaching cross a wide variety of economic levels. I think it's great that people are leaving substantive treasures in caches. I wholly endorse this idea.

Also, you know what they say.. One man's trash is another man's treasure. I'd like to see more people put valuable stuff they no longer want in caches. The biggest problem is the size.

Edited by arpegio

There was a local cache here that had $402 as a FTF gift with instructions for the first finder to take all or some of the cache. The FTFer took only $100 and left the rest for others which I thought was nice.

I guess if you have the money to do it, that's really nice. Unfortunately I don't. But when I place my first cache I will have something nice as FTF...AND I'm going to have a nice prize for like the 30th to find. I know its not quite the same as being THE first, but since it seems the first-to-finders are the same people most of the time, I'd thought it would be nice to have a little gift for the people who can't get up at 3 a.m. on a weeknite to go find a cache. It'll be a little more random as to who hits that 30th number. Maybe it'll be a newbie. :P

I am not rich, but I put in dollar coins.....

Sacagawea

Susan B. Anthony

Washington (presidental Series)

Also I put in $2 bills.

The main reason I do this, is because

some of the Cachers children have never seen them.

These coins or bills are better swag than fast food toys

Edited by Team_Talisman

CD's seem to be popular around here. I found a cache with a deck of cards this weekend - not a good idea methinks - cards+moisture=mess

I like the idea of the $2 bills or just plain unusual coins. I might hit the bank for some of those or maybe someplace that sells inexpensive collectable coins. My son loves to save each and every piece of crap and puts in in a dedicated display site. He was pretty appalled the other day when we found a rock in a cache. Some people are so rude.

.z

I have a puzzle cache that I had listed 1/26/07. It has a $12 Tommy Trojan Geocoin, a new G. Washington "gold dollar" and a new Montana 2007 Quarter. Still no FTF when I snowshoed in there Feb. 25.

"Rock On" the way to Miller Time by tomfuller & Quill

LOL - I think you answered your own mystery with the 'when I snowshoed in there Feb. 25th' part.

:P:P:o