What's the fastest mph you have seen on your GPS?

My GPS gave me a little fit this weekend and showed me traveling 2975 mph and 153 miles from the cache when I was less than .10 from it. I recorded 104 mph on the autobahn (I know that's pretty weak for the autobahn, but it was in a Mazda 3 loaded with luggage). My recent trip to Australia had me at 530 mph in a big ol 747, when I checked it.

regarding the airplanes. I tried to use it on jet blue/continental flights in january. (after we were in the air when they were allowed) i had it on for a while about 15 minutes, couldnt get any satellites. I am flying again in april, i want to try to get it working for then.

regarding the airplanes. I tried to use it on jet blue/continental flights in january. (after we were in the air when they were allowed) i had it on for a while about 15 minutes, couldnt get any satellites. I am flying again in april, i want to try to get it working for then.

Two words: Window seat.

thats where i was,,,,i had it literally against the window. And yes the gps part was turned on.

I like to fly Continental as their policy allows the use of GPS in flight (above 10K ft). I have used my explorist 300 and Legend with equal success at a window seat but I have to have it perpendicular to window for the best reception.

Edited by D@nim@l

95 on the F250 CacheMobile (not going to a cache). That's when the governor kicked in. :blink:

137 on my Harley (FXDWG, also not going to a cache). That's when I ran out of nerve. :blink:

Dr. P

"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.... 'Holy Smoke.... What a Ride!'"

I like to fly Continental as their policy allows the use of GPS in flight (above 10K ft). I have used my explorist 300 and Legend with equal success at a window seat but I have to have it perpendicular to window for the best reception.

i hoping for it to work in april. Jet blue has a gps type thing on their personal tv headrests...they show you where you are on a map and how fast u r going as well as height....that was pretty cool.

While as I was standing still on a ridge in Florida (elevation ~ 145 feet) my gpsr reported elevations of 18000+ and speeds of over 120 mph. I got a picture, it shows the elevation, but the speed in the shot is only 1.8 mph

The unit was sitting on a stump.

I didn't use the coords it gave me for the cache I hid that day.

3ea48058-896f-49f4-8605-182f35e45e46.jpg

Next time hold it by the window. On Jet Blue the stewardesses will give you grief if they see it..

Next time hold it by the window. On Jet Blue the stewardesses will give you grief if they see it..

Nothing a stretched out relaxing arm cant fix :blink:

I have 2673 mph on mine, I just had it sitting inside charging and took a glance at it as I walked by and it was showing my location in Utah, next minute is was showing my true location thats when I checked my speed.

I have seen over 1400 on my old (still in service) Garmin Street Pilot a few times. It happened kinda often when I first got the 2001 Jeep (which is now long gone) but an outside antenna fixed it for the most part. There are still occasions when it gives a quick reading in excess of 200 particularly amongst tall buildings and for some reason when in a nearly open area on the IN IL border. No idea why the IN IL anomaly happens.

Fastest CORRECT reading was about 500 or so last month on Southwest from Indy to Vegas. I didn't keep exact record.

I tried bringing my GPS on an American Airlines plane but was told no. Other than that, my max speed is in the mid 90's from a train ride.

Did you actually ask the captain or just read the flight info magazine? Cuz' I've never had a captain tell me no.

I always ask a senior member of the flight crew to ask on my behalf. They think it's pretty cool that someone would want to track the flight with a GPS.

And you can always bring it on the plane, you just might be told that you cannot operate it.

On my old Magellan Map 330 it read 649 mph at 42,000 + coming back from Las Vegas to Newark, NJ in 2004. We were an hour behind schedule and the capt was trying to get us in ontime. He came very close. About 10 mins behind. I will be flying again in 2 months From Newburgh, NY to Tampa, Florida and I will have my new Garmin iQue M3 and Magellan eXplorist 600 with me. I can't wait.

Two words: Window seat.
thats where i was,,,,i had it literally against the window. And yes the gps part was turned on.
Without knowing what kind of GPSr you use, it's hard to give you advise. Figure out the best way to position your GPSr during normal use and point that towards the window. My Venture CX is best used held flat so the antenna area gets a nice view of the sky. Last week when I flew west, I used my jacket and the tray table create a little holder for the unit that let it sit a few inches away from the window with the antenna area pointing out at about 45 degrees. It obtained a lock pretty quickly and held it for the entire trip.

My old GPS 3+ and V were fine as long as I sat at the right-side window and kept the antenna in view of the window.

Once when we first got my 60cs, we were driving south to Disneyland. Hubby was driving and I was playing with my new toy. In flipping through the screens, I suddenly realized we were doing 92. I was not amused.

One time, my GPS got really really confused and told me I was doing 782mph while standing still.

Once when we first got my 60cs, we were driving south to Disneyland. Hubby was driving and I was playing with my new toy. In flipping through the screens, I suddenly realized we were doing 92. I was not amused.

One time, my GPS got really really confused and told me I was doing 782mph while standing still.

In his defense, on those freeways, traffic either goes five or 95.

In his defense, on those freeways, traffic either goes five or 95.

ROTFL....very true....he was indeed "Just keeping up with traffic".

Somewhere around 600mph on a flight from Detroit to Denver. I'd only had the GPSr for a couple months and just pulled it out of my carryon and stuck it by the window to see what it would do. Didn't even think about whether it was allowed or not! I thought it was pretty cool to watch the speed and the maps. And... nobody said anything to me about it. That was Northwest, I have no idea if they actually allow them or not.

:P

on the maglev train in shanghai we hit 270mph.....they have a public speedometer fro you to see....on the return trip i had the gps ready sure nuff 270mph.

later on the flight home on JAL from tokyo to kona we had a tail wind and the seatback monitor said 702 mph i got out the gps and sure nuff ...............

I was sking in the French Alps 2 weeks ago and recorded 69.4 mph whilst on a Blue slope. I probably would have gone faster but I lost control and crashed in a sensational way ! was unhurt and beat my sons attempt when he achieved 64mph.

My daughter said that I was probably going faster, as the GPS only records horizontal distance travelled and does not take into accountthe vertical element as well. Anyone got any thoughts on this matter? :lol::P

I had it attatched to my laptop and also saved the tracks from taxi to landing. Turned it off for about an hour or so to save memory. From Midway to Charlotte. Hit around 580 and 38000'.

It was reall cool at the motel replaying the taxi and takeoff/approach, landing and taxi!

My experience has been to be up front and honest with them. Most of them have no idea what it is, so their default position is to not allow it. Normally though, once you explain to them that its an entirely passive receiver, and doesn't emit any signals of any kind, they say sure.

later on the flight home on JAL from tokyo to kona we had a tail wind and the seatback monitor said 702 mph i got out the gps and sure nuff ...............

That's very impressive. At 20,000 feet, the speed of sound is around 707 mph. Of course it varies with temperature too, and I'm sure you had the jet stream with you.

Above 20,000 feet the speed of sound gets lower. at 35,000 feet it's considered to be 663.5 mph.

Modern commercial aviation is amazing!

There's a neat chart here: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/q0112.shtml

I think the fastest I've seen was 560 something. I don't remember the exact figure. We were at about 30,000 feet between LA and Boston.

Incidently, with my garmin 60CSX, I was able to just leave it in my shirt pocket and had no problem at all getting reception (in a window seat). Love the new chipset and the helical antenna! I had to turn of the barometric altimeter and set it on satellite altitude readings only, because of pressurized cabin.

On another note: My Garmin and my truck's speedometer never agree. The garmin reads a few percent lower, consistently. I bought the off-road package. Maybe it's a big tire thing? It's a stock option though, so I would hope that the speedometer would be accurate. Go figure...

98.7 mph in my 1994 Suburban. That's when the governor kicked in and I about ate the windshield (I was leaning forward over the wheel so I could keep my eyes on the road, and look at the GPS screen at the same time). When it happened I thought I'd blown the engine.

I hit it once more overtaking 4 cars and a semi truck on a downhill passing zone, but since I knew about the governor now, I was ready for it.

Max speed reads 138mph now. Since I know the Suburban can't reach that, and I think the Prizm can't either, that must have been a glitch.