What IF you held an EVENT.....

I log my own hosted events as attended and I've seen my share of of small events. I'm actually starting to prefer them.

At my first hosted event, in 2003, 3 teams were represented for a total of 4 people and 2 of the teams represented were me and my sister. The other team (Jessie Girl) never logged the event online, but it was still quite a fun event. It stands out in my event experiences and I've been to LOTS of events...

I keep asking myself, what if NO ONE showed up to one of my events? Would I log it attended?

If the host team is the only team represented is it really a valid event?

If you log your own hosted events would you log your event if no one showed up?

I log my own hosted events as attended and I've seen my share of of small events. I'm actually starting to prefer them.

snip, snip

MAN! Don't even ask questions like that! :anibad: With our areas first event coming up, I hadn't been concerned that NOBODY would show up, but I had been exploring the idea of logging my own event . . . :anibad:

(GC11060) SEMOG Meet and Greet by JohnTee

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...00365&log=y

Ya'all come on by . . .

JohnTee

I keep asking myself, what if NO ONE showed up to one of my events? Would I log it attended?
I think logging your own event would be the least of your worries. A better question would probably be "Why am I such a leper?"

I don't qualify as I can't get past the first part of your query. I don't log our events as attended.

To tell you the truth, I was concerned about folks showing up at our meetings. I mean it is on a weekday. I think the lowest attendance was five or six folks. A lot of the time it upwards of twenty. I figure that's not too shabby for a weekday chat-n-chew.

I think logging your own event would be the least of your worries. A better question would probably be "Why am I such a leper?"

I don't qualify as I can't get past the first part of your query. I don't log our events as attended.

To tell you the truth, I was concerned about folks showing up at our meetings. I mean it is on a weekday. I think the lowest attendance was five or six folks. A lot of the time it upwards of twenty. I figure that's not too shabby for a weekday chat-n-chew.

I agree with SuzyQ's...post it and they will come. My husband and I log our own finds (instead of as a team...I started caching before he did) and we take turns "hosting" events. If he "hosts" the event online then I log it and then I post the next event.

I had an Event back in 02, only one cacher showed up so the Guiness was just shared by less of us. Now in '07 after hosting several events I get requests to host another one, so May is around the corner.

WOW! Has it been that long?

As well as vast supplies of delicious Guinness we had plenty of Bangers and Mash!

That was a good event!! In the shelter with the fire blazing and the rain/snow falling outside.

695230_200.jpg

SLURP (hic)

Let me assure one and all that if you host it, AND PUBLICIZE IT, they will come. My local group just hosted our first event, and on a day that started out with a half inch of ice covering everything (rained and froze the night before) we had over 70 people there. Some of the caches we'd hidden for the event were frozen shut, or frozen in place. At least until the first cachers chipped them loose!

But I know what you're asking, Snoogans. Personally, I think it depends on your personal ethics. If I actually planned and worked on an event and nobody came, yes, I'd log it. To make up a bogus event just to inflate your numbers - hey, knock yourself out! It doesn't diminish my enjoyment of caching any.

Yes. Groundspeak has created a new nano-event cache type, for events with a total participation of 1 person. You have to be able to prove that you spent at least three hours sitting there alone, crying into your beer, gazing mournfully at the door in the vain hope that someone else would walk through it. But if you can prove that you did this, your event will be awared the coveted nano-event icon.

a373fdc7-aa1b-4e94-8763-f2adae5db604.jpg

dave

It wasn't a formal gc.com event, but I have posted in the MiGO forums occasionally to see if anyone wanted to go x-country skiing and caching. Last year, no one else showed up -- I think there was a pretty major event going on the same day. I skiied and cached as planned. I had more luck this year -- one person. Clatmandu and I had a good time skiing, chatting, and caching in sub-zero wind chill.

As an aside, ski-ocaching is great. The miles just melt away compared to hiking.

Not a problem around these parts. The smaller weeknight events get 30+, the weekend events have up to 100 show up. We had almost 300 attend the NCGO's Fall Fling and First Birthday Party. :anibad:

We get the same stats in Texas.

I host a semi-regular Monday night event and I've never gotten less than 35+ attendees. It just tickles me that many people will show on a weeknight. :anibad:

:blink::anibad::wacko::blink: Exxxxxaaaaaaactly. :blink::anibad:

Edited by Snoogans

:blink::cry::cry::blink: Exxxxxaaaaaaactly. :cry::blink:

I may have an explanation for anyone that has an event and no one shows.

There is that one person at every event. You know who I'm talking about, the weird one that acts funny and annoys you. Well if you don't know what I'm talking about and haven't seen them at any events, IT'S YOU! :cry::lol::cry::lol:

Edited by Airmapper

:blink::cry::cry::blink: Exxxxxaaaaaaactly. :cry::lol:

There is that one person at every event. You know who I'm talking about, the weird one that acts funny and annoys you. Well if you don't know what I'm talking about and haven't seen them at any events, IT'S YOU! :cry::cry::cry::lol:

:cry::blink:

:blink::cry::cry::lol: Exxxxxaaaaaaactly. :cry::lol:

There is that one person at every event. You know who I'm talking about, the weird one that acts funny and annoys you. Well if you don't know what I'm talking about and haven't seen them at any events, IT'S YOU! :(:cry::P:cry:

:cry::blink:

I was just explaining my "Rounders" version of the geocaching "weirdo factor" for events at the event I hosted last Monday. It goes like this:

If you can spend an hour or two at ANY geocaching event and you can't spot a weirdo, then it's probably you. :blink:

There really is a low instance of weirdo factor at the events I've attended....But then, I may in fact BE the weirdo at the events I've attended. :cry:

Oh well, I'm outta here for a few days. Have fun with it.

Edited by Snoogans

I have been trying to do this for a whle but it has not worked. I hosted an event way out in the country that started at midnight and had 20+ people show up. Undaunted, I tried one that startd at 6PM six miles down a 3.5 terrain trail, and still had 10+ show up and camp. I am still trying to come up with an event so silly that no one will come.

Almost had that happen.

Held an event for our local group once to hand out the White Jeep Travel Bugs. Was suppose to start at 11am in a park. By 11:40 I was still sitting alone. Just about packed it in when a group of cachers from out-of area showed up, quickly followed by a geo-trucker just passing through town. We got 3 logs on that event.

Splain to this side of the pond what 'Bangers and Mash' is!? I suspect I'd eat it . . . I'll try most anything. :D

JohnTee

Bangers equals Sausages

Mash is, how they sez it down south, "taters"!

A good combination, I like to have sausages that are a bit on the smokey side, plus adding lots of cooked shredded onion.

Cumberland sausage is 'bout as good as it gets but last time I had that was in Oxford. NO! I didn't attend Oxford, I just visited the city. :D

Splain to this side of the pond what 'Bangers and Mash' is!? I suspect I'd eat it . . . I'll try most anything. :P

JohnTee

Bangers equals Sausages

A good combination, I like to have sausages that are a bit on the smokey side, plus adding lots of cooked shredded onion.

Cumberland sausage is 'bout as good as it gets but last time I had that was in Oxford. NO! I didn't attend Oxford, I just visited the city. :lol:

Now you're making me hungry! Sounds good!

JohnTee

I have been trying to do this for a whle but it has not worked. I hosted an event way out in the country that started at midnight and had 20+ people show up. Undaunted, I tried one that startd at 6PM six miles down a 3.5 terrain trail, and still had 10+ show up and camp. I am still trying to come up with an event so silly that no one will come.

OMG! I never even thought of taking THAT approach. I just may try it. :P

Splain to this side of the pond what 'Bangers and Mash' is!? I suspect I'd eat it . . . I'll try most anything. :P

JohnTee

Bangers and Mash is Zoltig's vernacular rendition of a Irish Dish known as Dublin Coddle so try it when St. Paddy's day rolls around next week.

Hmmm, I suspect I'll be able to find Dublin Coddle sooner than I can find Bangers and Mash! :anibad:

JohnTee

P.S. Recipe noted for possible future use! ;)

I attended a CITO at which I was the only shower upper besides the owner. It was also being attended by another group intent on cleaning the beach, though, so it didn't feel all that awkward.

Ah, there was a CITO event locally, that I was considering attending. (Hey. I need the icon!) Some people think the event owner (?) to be, perhaps, a bit strange. The cache in the area was muggled quickly, being close to houses, and frequently visited by muggles. The only one to attend the CITO event was the event owner. So. It does happen.

We have a very active statewide forum (dixiecachers.com) and a cacher had become fairly well-known and liked on the forum.

He lived in a remote part of the state and hid a number of really good hides to jump-start and promote geocaching in that area.

He attended some of our events, where anywher from 40 to 100 folks usually show up, and decided to host one in his area.

4 people, beside his sons, showed up.

It wasn't that no one liked him, we all did. We all appreciated the work he was putting into hiding good caches and hosting the event.

It was simply that he was so far out and there were other events closer that day, so many opted not to go.

Those of us who went had a ball, I enjoyed it immensely, but I think the low turnout dissappointed him greatly and he never tried to host another.

I'd eat all the food, have some beer, call someone up and put a guilt play on them and we would go caching and have a good time.

One of my best new years partys was when a couple couldn't pull their party together so I invited them over, another friend, my wife got off work at midnight and it all just worked. Some legends were born that night.

Oh, and I'd not log the event.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I was thinking of having one on a island in the middle of a reservoir. It would be a 2 mile paddle to the island, or a 3 mile hike, then a swim of a hundred yards. Can't imagine a lot of people making that one, but who knows.

I have kayaks and I love to swim. If it was within my event radius, I'd BE there. That sounds like a fun one! :huh:

I've got a good question for you.

What happens when someone has an event and YOU don't show up???

Doc, you know first hand on more than one occasion that it's not really an event until I show up. :(:(

Seriously though, if I couldn't make it to my own event then I couldn't rightly log it as attended. The only situation I can think of where this could happen would be on one of my Monday night events that involves minimal set-up.... Otherwise, I'd hafta cancel the entire event.

Seriously though, if I couldn't make it to my own event then I couldn't rightly log it as attended. The only situation I can think of where this could happen would be on one of my Monday night events that involves minimal set-up.... Otherwise, I'd hafta cancel the entire event.

OBJets hosted the event because the only Icon I am missing is attending a CITO.

Anyway my car broke down on the way so I missed the event.

They changed the name of the event from Come Clean with Dean to Come Clean WITHOUT Dean!

And I had to log a DNF for the event!! :rolleyes:

Splain to this side of the pond what 'Bangers and Mash' is!? I suspect I'd eat it . . . I'll try most anything. :anitongue:

JohnTee

Bangers equals Sausages

Cumberland sausage is 'bout as good as it gets but last time I had that was in Oxford. NO! I didn't attend Oxford, I just visited the city. :P

Well, old, slightly off-topic reply, that may not get read by the orininal posters . . . but I had to come back and mention that I had Bangers and Mash recently and LOVED it! We went on a driving vacation to Mount Rushmore and I found the Firehouse Brewing Co. in Rapid City, SD. One of their menu items was BANGOR LADDER . . .

Traditional Scottish banger sausages, simmered in our Exta Pale Ale, and served on top of our roasted garlic and cheese mashers. Complete with sour-kraut & sauteed onions and served with beer mustard.

A nice bug mug of a their Firehouse Red, and it was a meal complete!

Truth is, I've waited 4 years to host one, because we're a small area. Now I've made the effort to publicize this one, and it's up to about 24 (minus those who have to change schedule). I am very pleased, because I hoped only for 6.

GC13F10

as to the question:

I think I'd be bummed, and wouldn't log it, but who can say without going through it? :anitongue:

Edited by Robespierre
Truth is, I've waited 4 years to host one, because we're a small area. Now I've made the effort to publicize this one, and it's up to about 24 (minus those who have to change schedule). I am very pleased, because I hoped only for 6.

GC13F10

as to the question:

I think I'd be bummed, and wouldn't log it, but who can say without going through it? :o

Some of my favorite events had less than 10 people. :(

I'm starting to miss the cozy events where you could really get to know and make friends with EVERYONE there.

I'm reading the names of the folks who attended GeoWoodstock 5 and I can't picture a face with most of 'em without looking it the pictures.

I see a name of someone I recognize from the forums and I think, "DANG, I would really have liked to meet them." and there's a picture posted where I am in the background just yards away.

I completely missed a couple people from my local group at GW5. I was surprised to see their names on the list of attended logs.

Our local group hosts impromptu events that wouldn't meet listing guidelines and they tend to be smaller.

Our usual official event size is 50+ in my area now. I think that's awesome, but I find myself going home from an event having spent very little time with the folks I'm closest to in my local community.

I recently posted an impromptu consolation event in place of my regular Monday night event expecting mayyybe 6 people to show up. We had nearly 20 show up.

I guess my point is, just keep posting events. Show folks it's not super hard work and you'll have more events to attend when they start posting their own.