Original Stash: 7 Year Anniversary Geocoin

Redwing_dave

The 7th Anniversary of Geocaching is less than a month away, and the 7th Anniversary Edition of the Original Stash Coins are minted, in-hand, and ready to be shipped (they turned out GREAT). The sale will begin tomorrow, April 11th at 9:00 AM Mountain Time. If you order early, you should have your coins in plenty of time to celebrate on May 3rd. Since the 7th anniversary is the Copper anniversary, I'm proud to present the Copper Coin and Pin.....

for_forums1.jpg

Each 7th Anniversary Copper Coin comes with a matching Anniversary Copper Pin for $10 US. The Coins measure a massive 2"x 2". The anniversary coins also feature a NEW CUSTOM copper-hue #7 anniversary ICON designed by none other than Yemon Yime (thanks again Yime). Yes, they are trackable on Geocaching.com. A total of 750 of the Anniversary coins were minted, and after they are sold out, they will NEVER be made again in this finish. (Just to keep the record straight there are a very limited number of Shiny-polished copper coins that were also minted as a Designer's Anniversary Edition. These coins are in the hands of myself and Team360, and will not be part of this sale.)

Going on sale at the same time will be 350 of the Standard Edition Original Stash Coins. Because of the timeless nature of this coin design, and its appeal and meaning to new cachers entering the sport as well as those who may have missed out last time around, the antique bronze edition will not be retired, and we reserve the right to mint additional coins from this version periodically. Pricing for the standard edition coins is the same as the anniversary coins, but they come with the classic Original Stash Pin and Icon (another Yime original :lol: ).

At one point I had mentioned that I would release my "da Vinci Coin" 3-coin-set at the same time as the Anniversary Stash Coins to allow combined shipping, however due to a problem with one of the dies in that set, they're not quite finished. To make sure that the Stash coins arrive in time for the Anniversary, I've had to separate the two sales. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes, but I trust that the majority of you would rather have the Anniversary coins before the actual anniversary rather than wait for the others to arrive (but keep your eyes peeled for the da Vinci coins, because they're going to be Sizzlin').

With that said, here is the ordering URL for the Original Stash Classic and 7th Anniversary coins:ORDER HERE!!!

Let me know if you have any questions, but it might be a bit before I get back to you, cause I'm tired, and I'm headed off to bed. :lol: Have a great night, and we'll see you all (in a virtual sorta way) tomorrow morning!!! :laughing:

We've still got some coins for sale. They're packaged and ready to ship, so get 'em while they're hot. Once the coppers are gone, they're gone for good.

Edited by Redwing_dave

Is any of the money from the sale of the coins going to give the plaque a touch-up?

I was actually going to take my huge wad of cash from the coin sales and retire in Belize, but then I realized that I didn't even have enough for a GreyHound Bus ride to the Mexico border. Since I couldn't retire a millionaire, I decided to do something more altruistic. It came to my attention that several Sherpa had been attacked and killed by Yeti while helping self-serving Westerners find this cache near Mt. Everest. Sadly, Pepsi found out in 2003 that even super-potent pepper spray wasn't effective against an attack from a full grown Yeti (the jury is still out on its effects against the Yearling Yetis). I decided to use my funds, and my scientific knowledge to develop a lightweight Yeti-proof suit to protect the Sherpa (it's complex, but in brief, it involves the fusion Goretex, Kevlar, and aluminum foil in a superconductor [patent pending]). Unfortunately I didn't have the funds to rent a superconductor for a weekend to produce a sample. So I took my wad of cash to Vegas in hopes that my altruism would bring me good Karma, and I'd come back with enough money to save the Sherpa from these vicious attacks. Unfortunately there must have been a flaw in my Karma because I ended up losing everything, including my car, and had to hitch a ride home with a smelly old man. My Karma must really be messed. :rolleyes:

Fortunately Team360 had other plans for his big wad of cash. Jeff (Team360) is unable to post at this time, so I will do my best to represent him.

I received this message from Jeff a few days ago "I am on my way out to the Plaque on May 2 and will be spending all day repainting and cleaning up the area, so it will be in great shape for the May 3rd Anniversary! I already have my plane ticket and car rental all lined up..." Jeff made this same trip last year for the anniversary, as well as several times before that. As with most coin designers, I don't feel obliged to share a full financial disclosure, but suffice it to say the income from this project doesn't even put a dent in Jeff's out-of-pocket expenditures to keep the plaque in good condition over the years.

As a side note, my picture from the plaque was from February 2006 (a few months before Jeff's 2006 visit). Also, since the plaque is just above ground level, it is easy for it to become covered in dirt and debris. I visited during a downpour that had splashed a lot of mud and debris onto the plaque. Suffice it to say that most of what looks like wear-and-tear in my picture is just spattered gunk from the rainstorm. As mentioned above, Jeff makes sure that the real wear-and-tear is regularly touched-up. Because there is so much debris in the area of the plaque, it doesn't stay clean for long. This more recent picture may be a little more demonstrative of how little wear-and-tear there is on the plaque vs. how susceptible it is to get covered in gunk from the surrounding area:

dea86b24-08a5-4c2c-b39f-f5eb7f8a1baf.jpg

Thanks for your concern for the plaque. Pictures don't do it justice. Take a visit, and you'll see that it remains in great shape despite the stresses of nature (and cachers :rolleyes: ). We all want this to be a place where Geocachers everywhere can come to get that special sense of "This is where it all began." I get goose bumps just remembering what it was like being there. I hope every cacher out there will have the chance to make the homage someday. <_<

All the Best,

-REDWING_DAVE

P.S. Original Stash Coins are still available HERE!! Order now to make sure you have them for the May 3rd Anniversary. :laughing:

Well, our coins arrived today...

2 of the Anniversary Edition and 2 original version.

3 of the 4 coins have the OS prefix, but one of the original gold versions has a PS prefix????? We haven't tried activating it yet, but do some of the original versions have a different prefix??

Edit: We tried to activate the coin at The Caching Place and this comes up: We're sorry the tracking code PSXXXX was not found in our database.

However, when we looked on gc.com, it does show up as being a valid tracking number. Hmmmm

Edited by lindsychris

Well, our coins arrived today...

2 of the Anniversary Edition and 2 original version.

3 of the 4 coins have the OS prefix, but one of the original gold versions has a PS prefix????? We haven't tried activating it yet, but do some of the original versions have a different prefix??

Edit: We tried to activate the coin at The Caching Place and this comes up: We're sorry the tracking code PSXXXX was not found in our database.

However, when we looked on gc.com, it does show up as being a valid tracking number. Hmmmm

All of the coins should come with an OS prefix. It looks like you've got yourself a mint error there. I personally can't do anything about this, but please contact the folks at thecachingplace.com and I'm sure they'll take care of you. Sorry for the trouble.

Let me know how it turns out.

-Dave

I just got my 7th Anniversary coin today...but no custom icon? :D

Sorry about the trouble. I just activated my own OS coin and my Polished Copper Designer's Edition coin :D, but unfortunately the custom icon didn't show up (in fact, no icon showed up). :D I assure you the icons are submitted/approved, and paid for, so I'll look into it and get back to you. Thanks for letting me know.

-Dave

On May 3rd, 2007 we celebrate 7 years of Geocaching! :anicute:

To help commemorate this event, Team360 and myself are releasing a Special Edition 7th Anniversary Original Stash Geocoin. Why a 7th anniversary question, you ask? Because 7 is a very special number: the 4th prime number, 7 days in a week (which gives us 7 days to cache :laughing: ), 7-year itch, 7 years of bad luck, 7 dwarves, 7 wonders of the world, 7 deadly sins, 7 habits of highly effective cachers, etc. Also, I've heard that if you ask a person what number comes to mind immediately when they hear the word carrot, the majority of people will respond "seven" (I've never been able to verify this one, so maybe you all can help me out by testing it on your loved ones). To find out more cool facts about the number 7, click here. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, THIS GREAT SPORT HAS NOT ONLY LASTED 7 YEARS, BUT IT CONTINUES TO GROW AND SPREAD AROUND THE GLOBE. THIS IS A PERFECT CHANCE TO LOOK BACK AT THE ROOTS OF GEOCACHING!

If you are familiar with anniversary gift giving guidelines you know that we had two options for this coin, WOOL or COPPER. Although a wool coin would definitely be interesting, we decided to go with Copper. The coin will be the same as the regular version 2 (with the registered trademark symbol) Original Stash Geocoins, except they will be Antique Copper, rather than Antique Bronze. They will be trackable with the OS prefix, but will have a special 7th anniversary icon (Icon yet to be unveiled). Only 750 of these coins will ever be made. Regardless of how much you beg or plead, once the 750 are gone, they're gone for good, and no other copper Original Stash coins will ever be released again. The only exception is that Team360 and myself may make a limited run (i.e. 50 coins) of POLISHED COPPER Designer's edition coins for the 7th anniversary run. Designer's edition coins will not be available for sale with the standard anniversary coins, they'll only be available from Team360 or myself (please no trade requests yet, we haven't even verified that we'll be making the polished copper coins yet). All coins will come with a commemorative Copper Original Stash Pin. We are planning to sell the coins/pins in time to allow delivery before May 03, 2007. We do not yet have a "for sale date." Although we'd love for you to express your interest in this forum thread, this is not a presale or reserve thread. Please watch the geocoin forums for the SALE DATE announcement.

Team360 and myself have also had several requests to mint additional REGULAR EDITION ORIGINAL STASH geocoins. When we first announced the Original Stash Geocoins, we specified that additional coins may be minted according to demand. Our thought at the time was that with the timeless nature of this coin, and the significance of the Original Stash, we would like anyone who wants an Original Stash coin to have a reasonable shot at getting one (not unlike Crake's policy). You can view the original thread HERE if you have any questions about the original minting. That being said, we would like to hear from YOU, regarding whether you're ready for another run of Original Stash coins, and if so, how many you'd be interested in (once again, not a reservation list, just helps us have an idea of whether to proceed). These coins would also be the regular edition version 2 coins (the ones with the registered trademark symbol which was accidentally left off of version 1) with the standard icon. For your reference there were 1000 version 1 coins made (never to be made again, since we accidentally left off the registered trademark symbol), 250 version 2 coins (same as v.1 but had the trademark symbol), and 20 Designer's edition version 2 coins (unpainted antique bronze, otherwise identical to version 2).

If you have no idea what an original stash coin looks like, here's a graphic. Remember, the anniversary coins will be COPPER, instead of bronze, and will have a different Icon:

Originalstashforforumsrevised.jpg

When posting wants, please let us know whether you are interested in the Standard Edition, Anniversary Edition, or Both. Thanks.

Thanks for looking. We hope you enjoy the Anniversary Edition Coins.

Best Regards,

Redwing_Dave & Team360

I would like 2 of ech of the original statch 7 year annivsary coins if you have any left. Please let me know if ava.

Thanks

rscout79

Sorry, somehow I became unsubscribed from this thread. :D

Although the 7th anniversary has come and gone, we still have some of the 7th Anniversary Geocoins available. Once our stock is gone, the copper coins are gone forever. They can be ordered HERE. We also have a few Standard Issue Original Stash coins in stock still too if you're interested in them.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

-RD :D