Garmin GPSmap 60CSx

Nick6

Hi

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60 CSx and use it for 4x4 driving / walking.

I have started to see the following message being displayed when I transfer collected track data from my PC (using MapSource) to the GPS Unit:

"Track Truncated"

This message is displayed in a white box that remains on the screen for a while. The net result is that not all my track data is transferred. This happens when I transfer either:

track data from a single trip that has not been modified

track data where I have combined tracks from different trips

I have checked the help section and searched on this forum.....any advice out there :anibad:

Regards

Nick

Tracks saved in the unit or returned to the unit have a maximum of 500 points in general[it is possible to transfer a larger active track]!

Tracks saved on the SD card and transferred to the PC can be far larger - 10,000?!!![i think]?

Edited by strumble

Tracks saved in the unit or returned to the unit have a maximum of 500 points!

Tracks saved on the SD card and transferred to the PC can be far larger - 10,000?!!![i think]?

Hi Strumble

Thanks for your reply. :blink:

My GPS Unit has a track memory set to save up to 3000 points (have yet to try saving data direct to the SD card memory), so it has no problem saving track logs in excess of 500 points - this I have done many times thus far.

However, I think you have made an interesting observation which has a slight twist - let me elaborate.......

1. The track I saved from the GPS Unit that I transferred to my PC has 1569 points - no problems there and I can view the entire track in MapSource from the days activity perfectly

2. If I then clear the GPS Unit of all tracks and then re-transfer it back to the GPS unit using MapSource thats when I get the Track Truncated message

3. What I end up with is "Track Truncated" and only 500 points are transferred (I checked this by transferring this Truncated Track back to MapSource - sure enough - just 500 points transferred.

So - this is puzzling - why is the GPS Unit allowing me to collect and transfer to my PC in excess of 500 track points BUT when I transfer the same track from the PC to the GPS I can only send 500 points? Is this parameter fixed in the firmware / software or can this be changed?

It seems odd that even though you can collect more than 500 track points - you cant send more than 500 to the unit.....a bug maybe??? :blink:

Any additional comments / thoughts most welcome......

Thanks

Nick

The Active Track can have up to 10,000 points as well as on the PC. When you transfer the track back to the internal memory, name the track "Active Track or Log - I forget which one it is and that should let you upload up to 10,000 points. You might also need to change that 3,000 to 10,000 as well.

The 60CSX writes the track to internal memory[but it may wrap when full].

It can save the track in the unit but it truncates it [500point]

Before saving it in the unit send it as a whole track to the PC.

You can return a track from PC to the unit.

Saving a track to SD card is so easy and permanent.

Provided you leave space on the card you can save tracks automatically, indefinitely.

They are all transferrable to PC.

Remember, Mapsource can return a track to the unit as a 'Route'!

Edited by strumble

The Active Track can have up to 10,000 points as well as on the PC. When you transfer the track back to the internal memory, name the track "Active Track or Log - I forget which one it is and that should let you upload up to 10,000 points. You might also need to change that 3,000 to 10,000 as well.

Could you give me guidance on this please!

Edited by strumble

......Remember, Mapsource can return a track to the unit as a 'Route'!

Strumble

Thanks for the detailed feeback :blink:

........can you outline how I can return a track to the unit as a route - this sounds like a great idea and probably a lot more useful for the kind of thing I want to do.

I welcome your guidence on how to do this - thanks in advance.

Regards

Nick

You need to call it "ACTIVE LOG", NOT "ACTIVE TRACK".

But first you need to make sure there is adequate active track space. You may need to clear the active track log first.

Well, that did work!

Thank you.

You can return any one track at a time, from the PC [saved previously on the unit or saved on the SD card]

I just took ACTIVE LOG142832 from my SD card and transferred it to the PC, and then transferred it into the unit.

It had 1146 points and took up 11% of the track memory. If you re-save it on the unit it becomes 500 points!

So all in all, I found it of limited value, as you could only transfer one track from the PC!

You can return any one track at a time, from the PC [saved previously on the unit or saved on the SD card] I just took ACTIVE LOG142832 from my SD card and transferred it to the PC, and then transferred it into the unit. It had 1146 points and took up 11% of the track memory. If you re-save it on the unit it becomes 500 points!

Strumble

I did the same - its certainly one way to get the data back to your GPS Unit. I would still like to understand the process you outline above where you can send a track to the unit as a route......I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Nick

I would still like to understand the process you outline above where you can send a track to the unit as a route......I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Nick

Are you creating the tracks as a motorist or a walker, on a road or off-road?

There could be a big difference!

I am a motorist with caravan.

After the day's trip I manipulate the track, removing the mistakes I made, removing the 'stops' as to create a 'perfect' track!!!

To keep this for future reference I resave it with a new name before creating a route from it!

Is this the type of track/route you are interested in?

I would still like to understand the process you outline above where you can send a track to the unit as a route......I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Nick

Are you creating the tracks as a motorist or a walker, on a road or off-road?

There could be a big difference!

I am a motorist with caravan.

After the day's trip I manipulate the track, removing the mistakes I made, removing the 'stops' as to create a 'perfect' track!!!

To keep this for future reference I resave it with a new name before creating a route from it!

Is this the type of track/route you are interested in?

Strumble - this is exactly what I would like to do (we are 4x4 driving).....its the "creating a route" from the saved track data that I am interested in. I tried this earlier today using MapSource....but could not figure out how to do it.

Regards

Nick

this is exactly what I would like to do (we are 4x4 driving).....its the "creating a route" from the saved track data that I am interested in. I tried this earlier today using MapSource....but could not figure out how to do it.

Nick

You haven't said whether it is on road or off road!

this is exactly what I would like to do (we are 4x4 driving).....its the "creating a route" from the saved track data that I am interested in. I tried this earlier today using MapSource....but could not figure out how to do it.

Nick

You haven't said whether it is on road or off road!

Its off road

Nick

Have never tried to do an off-road track to route before, but have just been working on a Pembrokeshire Coast Footpath track to convert to a route with approx 70 points. Obviously I cannot drive along it tonight!! It has transferred to the unit and is giving me directions!

The options within the unit will have to reflect the off-road status!

Using Mapsource with the track visible I just use the 'Route tool' and join up the track points!! On roads I select 1 in 50 of the points, especially those at junctions or roundabouts! The software draws the route from point to point as I go! If it goes off course I go back one point and select an intermediate point. A whole day's trip is recorded together with the daily new waypoints in minutes. I just re-tried the track through the FernPass between Austria and Germany and produced the route in three minutes, saved it on the PC for transfer to the unit at any time in the future!

For off-road I would initially start with selecting 1 in 3 track points and see how you go.

I would be interested in a copy of one of you actual tracks to convert and view in Garmin Topo!

If you are tracking with your handheld you can have it save to the data card. This is fine. If you have found a track online, or wherever, and you want to send it to your Garmin and it is over 500 points or, you have a bunch of tracks that exceeds your handhelds allowable track quantity you run into the truncated track issue, exceeding your handheld's internal memory, etc. I have an older Rino and I can only send tracks to the internal memory; I haven't found a way to save them on to a data card and have them display.

If a track is more than 500 points you can open the track to see all the points, go to the 500th point, right click on it and then click 'divide'. A new track is created with those 500 points. Continue doing this if the remainder of the original track is still over 500 points. Then you can send all these segments to your handheld.

But, here's the real issue. Garmin handhelds are so far behind current technology it can't be due to incompetence. The most basic smartphone can give you better display, speed, memory and file options than the most expensive handheld. There are not enough users that expect more from their handhelds so Garmin has no reason to improve them. I have very limited programming knowledge but I would like to see a project started to create an smartphone/tablet APP that can do everything and much more than a Garmin handheld save for the satellite antenna. Then Garmin would be forced to upgrade their handhelds to current technological specs. Working with those handhelds is like going back in time 15 years.