GeoCoins for Auction

princeshoko

Well I see all these geocoin sites and thought id create a site for the community by the community. To celebrate the grand opening of the new site I'm offering a few coins for sale and hope others follow suit.

Commercial link removed by moderator

Check out my auction, feel free to look at the other i got up for sale, and more to come.

Also feel free to put any you got for sale and spread the good word. Lets take selling and buying from the big e-place and keep auctions in the community.

PrinceShoko

(PS) Feedback welcome.

Edited by Eartha

.... for the community by the community.

Please don't throw around statements like this to promote a site that at the end of the day is of commercial nature. It may be cheaper to list/sell a geocoin there, just without the exposure to the numbers on ebay at this stage. :D

Good luck.

mm

thanks for the comments so far

, this may be a commercial venture, but it is a site for the community and by the community, sellers and buyers would all be people of the community.

but with what i've spent on server/software etc i doubt i'll ever profit from the idea of this site and im not worried about it at all.

It dont have number, today is release day, but i do hope that the community will embrace it.

-SD Anti-Gold

this is a special occasion so I listed one for sale. They are artist only editions of the coin.

(PS) Feedback welcome.

A couple questions.

What sort of buyer protection policy do you have in place?

How will you handle scams?

How will you handle fraud? (ie stolen items)

What actions will be taken against those who break the "rules"? And is it legal action?

What's to keep people from registering more than 1 account for the purpose of bidding up their own items (shill bidding)?

I'm sure I can think of more, but those are a good start.

Well I see all these geocoin sites and thought id create a site for the community by the community.

"For the community by the community"? By which "community" did this originate from? I feel as if I have been mis-represented this is the first I have heard of such site that we the community contributed to :D .

UO- I have it set for buyers and sellers to pay with normal payment options such as Paypal, paypal provides up to $1,000 buyer & seller protection.

Anyone found to abuse the system will be baned and blacklisted just like they would at the eplace. Also a feedback system is in place where you can comment on the sellers items.

How will you handle scams? Baning, and blacklisting as usual

How will you handle fraud? (ie stolen items) Stolen items if found to be stolen is terms for ban as well

What actions will be taken against those who break the "rules"? Baning and blacklisting. Needs to be an open friendly enviroment. If any legal action is necessary I have a lawyer on payroll.

What's to keep people from registering more than 1 account for the purpose of bidding up their own items (shill bidding)? IP address are loged and tracked by the server. They can be comparied also email addresses. This is also an issue on ebay that is hard to stop. And users play a big key in an auction enviroment by reporting activity that is less then friendly.

Damenace- The geocaching community, i and others who helped me on this project are of the community so you by "By the community" To speak in broad of a "Community" we "the builders, admin, testers" have tryed to capture the spirit of community.

We are a community, even if we all dont get along somtimes.

Edited by princeshoko

I'm thinking "by the community" just means by someone in the community which is true. Government "by the people" doesn't mean we're all in government.

Good luck on the venture, but I think I'll stick with trading or buying. Auctions from where ever tend to get out of hand as people overpay if they don't know all the avenues of acquiring a certain coin.

What's to keep people from registering more than 1 account for the purpose of bidding up their own items (shill bidding)? IP address are loged and tracked by the server. They can be comparied also email addresses. This is also an issue on ebay that is hard to stop. And users play a big key in an auction enviroment by reporting activity that is less then friendly.

I know you know your way around a computer and the internet, I've visited your site before, so Im sure you also know that there are a good many ways to avoid those things. Example using a School computer or library computer, or for the more skilled resetting IP's. I learned about shill bidding the hard way a couple years ago, a friend asked me to use my ebay id she said she didn't have one, so I let her. I go to log on one day and my account is banned. I had to go through several channels to reactivate my account in good standing. What I'm getting at is, are you saying you can handle it or do you already have it in place and tested?

Is this the Alpha test of your auction site? Beta? I'm certain it's not a full release with out any bug testing or is it?

Please understand I'm not trying to attack your or your idea. I also do work in the computer world and so have some experience with this sort of thing. i"m jsut trying to help point out things you may have overlooked :D

UO- Yes there are ways around everything. that is why logs are kept, and users keep watchful eyes on bid's an sells. Nothing can ever be 100% secure, but there are ways to make things so dificult for people that they will give up on scams, hacking, and so forth.

This site is not alpha, its 100% active and functional and if anything changes it will only be the design, and i may even lower fees. And offer games and contests where people can win credits. Like i said not looking to profit. I never do. The site software took a while to configure but there should be 0 bugs.

I know your not attacking the idea, and I love feedback good and bad it helps us grow.

Everything needed is in place, tested, and works.

To show my trust to the geo community I even have it set with a credit limit, you dont even have to pay to list, you get a tab.

I will also have my eye on this site for time to come to make sure everything runs happy for everyone if embrased and used by people

Like any new thing I dont expect people to flock to me at first, all I expect is to be given an opportunity

PrinceShoko

Edited by princeshoko

Just another observation......for a English site listing prices in US dollars being viewed by myself in Australia, just what is the timezones used when viewing the End time of an auction? The establishment of clear timezones when dealing with the international community is paramount to a pleasant experience.

Another issue to look at is to run a spell-check of some sort over the site, as catergory headings such as "cloathing" should be picked up early to maintain a professional feel.

BTW i like your statement "for the cachers, by the cachers" rather than stating "by the community" :-)

mm

Edited by Map Monkey

By the community and for the community, eh?

$19.95 as a minimum bid for one of your very own coin sales when that coin went for half that much from the original seller not even 24 hours ago?

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

So if it's 'by the community, for the community' why does it cost to sell on there? who gets the fee money? Is the fee money going to be put into a pot for the 'community' to use as the community see fit?

Or is this just an attempt to make a Geocoin Ebay company?

I'm sure it's the latter and I wish you luck.

It will more than likely take off, slowly at first, but I bet it will take off eventually. Just keep your fees lower than Ebay's and you should make it.

Good luck.

actually the fees will go to support the site. Along with any I have to pull out of pocket.

Software- $220one time

Server- $90month

Making a place for geocoin auctions- $Priceless.

Thanks 501

NP, I thought I ask the questions that were out there but no one asked yet!

It's a venture that might look like it won't work now, but think about the people that started the coin making companies a couple of years ago and look how they are doing now.

Best of luck, wish I would have thought of it!

Not interested. I will stay with Ebay. Also, perhaps you could have asked "the community" about this project before you jumped in so at least "the community" would have had input.

That was kind of my thought.

I second that.