ipaq cracked screen

After nearly a year of scrawling details on scraps of paper I went paperless and got a PDA. I had not had it long when one trip resulted in a cracked screen (and I didn't find the cache!). There's no black ink anywhere but of course its not resonding very well to the stylus. I know the moral of the story is to get a hard case for it but in the meantime I would like to repair it. It's second hand so there is no garuntee.

There are various companies online offering a repair service but there is quite a big difference in cost.

Has anyone ever used any of these?

Expansys

ipaq repair

or does anyone know anywhere you can take them in to be repaired in the North West?

Thanks

Paul

After nearly a year of scrawling details on scraps of paper I went paperless and got a PDA. I had not had it long when one trip resulted in a cracked screen (and I didn't find the cache!). There's no black ink anywhere but of course its not resonding very well to the stylus. I know the moral of the story is to get a hard case for it but in the meantime I would like to repair it. It's second hand so there is no garuntee.

There are various companies online offering a repair service but there is quite a big difference in cost.

Has anyone ever used any of these?

Expansys

ipaq repair

or does anyone know anywhere you can take them in to be repaired in the North West?

Thanks

Paul

I used ipaqrepair for a cracked screen and they were exceptional

It turned out that the LCD was damaged as well as the screen (it was a nasty "point" impact) as I discovered when it was returned (very quickly) - with a new refurbished LCD as well as the touchscreen and a note saying there was no extra charge. I'd also ordered a replacement stylus clip to fit myself and they'd bunged that in while they had the case open, again at no extra charge

Highly recommended :blink::blink:

I used ipaq repair last year and wasn't impressed.

My PDA came back with a new screen (that was the orginal fault) but with a new fault on it which they said required a re-install of the operating system which they wanted to charge for, after pointing out what was said in emails they eventually did the re-install for free, the unit worked for a week than stopped charging. At that point I just gave up.

Doubt I'd even consider them in the future.

Oh and their turnaround was about two weeks more than they told me.

Just remembered, they managed to lose it for about three weeks despite recorded delivery!

Bob S

Edited by Bob Smith

I have used iPAQ Repair Services twice now and on both occasions I received excellent service and couldn't fault the repair. The first occasion was an new screen, stylus clip and battery and the 2nd time it was for a new switch board. On both occasions the repair was good and the iPAQ was returned within a week.

I used to work in a computer repair shop and this company was one of the places we used to suggest to customers for repairs. I can't say how good their service is as we didn't deal with them direct, however to their credit we never had any bad feedback from our own customers.

As the site suggests though, the HP/Compaq repair prices will indeed be quite a bit more than a company such as this.

I use a Dell Axim PDA which cost over £200 a couple of years back. It's fine for geocaching now as you can buy second hand ones on ebay for well under £50!

Almost on topic - so apologies in advance.

My first ipaq was a 2210, and I took out Dixons cover on it.

When it fell out of my pocket and a bus drove over it after I'd had it for 18 months I sent it in for appraisal - they said the damage wasn't consistent with what they'd expect to see after an ipaq had been run over by a bus (the ipaq was banana shape, and to say the screen was cracked would be a slight understatement), that it must have been "owner inflicted" damage, not accidental, and that they wouldn't be honouring the claim.

I sent back a letter asking for photo's of other ipaqs that had also been run over by buses to back up their assesment, and 2 days later I got a Dixons / pc world voucher for a replacement. This was for the equivalent item though, not the original purchase cost, and I ended up with an hx2490b, WM5, AND a 2GB sd card.

Edited by keehotee

When my Ipaq screen broke, I called HP but they would not even consider a claim on the 3 year extended warranty because it was 'accident' damamge. They told me to use Ipaq Repair.

Firstly I found that there are two 'Ipqa repair' companies. One is in the USA and the one I used which was located in the UK. I think they are separate buisnesses. I got the impression that the UK company was a guy in his bedroom, because the delivery address is (or at least was at that time) just a house address, not business unit.

The repair took quite a long time - I got the impression that he was away on his holidays or something, but it was sucessful and worked fine ever since.

One suggestion made to me, was that I could claim for the repair on my household insurance - but I didn't try.