Newb in NEPA!

matcat

Hey, I am a newb in the W-B area of NEPA, looking for any groups out in the area, or just some cool cachers in the area. I've known about geocaching ever since I first heard about it on ZDTV like 5-6 years ago, and always wanted to try it (Actually if I recall when they did the review on it it was pretty much a brand new thing), and here it is 6 years later, and I was considering the purchase of a Bluetooth GPSr to go along with my Palm TX, and in my considerations for purchase, I remembered about caching, and my decision was made! I havn't gone to find any caches yet, but I ordered my GPSr on friday, so hopefully it will be here by this weekend! Anyway, if anyone in the area has any tips, ideas, suggestions, etc, for my area, I would like to hear from you, as well as any interesting stories! Also I am new to NEPA, so I don't know too much about all this beutiful land around me (And no I do not mean W-B :blink:, but the mountains that surround me), and would really appreciate any good info on any of the trails, parks, etc in the area to check out in the spring.

Thanks!

MatCat

Matcat,

Welcome aboard and prepare yourself for a ride you hope never ends.

Being new to Geocaching and NEPA is a great combination. You get to learn a new hobby (addiction) and learn the wonders of the land about you. You are going to find a vast array of caches within reach from the utterly simple to the most challenging. Caches from deep in the valley to high in the mountains around.

There never has been a real organized group in NEPA but there still exists a great many cachers that stay connected from newbies like you to some of us seasoned folks that can count several years on the hunt. Every so often we do gather for a breakfast, picnic, group hunt, a CITCO or a camperoo.

If you have any questions or are looking for a fellow cacher to tag along, feel free to give me a shout.

So grab that new GPSr and saddle up pardner.

MtnDave

Hey, I am a newb in the W-B area of NEPA, looking for any groups out in the area, or just some cool cachers in the area.
No one can go wrong with starting on caches hidden by Rich. Try Archbald Pothole by Rich in NEPA, for example. Then do Seven Tubs by Rich in NEPA (placed in 2001), which gets harder and harder as the years go by.

While at Seven Tubs, also look for Reading is FUN!(damental) by Spoon! adopted by Team WBFD & Stiffler. Excellent booty nuggets at that cache!

Matcat,

If you have any questions or are looking for a fellow cacher to tag along, feel free to give me a shout.

MtnDave

Thanks! I look forward to finding and enjoying many cache in the area and where ever I may roam! And come spring time, I may just take you up on your offer as I venture to some more interesting caches like those listed above!

Hey, I am a newb in the W-B area of NEPA, looking for any groups out in the area, or just some cool cachers in the area.
No one can go wrong with starting on caches hidden by Rich. Try Archbald Pothole by Rich in NEPA, for example. Then do Seven Tubs by Rich in NEPA (placed in 2001), which gets harder and harder as the years go by.

While at Seven Tubs, also look for Reading is FUN!(damental) by Spoon! adopted by Team WBFD & Stiffler. Excellent booty nuggets at that cache!

Thanks for the recommendations! Those look like some really awesome caches, and are definitely on the top of my spring to do list!

Hey, I am a newb in the W-B area of NEPA, looking for any groups out in the area, or just some cool cachers in the area. I've known about geocaching ever since I first heard about it on ZDTV like 5-6 years ago, and always wanted to try it (Actually if I recall when they did the review on it it was pretty much a brand new thing), and here it is 6 years later, and I was considering the purchase of a Bluetooth GPSr to go along with my Palm TX, and in my considerations for purchase, I remembered about caching, and my decision was made! I havn't gone to find any caches yet, but I ordered my GPSr on friday, so hopefully it will be here by this weekend! Anyway, if anyone in the area has any tips, ideas, suggestions, etc, for my area, I would like to hear from you, as well as any interesting stories! Also I am new to NEPA, so I don't know too much about all this beutiful land around me (And no I do not mean W-B :P, but the mountains that surround me), and would really appreciate any good info on any of the trails, parks, etc in the area to check out in the spring.

Thanks!

MatCat

Welcome aboard MatCat! Nice to hear there's another cacher in NEPA starting in :o There are so many good places to start in our area that it's hard to choose where to begin. I would highly recommend Lackawanna State park caching (just above the Scranton and Dickson City area) as well as just absolutely anything by Rich in NEPA. This cacher has been the biggest inspiration for all of our caches to date. High quality and great places are a keystone of all his caches.

If you're looking for people to cache with, we're happy to say that we're on the Adopt-A-Newbie list and would welcome you to cache with us anytime. We tend to the long hikes and multis so if that's your cup of tea, you're more than welcome to join in :) I happen to work in Wilkes-Barre so I'd be happy to meet up with you at some point to point out some favorites, too. Just give us a PM or email and we'll go from there.

Hope to meet you out there on the trails :P

Woohoo...new cacher in the area! Welcome to the sport/obsession/game! We're "up the line" from you, but if you ever head north, feel free to give us a holler.

By the way, did you know that the new Groundspeak guidelines mandate that new cachers (people who joined after 1/1/07) MUST hide at least one cache per month? Ok, not really...but it would be nice. :o

(Sigh...cache withdrawal...too much snow...freezing wind chills...no quick caches left to find...too many buried caches...too cold for long hikes...horrible no-caches-to-find migraine...sigh) :P

(Sigh...cache withdrawal...too much snow...freezing wind chills...no quick caches left to find...too many buried caches...too cold for long hikes...horrible no-caches-to-find migraine...sigh) :P

I promise we're working on it, just got a dozen new ammo cans :P Thanks for the phone-a-friend even though we bombed with a DNF! See MatCat? Even more reasons to meet up with some locals! Desperate advice in the middle of winter storms! :o

If you're looking for people to cache with, we're happy to say that we're on the Adopt-A-Newbie list and would welcome you to cache with us anytime. We tend to the long hikes and multis so if that's your cup of tea, you're more than welcome to join in :D I happen to work in Wilkes-Barre so I'd be happy to meet up with you at some point to point out some favorites, too. Just give us a PM or email and we'll go from there.

Hope to meet you out there on the trails :P

Welcome MatCat:

Like Dave says, there is not much of an organized group here, but if there is anything you need to know just give us a holler.

When you're redy to hide some let me know I would be glad to help.

Hey...W-B ain't that bad if you BIELIEVE! lol

O'Bg

Miners Mills

Woohoo...new cacher in the area! Welcome to the sport/obsession/game! We're "up the line" from you, but if you ever head north, feel free to give us a holler.

By the way, did you know that the new Groundspeak guidelines mandate that new cachers (people who joined after 1/1/07) MUST hide at least one cache per month? Ok, not really...but it would be nice. :D

(Sigh...cache withdrawal...too much snow...freezing wind chills...no quick caches left to find...too many buried caches...too cold for long hikes...horrible no-caches-to-find migraine...sigh) B)

(Sigh...cache withdrawal...too much snow...freezing wind chills...no quick caches left to find...too many buried caches...too cold for long hikes...horrible no-caches-to-find migraine...sigh) :lol:

I promise we're working on it, just got a dozen new ammo cans :P Thanks for the phone-a-friend even though we bombed with a DNF! See MatCat? Even more reasons to meet up with some locals! Desperate advice in the middle of winter storms! B)

Thanks for all of the offers! I can't wait to get out and find all of these caches! And yes, once I have a few under my belt, I will put some caches of my own out there :P I havn't even found a cache yet (Still waiting on GPSr in the mail, I hate waiting for mail :P), but I feel the addiction is already here :P Been spending a LOt of time reading the forums, studying up on caches and benchmarks in the area, and already thinking up some places to put some! hehe. I noticed that within the W-B city area, almost all of the caches are Micros, and I have a few plans to put some non-micros in the area, hehe. Anyway, I'm glad to see such a warm response, and hope to keep seeing all of these good tips, comments, and ideas rolling in on this thread! Maybe will bring some extra geo-life to the NEPA area :P (Though the area already seems to have a lot going on, hehe).

Matcat,

Being new to Geocaching and NEPA is a great combination. You get to learn a new hobby (addiction) and learn the wonders of the land about you. You are going to find a vast array of caches within reach from the utterly simple to the most challenging. Caches from deep in the valley to high in the mountains around.

There never has been a real organized group in NEPA but there still exists a great many cachers that stay connected from newbies like you to some of us seasoned folks that can count several years on the hunt. Every so often we do gather for a breakfast, picnic, group hunt, a CITCO or a camperoo.

MtnDave

I'm not from NEPA, but a former frequent visitor. (Mostly before geocaching existed). But I'll probably be making my first appearance on the local geocaching scene in 2 years for this years Pocono 500. :lol:

Anything by Rich in NEPA is a no brainer, of course. :PEdge of a ledge originally by Renegade Jane, adopted by Stiffler (outside of Dunmore), is one of my all-time favorites, a great hike, almost 3 miles round trip if I remember correctly. I've met JoeHook, and never found any of his caches, but several of them in the Mount Cobb area look excellent, yet easy for beginners. Hope to hit several with my 7 yr. old in June.

I don't believe there has been a serious effort to organize in NEPA, but negeocaching.com is run by a well-known W-B area cacher. It has lots of good information, even though the forums are pretty much dead. :P

Hey, can anyone recommend a nice small clean, family-owned type motel for the Pocono 500? It's tough to find those places on the web.

I was considering the purchase of a Bluetooth GPSr to go along with my Palm TX, and in my considerations for purchase, I remembered about caching, and my decision was made! I havn't gone to find any caches yet, but I ordered my GPSr on friday, so hopefully it will be here by this weekend!

Thanks!

MatCat

MatCat, be careful with that great Palm TX! I use one, but only for data and internet connection. I have gone paperless and use the TX to store the cache data for reference in the field - but it stays in its aluminum case and in my day pack until I need to refer to it. Remember the TX is NOT waterproof and is a fairly delicate piece of equipment. There are waterproof and shock resistant cases that are made for it, and I would certainly make sure I had one if the TX was my primary navigation tool when out of the vehicle. (I think the most likely scenario is tripping and falling while walking and trying to watch the screen at the same time - not that I would have ever done anything like that - LOL.) Just my $0.02.

I promise we're working on it, just got a dozen new ammo cans :P Thanks for the phone-a-friend even though we bombed with a DNF! See MatCat? Even more reasons to meet up with some locals! Desperate advice in the middle of winter storms! :anibad:

Yeah, we have some ammo cans all painted up and ready to go too. However, we practically broke a few ankles trying to get to the gazebo in Kennedy Park to hide a "cache withdrawal antidote" a couple of days ago, so unless the good Lord either melts the snow or deposits snowshoes on our back porch, we won't be hiding anything in the near future.

Also, I hope we'll be seeing your friend from Saturday's cache hunt on the forums and on the trail soon. Encourage him to buy a GPS pronto! Then he can help you dig through the snow at Z28!

By the way, if anyone in NEPA needs ammo cans, try the Saturday-Sunday flea market in the old Sugerman's building on Route 6 in Eynon. There is an old guy in the back on the right who sells military surplus and we got 6 small ammo cans for just $4 total.

MatCat, be careful with that great Palm TX! I use one, but only for data and internet connection. I have gone paperless and use the TX to store the cache data for reference in the field - but it stays in its aluminum case and in my day pack until I need to refer to it. Remember the TX is NOT waterproof and is a fairly delicate piece of equipment. There are waterproof and shock resistant cases that are made for it, and I would certainly make sure I had one if the TX was my primary navigation tool when out of the vehicle. (I think the most likely scenario is tripping and falling while walking and trying to watch the screen at the same time - not that I would have ever done anything like that - LOL.) Just my $0.02.

I have and use a very rugid aircraft aluminium case as it is, I baby my TX, so I am quite careful with it, and I have dropped it before onto asphalt, cement, etc (Only like 3 times total :P), and not a scratch. PLus I never use it outside of the case, so that always helps (It tends to self close when falling). More then likely I wouldnt be paying too much attention to the screen while navigating until I had too, I tend to have a good sense of direction and try to keep a few steps ahead fresh in my mind while moving about.

Woohoo found my first cache Just a Cache ! Got me so excited! hehe. My GPSr finally arrived today, so while riding after helping my friend change his trucks spark plugs and wires, I noticed on my screen a cache right in our path! So I said HEY, pull in over there! Found it after a few minutes! Looked high and low and there it was, a 35mm film canister. I feel like a kid in a candy store, I'm hooked. Even got a CITO magnet as a momento! I felt bad though, all I had to trade that would fit was a dime, but I guess its better then nothing. Anyway, I have a lot of coordinates to program into my PDA :huh:.

Woohoo found my first cache Just a Cache ! Got me so excited! hehe. My GPSr finally arrived today, so while riding after helping my friend change his trucks spark plugs and wires, I noticed on my screen a cache right in our path! So I said HEY, pull in over there! Found it after a few minutes! Looked high and low and there it was, a 35mm film canister. I feel like a kid in a candy store, I'm hooked. Even got a CITO magnet as a momento! I felt bad though, all I had to trade that would fit was a dime, but I guess its better then nothing. Anyway, I have a lot of coordinates to program into my PDA :(.

And so it begins. First one little cache.........then another and another. ENJOY !!!! :(

MtnDave

Hi there!

I just got my first "outdoor" GPS this week, and am dying to go hunting. I never even heard about geocaching until this month. I was pretty amazed at all there is on this sport...and the whole"muggle" thing is highly humorous to me, heh.

I live about halfway between WB and Scranton, and I'm raring to go once this glacier underfoot dies. This southern boy is STILL not liking these PA winters.

I plan on going the Susquehannah caches around the Pittston area for starters, after the thaw.

Hi there!

I just got my first "outdoor" GPS this week, and am dying to go hunting. I never even heard about geocaching until this month. I was pretty amazed at all there is on this sport...and the whole"muggle" thing is highly humorous to me, heh.

I live about halfway between WB and Scranton, and I'm raring to go once this glacier underfoot dies. This southern boy is STILL not liking these PA winters.

I plan on going the Susquehannah caches around the Pittston area for starters, after the thaw.

There are a lot of awesome looking caches in the area. Tomorrow I am going to hit as many caches as I can close to my area, I am hoping to successfully find Box of Blues, Hit the Bricks, Round and around you go, and a few benchmarks. If your not busy tomorrow, perhaps we could team up and get em together :rolleyes:. Box of Blues and Hit the Bricks havnt been found since December! We need to bring them into the new year! hehe.

While not a NEPA "regular", we are up your way a few times/year via our family's 2nd home in Drums and one place with 3 caches in it that we enjoyed was Hazle Township park off Airport Road just north of Hazleton. This one in particular was a great cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...de-5210d68c8fdd

Another one we liked (a bit of a road trip for you since it's a ways to the south on I-81 and you're 20 miles north of where we stay, but extremely fascinating) was the Centralia earthcache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...99-fa7301365d7f

There's also a couple of caches on the I-81 rest stops just south of you that unlike most "rest stop" caches are actually full boxes with swag in the woods and not magnetic micros on a guardrail, etc.

Next time we're up there (probably Mem. Day weekend) we hope to do the "tornado damage" cache that Frenchfryandfrosty put up (it's right near you, in Mountain Top), there's a similar cache we found a couple of months ago here in Westchester County, NY where we live.

Enjoy and good luck!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

If your not busy tomorrow, perhaps we could team up and get em together :rolleyes:. Box of Blues and Hit the Bricks havnt been found since December! We need to bring them into the new year! hehe.

Kids and work have this w/e tied up pretty good, but I'd definitley be down with a search sometime. I might even be able to break away Sunday morning/very early afternoon for some "easy one/s" (as said from a guy who's never found one ever, lol).

If your not busy tomorrow, perhaps we could team up and get em together :rolleyes:. Box of Blues and Hit the Bricks havnt been found since December! We need to bring them into the new year! hehe.

Kids and work have this w/e tied up pretty good, but I'd definitley be down with a search sometime. I might even be able to break away Sunday morning/very early afternoon for some "easy one/s" (as said from a guy who's never found one ever, lol).

Hehe, I've only found two sofar, micros at that, and both were fairly quite easy. "Always 30" and "Just a Cache", are very easy, aswell as Off Your Rockers, I should of gotten that one when I did Always 30, but I had something I needed to do while I was at that location, so time limited me (Always 30 and Off Your Rocker are only a few hundred feet from eachother).

Edited by matcat

Hello matcat and everyone.

I have been way out of touch with with caching, (even let my premium lapse for a bit) due to a bunch of life issues.

I am from the Hazleton area, and I need to find many caches in your area. I'll PM you my e-mail address, feel free to give me a shout. I'll be getting back out as soon as you don't need an ice chopper to find a cache, lol.

Hello matcat and everyone.

I have been way out of touch with with caching, (even let my premium lapse for a bit) due to a bunch of life issues.

I am from the Hazleton area, and I need to find many caches in your area. I'll PM you my e-mail address, feel free to give me a shout. I'll be getting back out as soon as you don't need an ice chopper to find a cache, lol.

Howdy Bottlecap! Wow, haven't seen you since the Top of the Mountain M-N-G. Good to know you're looking to get out there again :D We'll have to get a group together soon for a day of caching. Maybe put together something like Packanack's Sunrise Stepoff. Hope to see you out their on a trail soon. :angry:

Howdy Bottlecap! Wow, haven't seen you since the Top of the Mountain M-N-G. Good to know you're looking to get out there again :D We'll have to get a group together soon for a day of caching. Maybe put together something like Packanack's Sunrise Stepoff. Hope to see you out their on a trail soon. :angry:

Actually, I am already looking to try to put together some sort of an event :angry: Just looking for more experienced cachers to help me out, hehe.

Howdy Bottlecap! Wow, haven't seen you since the Top of the Mountain M-N-G. Good to know you're looking to get out there again :angry: We'll have to get a group together soon for a day of caching. Maybe put together something like Packanack's Sunrise Stepoff. Hope to see you out their on a trail soon. :D

Actually, I am already looking to try to put together some sort of an event :angry: Just looking for more experienced cachers to help me out, hehe.

What do you have in mind? Weekend mornings tend to be best for me/us. I can help spread the word a bit to the folks locally who don't always visit the forums, too. If you're looking for a nice hike and a number of caches in a relatively close area both the Lackawana State Park and Ricketts Glen State Park might be good start points. :blink:

Howdy Bottlecap! Wow, haven't seen you since the Top of the Mountain M-N-G. Good to know you're looking to get out there again :angry: We'll have to get a group together soon for a day of caching. Maybe put together something like Packanack's Sunrise Stepoff. Hope to see you out their on a trail soon. :D

What do you have in mind? Weekend mornings tend to be best for me/us. I can help spread the word a bit to the folks locally who don't always visit the forums, too. If you're looking for a nice hike and a number of caches in a relatively close area both the Lackawana State Park and Ricketts Glen State Park might be good start points. :blink:

Yes, I was most deffinately thinking of something on the weekend, as I work m-f. Well, something that would make for a nice meet and greet, your idea to do something like the NJ sunrise trail is a great idea.

Yes, I was most deffinately thinking of something on the weekend, as I work m-f. Well, something that would make for a nice meet and greet, your idea to do something like the NJ sunrise trail is a great idea.

Maybe a meet-at-the-parking area startoff and hike 'til noon. We can find a good local spot for lunch and then tackle the rest of the day. Ol Blues Guy might know a good spot near the park for grub. I'm always up for pack-your-lunch caching, too.

Maybe a meet-at-the-parking area startoff and hike 'til noon. We can find a good local spot for lunch and then tackle the rest of the day. Ol Blues Guy might know a good spot near the park for grub. I'm always up for pack-your-lunch caching, too.

Sounds great to me! Now we just need to figure out a good date :sad: And spread the word, hehe.

Actually, I am already looking to try to put together some sort of an event :blink: Just looking for more experienced cachers to help me out, hehe.

What do you have in mind? Weekend mornings tend to be best for me/us. I can help spread the word a bit to the folks locally who don't always visit the forums, too. If you're looking for a nice hike and a number of caches in a relatively close area both the Lackawana State Park and Ricketts Glen State Park might be good start points. :sad:

Sounds great to me! Now we just need to figure out a good date :huh: And spread the word, hehe.

Depending on the date and weather, I might also bring a canoe so we can reach the island cache (if it's at Ricketts), too. Otherwise, a little bit of research and a list of available caches and coords to hand out might be nice. Now just have to check the calendar (wife) for open weekends. :angry:

Actually, I am already looking to try to put together some sort of an event :blink: Just looking for more experienced cachers to help me out, hehe.

What do you have in mind? Weekend mornings tend to be best for me/us. I can help spread the word a bit to the folks locally who don't always visit the forums, too. If you're looking for a nice hike and a number of caches in a relatively close area both the Lackawana State Park and Ricketts Glen State Park might be good start points. :sad:

Sounds great to me! Now we just need to figure out a good date :huh: And spread the word, hehe.

Depending on the date and weather, I might also bring a canoe so we can reach the island cache (if it's at Ricketts), too. Otherwise, a little bit of research and a list of available caches and coords to hand out might be nice. Now just have to check the calendar (wife) for open weekends. :angry:

hehe, sounds like a great idea, I would shoot for something mid april to late april. Would be nice if a few people got out there and seeded some extra caches too to be published for the day.

Geeezzzz,

I go away for a few days and look what happens.

So I see some names I lost track of. Howdy.

So let me toss a few things at you for food for thought. I have been looking for someplace to do a mid-week, evening meet and greet before mid-April. I was looking at maybe a "wing thing". Fisrt shot was the Chicken Coop but that plan fell in (literrally, the big room is gone) snow cave-in. Bear and I tried out an alternate site last week, Real nice room w/fireplace, folks want us there but wings were anorexic and they did not agree w/Bear's digestive track. Strike two. Several other selections either panned out poor service, poor food or just not right.

I was away over the last several days and not had a chance to do any scouting. Someone did suggest the Grotto. I would like to finish what I had in mind but need some centrally located suggestions. I'll get the ball rolling and set up. Co-coordinators welcome.

This weekend I am conducting a Geocaching class to 2 Girl Scout groups to assist them in earning their High Tech, Hide and SEEK, IPP patch. Yes, the gals have an actual patch & program for Geocaching but the Boy Scouts don't, go figure. This is a multi stage patch earning program and this is the first part. Down the road after they do their homework they all have to find a cache. There are about 15 ladies and their leaders involved. To get the most bang for the buck I will be recruiting local cachers to assist so they don't have to all crowd around 1 or 2 GPSr's. We are probably 4-5 weeks away on that portion. After that they they have to hide their own cache. THEN , after all this they will have earned their patch. I am also supplying them with a TB tag to use. Volenteers welcome, just e-mail me.

NEXT, I have quite a bit of materials (gloves, bags, etc) leftover from the CITO @ the Tubs last year. I want to set up a spring CITO somewhere. Maybe I can get a re-invite from our friends at Moon Lake. We have done so in the past and actually did a camp-in CITO.

I would also like to see a warm weather picinic and maybe even a camperoo (Ala, Red Rock & Rolls of long ago).

Well, as you can see I been thinking and got a lot on the platter at one time but gotta get it cooking.

Oh yea, if that's not enough I have several caches in various stages of develpoment but waiting for better weather to finalize.

SO, there is some food for thought for all the newbies and us oldsters too. So "Here's yer Sign".

MtnDave

Edited by mtndave

I have a comment for mtndave:

Go Man Go :D:blink:

You missed a few days, try missing well over half a year.

Lots of really cool ideas out there, and any help I can provide is freely given. My weekends are basically wide open, until football season that is, and am more than willing to help. Expect e-mail Dave.

I have a question for fox and hound:

Did fox ever figure out what a trail is for? :blink::D

NEXT, I have quite a bit of materials (gloves, bags, etc) leftover from the CITO @ the Tubs last year. I want to set up a spring CITO somewhere. Maybe I can get a re-invite from our friends at Moon Lake. We have done so in the past and actually did a camp-in CITO.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet, mtndave.

<waves to whistler>

Thanks for the caches that brightened up last Sunday for me! :D

(Funny you mentioned Kennedy park in this thread. I pulled into the lot, looked around, and ran screaming at the idea of traipsing around for a multi in the snow still piled up in that park! I can be so lazy sometimes! :) )

<waves to whistler>

Thanks for the caches that brightened up last Sunday for me! :D

(Funny you mentioned Kennedy park in this thread. I pulled into the lot, looked around, and ran screaming at the idea of traipsing around for a multi in the snow still piled up in that park! I can be so lazy sometimes! :) )

I noticed you used the term "blessed" in regard to snow in several of your logs. Well, we're pretty %$@!&? "BLESSED" now. You might want to pay a return visit!

Howdy Denali7,

Nice to hear from you again :( Hope you're enjoying all this blessedly beautiful snow! Fox and I went and climbed Cary Mountain today in snowshoes today to run a maintenance check on Got Skills? and guess what we found? (Whistler already knows where this is heading since he's been through it) The final cache was completely encased in many inches of ice and covered over with a couple feet of snow. The unique resting spot of the cache has buried under so much ice that we couldn't chop it out with an ice axe after almost 30 minutes of pounding! I'll head back next Saturday with a hammer and chisel I think though. Hate to have to disable it for any extended amount of time. :ph34r: So if you like the snow, get out and enjoy while it's around because I think most of it is going to be gone later this week if the warm up really happens.

Hey, we should tell Avalance about the group forming, too. :ph34r:

Hey, we should tell Avalance about the group forming, too. :D

Funny, I just e-mailed Avalance just moments ago, as well as several others about the new Forum.

Spread the word.

I hope all the people from that Summer's End event hear about this. What a nice group, and an excellent event!