Shopping for my own birthday gift

I'm getting a new GPS for my birthday, and I'm being very careful about what I ask for.

I don't need a color display or auto-routing, but I do have a fairly long list of "should have" and "must have" details on my wish list.

These three criteria seem to have narrowed it down to the Magellan eXplorist 400 Wilderness Bundle for now:

1) Under $250 delivered, for GPS and mapping software. New, not used or refurb.

2) Map software has to include topo data and street level details, including street names.

3) GPS has to be able to display elevation profiles as well as topo lines.

Point 2 knocked Garmin off my list. Their topo packages show most streets as lines, without showing the names. I think you can buy and load more than one of their map programs together, but not within the pricing guideline of point 1.

Point 3 knocked Lowrance off. Their MapCreate Topo program will show both street detail and topo lines, but not elevation profiles.

Keeping all three of those "must have" points in mind, does anyone have suggestions for brands, models, or packages I might have overlooked?

I'm getting a new GPS for my birthday, and I'm being very careful about what I ask for.

I don't need a color display or auto-routing, but I do have a fairly long list of "should have" and "must have" details on my wish list.

These three criteria seem to have narrowed it down to the Magellan eXplorist 400 Wilderness Bundle for now:

2) Map software has to include topo data and street level details, including street names.

Point 2 knocked Garmin off my list. Their topo packages show most streets as lines, without showing the names. I think you can buy and load more than one of their map programs together, but not within the pricing guideline of point 1.

Point 3 knocked Lowrance off. Their MapCreate Topo program will show both street detail and topo lines, but not elevation profiles.

Keeping all three of those "must have" points in mind, does anyone have suggestions for brands, models, or packages I might have overlooked?

Personally I don't like greyscale too much I find the contrast makes it hard to read without reading glasses. That being said for about the same price you can get the eXplorist 500 which is 16 color and probably easier to read. I assume you are a hiker because you need the topo info I am not sure if the 500 can be packaged with the topo however I do know they do bundle it with navigator software for sure. Just my 2 cents.

Ray

Lee check this out:

http://www.tigergps.com/magellanexp500adv.html

Ray

Brunton, and Delorme may be worth a look. Both have new GPSs that have some great new features that may (or may not) fit the bill.

They may stumble on Point 2, and may push your price on Point 1. Sounds like you have done your homework and the only thing left is to either find a must have feature you didn't know about or to confirm that you have found the one that does what you want.

You want this on the GPS, Lee? MapSendTopo3D does it PC side, but unless it's eluded me, the Explorist won't show an elevation profile. Meridians used to show a profile for a projection, but not a track IIRC.

Somebody mentioned the DeLorme, but will start at $360 unless you already have the TopoUSA6 program (in which case they were knocking $60 off).

Edit: Pass the salt; gotta eat my words. I never realized that the Explorist offered profiles not only for tracks, but also roads and routes. I'd say go for that 500LE package, too. I don't think you gain much in battery time with the 400, although you'll probably want to spend a little more to get set up with the Li-Ion battery.

Edited by embra