I need a hat

BubbleDragon

I everyone!

I'm a very pale person. As such, I wear hats, a lot, in addition to the absolute gobs of sunscreen. But I'm looking for a hat that I can beat the heck out of. I want the brim to hold its shape for the most part, but still be ok if it, say... gets crushed under a backpack in the back seat of my car. Is that too tall of an order?

I'd -like- a leather hat, but I'd do ok with canvas. I'd like to be able to keep it on my head with a light scarf or a lanyard. I'd also like it to not look too too cowboy-ish. I don't know anything about hats. Can someone point me to a good hatmaker, where I can get a hat that will last me, and wear with me?

Here is my current favorite hat, but as you can see, it's more of a fashion hat. The top has two bumps in it, "cowgirl style", and while it came with the two sides curled up, the rim is made of metal, and I curled them down, so that it would give better shade coverage. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bubbledragon/232858554/ It crushes very nicely, as far as fashionable hats go. Heh.

Thanks a bunch, if anyone can help me!

You'll probably be surprised by the price of the Tilley hats, but you'll never wear it out, it's insured against loss for the first two years and against wearing out for life. There are many styles available, and if there were ever any doubt -you'll be easily identifiable as a "character" to one and all.

All the Tilley clothing is of the highest quality and they stand behind their merchandise 100% no questions asked. Ever. An outstanding business from our neighbors to the north.

Bag o'Tricks

These are pricey but VERY nice.

http://www.tilley.com/

The tilley hats are very nice. The only reason I haven't purchased one was the large air holes in the models I liked. I would wear it mostly in wet weather. But because BubbleDragon wants it for the sun I would highly recommend a Tilley hat. They certainly will last.

My wife has a Seattle Sombrero that she likes. It has more of a rainwear look, but will also work as a sun hat. For sun shade purposes my wife uses an Amish straw hat. Its more for watching a ball game or sitting on a beach than active wear though.

I'm a baseball cap guy. My Yankees hat and lots of sunscreen.

Some other less expensive than the Tilley possibilities:

Columbia Bora Bora Boonie

Adventure Sun Hat (though it looks like something Katherin Hepburn would wear in her On Golden Pond era.

Stowaway Solarstop Hat (if you don't mind looking like you are about to run away and join the French Foreign Legion).

The Tilley Hat also has a secret pocket which will hold a external gps antenna. Probably not as important if you have a new GPS with the SIRF chip. The external antenna works great if your GPS looses satellite coverage under heavy canopy. I need to drag out my Tilley Hat and start wearing it again.

I'll add another vote for Tilley Hats. Here's mine (no, that's not me).

LTM6-5.jpg

And you can just toss it in the washer, and it comes out good as new. Dries in about a half hour. They're guaranteed for life, and if you lose it, they're replace it at %50 of the catalog price. However, if you've got a really good story about how you lost it, they might give you a replacement for free.

Oh, and I catch 30% more fish when I'm wearing it. :P