An East Coast Mega Coin Event

altosaxplayer

Here is a question posed to EVERYONE. You do not have to have been to the Temecula Valley Coin Event or live on the east coast to give your input.

To be clear, THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT IS FOR SURE HAPPENING

What do you think about having a East Coast version of the mega coin event that was held in Temecula Valley a couple weeks ago? The event would be scheduled for the fall, around 6-8 months after the other one. What is everyones thoughts about it and what is the interest in coming.

Thanks for the input.

If you're not looking for much support from the vendors, I'd say go for it.

The GeocoinFest committee already informally spoke to several of the recent sponsors of the event in Temecula. Most indicated that 6-8 months was too soon for them to support something like that again. That's why GeocoinFest won't happen until 2008 :blink:

I did attend Geocoinfest and had a great time, I'd be in for attending an East coast event in the fall. Most of my coins qcquired from Geocoinfest came from trading and purchasing from other cachers as the selections of geocoins from most of the vendors fell short of what the companies have for sale on their individual websites.

How would it be if it was held almost in the middle of the east coast? The vendor things would not be a problem I dont think. I know another thing that everyone likes is a place with a ton of caches. What if I told you where we were planning to have it there are 1000+ caches within 50 miles or so? Anyway, keep the ideas and comments coming.

The vendor things would not be a problem I dont think.

I should clarify from my above post. By support, I was referring to the financial kind. We needed their sponsorship to pay for things. We were told geoevents had to be free to attend and we couldn't charge an "admission fee." If you've got the costs part figured out, like I said, go for it. People will come. Just not sure how or that you can promise MEGA status.

I think Alto's trying to say that he wants to have a Mega Coin event on the east coast. I don't think he intends to charge an admission fee. The cacher in question has hosted or co-hosted several events in his area, so he knows what to do.

I'd support an event of this type on the East Coast even though I'm not actively purchasing coins - I'd still like to see what others have in their collections etc.

Good luck with this Alto... :blink:

How would it be if it was held almost in the middle of the east coast? The vendor things would not be a problem I dont think. I know another thing that everyone likes is a place with a ton of caches. What if I told you where we were planning to have it there are 1000+ caches within 50 miles or so? Anyway, keep the ideas and comments coming.

Like Norfolk or Virginia Beach ?

any beach would be good!! :blink:

Jayman11

I'd be interested to see what location you choose. Your profile puts you away from any coastline, so an actual MEGA rated event when not local would be quite a task. It's always fun to find new coin things to do.

He's about as far from the coast of VA as one can get without leaving the state! :blink: Check the number of caches nearest him though! :blink:

:blink: Alto :lol:

Edited by The Blind Acorn

I'd love to attend an East Cost coin event (or anyone that is within 8 or so driving hours from home). For me, it's more about meeting the people I've been trading with over the past 1 1/2 years, meeting new coin addicts, an opportunity to make some face to face trades, make some face to face coin purchases, seeing some rare coins that I would otherwise not have the opportunity to do so, and about doing some caching (geocoin related caching would be even better).

I've not been to geowoodstock yet but hope to do so this year. How much of the event is geared towards geocoins? Do they have any geocoin specific activities held during that time (other than selling the geowoodstock geocoin) like a meet and greet night for us addicts or a geocoin trading tent?

....Anthus

Sounds great.

Not sure about the fascination with making such events MEGA, but if it's motivation to get them planned, fair enough. We've had one or two local coin listed events, where coin trading / discussion was the main focus, both pretty well attended.

...I wonder whether GS could consider a "coin event" icon / event type..it would surely be in their interest to promote collection and trading of more and more geocoins.

Regarding Anthus's question.... Something I've thought about as well, but I have seen nothing about a GW5 Geocoin event on the local boards. On the event page agenda there is a 7pm Geocoin trading listed. Some of the organisers I know are pretty into the collecting side, but not rabid enough to consider running a satellite coin event and / or are busy with other GW5-specific tasks. I'm not into coins enough to consider running such an event, but I would see no harm in you floating it by on the GW5 forums.

Edited by Maingray

The vendor things would not be a problem I dont think.

I should clarify from my above post. By support, I was referring to the financial kind. We needed their sponsorship to pay for things. We were told geoevents had to be free to attend and we couldn't charge an "admission fee." If you've got the costs part figured out, like I said, go for it. People will come. Just not sure how or that you can promise MEGA status.

Seems some people didn't read the first post to this thread very clearly.

----insert first post here!-----

Here is a question posed to EVERYONE. You do not have to have been to the Temecula Valley Coin Event or live on the east coast to give your input.

To be clear, THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT IS FOR SURE HAPPENING

What do you think about having a East Coast version of the mega coin event that was held in Temecula Valley a couple weeks ago? The event would be scheduled for the fall, around 6-8 months after the other one. What is everyones thoughts about it and what is the interest in coming.

Thanks for the input.

----end first post here!-----

It was a posed question.

I see no promise of a mega event and would imagine that for a first event, that would all depend on the attendance and could become an event if the numbers warrant it.

It seems to only be a post to see if sufficient interest is present to consider hosting an event on the other side of the U.S. this year.

If one group feels they have all the vendors in their 'back pocket' so to speak, there is no need to flaunt that--just let this interested individual see what they can do. It appears to be only a discussion. If somebody wants to have a coin event, do the work, make the plans, then it would be up to that particular group to decide if it can be pulled off--money or vendor support is not for others to be concerned with unless they are part of the planning group--don't cha think?

I say roll on...give it a try...plan it and I'll attend.

Peace.

If one group feels they have all the vendors in their 'back pocket' so to speak, there is no need to flaunt that--just let this interested individual see what they can do. It appears to be only a discussion. If somebody wants to have a coin event, do the work, make the plans, then it would be up to that particular group to decide if it can be pulled off--money or vendor support is not for others to be concerned with unless they are part of the planning group--don't cha think?

Generalizations such as this are unfounded and unwarranted. No one flaunted anything and no one posted anything remotely like your false accusation implies.

Several of the recent event sponsors were asked about Fall 2007 and those asked said it was too soon for them to contribute again. That is SHARING INFORMATION and nothing more, tyvm.

Peace.

Ain't that a contradiction. :D

I think any time anyone wants to have a good ole time is great!!! I hold events all the time, small ones granted, but hey they are fun and that's what it's all about. Your planning to have a geocoin event, so I'm guessing you'd hold it whether 10 people or 100 people or 500 people show up, it will just be a matter of what else happens wil be determined by the amount of people registered to come! I'd love to help, from afar in any way I can!

That area would be stupendous. They have a very strong cacher base and there would be plenty of places to hold it. PLUS the caches are some of our favorites and favorites of everyone that lives there and visits.

I say roll on...give it a try...plan it and I'll attend.

Peace.

Are you kidding me? Don't cha think it would be important to LISTEN to others who have been through putting on a geocoin event? Posts were made to help understand that sponsorship may not be available due to the great efforts recently made. No one said they had vendors in their back pocket so perhaps you could limit your false accusations and stick to the facts. AG who was a member of the original group that planned the event was trying to help provide important information.

To the OP,

I would suggest contacting the vendors yourself. Not all of the vendors were at the event, so some of the others might be willing to help. Also, some of the vendors that were there might be willing to help as well, just not to the extent they did for the Temecula event.

A lot of the vendor support came in the way of MULTIPLE coins for various things (quests, poker, etc), IMO, really not necessary to have a good/successful event. Sure it was nice, but it can be done without the multitude of event coins. There are lots of ways to keep cost down so you won't need the financial backing of the vendors as well.

I know that some of the vendors help out with several events throughout the year, so it's worth talking to them yourself before writing them off. Get it straight from the, well you get it....

I think you should hold it, have fun and don't worry about it being mega/ how many sponsors/ etc.... Keep it simple and people will come, trade, chat and have a good time. If you want an East Coast event, then make it happen!

I think you should hold it, have fun and don't worry about it being mega/ how many sponsors/ etc.... Keep it simple and people will come, trade, chat and have a good time. If you want an East Coast event, then make it happen!

I agree whole heartedly. If you think you can accommodate that many people, and are willing to set it up, people will definitely come. I might even be tempted to leave the home state and stop by for some fun.

--Marky

I'm glad you asked for the input... It was exciting to hear "East Coast"...

I had really wanted to attend the Geocoin Fest in CA a few weeks ago, and was disappointed

that life & work got in the way. (Mostly work...)

I wish that You, or if not you, then... another Forum Member decided to definately organize such an event.

This year would be great! Obviously, people are interested. If I even hear the word, "Geocoin"

my eyes light up. :P

So they say, if you build it, they will come. Here are some questions from someone who was not at the Geocoinfest.

What would you want out of a Geocoin event?

Would you want a planned itinerary of events or a loosely planned event with multiple options?

Would you want non geocaching things to do?

Would you want to stay in a normal hotel in your own rooms OR camp OR rent a large house (several possibly)?

Would you have to receive a goody bag in order to want to come?

Would you have to receive any type of freebie in order to come?

Would you want a 1 day event or a weekend event?

Anything else you'd like to add?

This is NOT me saying I am going to hold event, but if I want to think about it, or if anyone wants to think about it, this could help them.