New Guidelines - Caches that Solicit

Algonquin Bound

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Stating the obvious, does this apply to Travel Bugs, too? I'm wondering, of course, about the Diabetes and Jeep Travel bugs? Can any cacher do this, or is it just that GC.COM that gets a pass on this rule? I am not opposed to them doing so, at least on the Jeep item, in spite of the contest part of it being limited to the U.S. I was concerned, however, regarding the diabetes item, as it does seem to indicate a bias of sorts. to a particular "political, charitable or social agenda". Are there plans for like promotions for other causes?

Lots of questions, I know... but I certainly am curious.

The listing guidelines apply to cache listings. Travel bugs are not cache listings.

Yep. Though the project APE caches would be illegal under the new guidelines then...

No they would not, because any cache that has the permission of Groundspeak would be allowed. The Ape caches had Groundspeak permission. There was very little that actually changed in that guideline this time. The biggest things were the separation of the caches that solicit section and a better explanation for commercial caches in buildings. Other than that they are basically the same as the last revision in 2004. Perhaps people are just actually reading it this time. :blink: