Geocaching as a first date?

I think the PodCachers' first date was a geocache hunt.

But in general, it's pretty nerdy but with a fun girl it could be fun. You can do a real one or make one up for her. Make sure it's not a DNF - that would be anti-climactic.

Edited by chimbisimo

Depends on what the person is into...do they like being in the great outdoors?...do they like hunting, fishing, tracking and using multi-billion-dollar equipment?...if they enjoy that, then they may like it.

Besides, the romantic person would take her to a spot with a very beautiful view...that would score points.

BUT...

On the other hand, if they are a kind of prissy, gotta-look-perfect in all ways at all times, then that may not be the best choice. They're sure to not appreciate the possiblity of mud, briars, etc.

If they are like that, then, dump 'em anyway...a girl that doesn't like geocaching...well...disappoints me. LOL :ph34r:

If you go with the caching idea, you might wanna pair that up with something else, though.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I would like to propose (pardon the expression) that dating as it is done by teenagers today is really a bad thing. (I did not make this idea up, there is a growing trend in some circles to "reform" the practice if not eliminate it entirely.)

So therefore, I would say that taking one's prospective partner along to enjoy what you enjoy is a great idea. This is a much better way to build a solid relationship than the traditional "dating" thing.

Go out and have fun together and get to know each other. Do the things you like to do and the things the prospective likes to do. See how well you will get along as a couple.

That is SO much more productive than the common practice of dinner, movie, make-out, break-up, "OMG I hope it's not mine", it is, ARRGH!.

The traditional dating of today teaches the participants how to bounce from relationship to relationship, not to get to know each other for the purposes of a lifetime partnership.

So go for it and if the other doesn't like it and you DO, you know you have a possible "deal breaker" in the relationship. How much of a deal breaker it is is your judgment call. Too many deal breakers and the relationship will not be good.

My Wifemate (of 24 years now) proved herself when she handed me a snake she picked up off a park trail. Our "dates" tended to be hiking and rappelling and water-rescue details. There were dinner and movies too, but the REAL dates were in the great outdoors.

Oh, and don't be in no hurry. Take your time and find the right one.

Is there anyone out there that thinks a cache hunt would make a good first date? Just curious...

Depends on your date. Half might think it's the coolest thing ever and the other half will run away, fast.

Actually that makes it a very good date. If your date is in that second group, you wouldn't want to go out with that person long term anyway. If your date is in the first group, start scoping out rings, because she's a keeper.

Is there anyone out there that thinks a cache hunt would make a good first date? Just curious...

Depends on your date. Half might think it's the coolest thing ever and the other half will run away, fast.

BrianSnat is right again, but I'm sick of saying that. :ph34r: I know a female cacher, who as best I know has never set foot in these forums, who took at least 2 (maybe 3) match.com type dates out geocaching. Her current long-term male companion is as addicted as anyone. I never did find out what happened to those other guys though. :ph34r: It all depends on the person, but I think it's a great first date assuming we're not talking about a mile hike in the woods with nasty bushwacking. Or at the other extreme, a lampskirt in the Wally World parking lot. Something in between, a nice paved walking trail, with the cache right off the trail.

it is all in the timing and planning man. Don't just take her to the "next nearest" on a list of 500 caches you downloaded last June.

Instead, have a few caches that you have checked out in the last day or so, and maybe a few that you set up just for her. Use the last few (the ones you set up) to start making her feel special.

Have something for her in the chache, something that she would like. maybe the last one has a key to a locker in the local train station - and in there is a dozen red roses (real ones), and the cooridinates to another cahce. by now i have supposed that you have not been a GPS hog and have let her use the machine, and that she can by now put in the coordinates and navigate you to the last cache. Her she finds tickets to the Harry Connick Jr concert that night, and a couple coupons for her choice of a second date.

of course this had better be a MAJOR hot babe AND someone that you actually want to have a relationship with, before you spend all this time on it. Hopefully when it is all over she feels the same way.

(Assuming I was single)

If it was our first date and she said 'I know, let's go caching', I would agree to go. :ph34r:

If it was a blind date and she said that, then I would be impressed.

Ummm I am a VERY girly girl, I don't fish, repel, hunt or shoot guns and snakes scare the wits out of me, but Caching I LOVE. so not all cachers are complete outdoors types. I love spending the day looking for "treasure"! Ya' don't have to love guns to do that.

The best you can hope for is to marry your best friend and I for one, would not want a best friend that did not share my obsession. So take her caching, if she loves it, she has passed a huge relationship test, if not, do you really want to be stuck with someone like that anyway? Quick way to cull out the losers in MHO. :ph34r:

So many caches.....so little time.

Hey...call me crazy, but....you could ASK HER if she might enjoy an activity like this. I know ...I know. I'm a caveman. But not all dates are for the expressed purpose of finding that special someone to spend your entire life with. She may well be a valued "dinner and a movie" date girl. Or you could schedule her as your " club and dancing" date, or even your "gone fishing" girl. They are all different, and still, all wonderful. Don't toss her away just because she's not an outdoorsman. And if she does turn out to be that special ONE, is geocaching really a prerequisite? My wife and I each have many interests that don't involve the other. You might find after years of marriage that you are grateful your significant other doesn't share your zeal for caching. In any case, take her out, be yourself, and have a good time. Dating is adventure enough without complicating things. X

china.gif

I would like to propose (pardon the expression) that dating as it is done by teenagers today is really a bad thing. (I did not make this idea up, there is a growing trend in some circles to "reform" the practice if not eliminate it entirely.)

So therefore, I would say that taking one's prospective partner along to enjoy what you enjoy is a great idea. This is a much better way to build a solid relationship than the traditional "dating" thing.

Go out and have fun together and get to know each other. Do the things you like to do and the things the prospective likes to do. See how well you will get along as a couple.

That is SO much more productive than the common practice of dinner, movie, make-out, break-up, "OMG I hope it's not mine", it is, ARRGH!.

The traditional dating of today teaches the participants how to bounce from relationship to relationship, not to get to know each other for the purposes of a lifetime partnership.

So go for it and if the other doesn't like it and you DO, you know you have a possible "deal breaker" in the relationship. How much of a deal breaker it is is your judgment call. Too many deal breakers and the relationship will not be good.

My Wifemate (of 24 years now) proved herself when she handed me a snake she picked up off a park trail. Our "dates" tended to be hiking and rappelling and water-rescue details. There were dinner and movies too, but the REAL dates were in the great outdoors.

lol Hes a probation officer dude.

I think it's a great idea for a first date... and I'm with Miss Bi - I'm not into guns and stuff (although I love sport fishing but I haven't been for ages!). Caching is great fun - in fact I'm heading out with my daughter in a couple of hours when it's daylight outside :ph34r:

Male friends of mine have told me I have my "guy card"... meaning while I'm most definitely "all woman", I have enough tomboy in me to make gentlemen at ease and I'm not "high maintenance"... I don't care for fancy shoes or designer purses (heck I don't even carry a purse)... or any of those frou-frou trappings that some women seem to not be able to live without. I'm the "type" that would enjoy a day of caching, but I know a few womenfolk who would turn their nose up at the idea, so I suppose it does depend on the woman - but IMO, real women love geocaching!

I think geocaching as a first date shows some creativity - not the same old same old, and you'll have a sense of whether this person might share some of your interests or not.

I do think it's important for people to have things they do on their own, without somebody joined to their hip, but it's also important to have things you like to do *together*. It's all about balance!

I cache with my (teenaged) kids, sometimes I cache alone (not very often) and I've brought my ex-brother-in-law with us when he was in town to visit us, and before my boyfriend got sick and moved back North with his parents, he used to come with us sometimes too. It wasn't a "first date" for us - I picked up this hobby well after we started dating, and at first I think he thought it was a big geeky - but hey - I'm a geek and I'm proud - so he tagged along and he got into it.

It's a good family activity too - IMO while caching can be a good solo sport, it's much more fun with another or others involved.

As long as she's game, give it a go. And like others have said, if she's a high-maintenance type that isn't likely to find fun in bushwhacking or searching for a box full of McToys, she's not a keeper!

If somebody asked me geocaching on a first date (or second, or third...) I'd be happy to go!

Jenn

I do think it's important for people to have things they do on their own, without somebody joined to their hip, but it's also important to have things you like to do *together*. It's all about balance!

Jenn

Yup...I agree. Balance is very important. Otherwise you are going to wind up carrying your date all night, if she's unbalanced.

It would probably be ok if you went to a large PUBLIC park where there are other people on the trail. Some ladies may be nervous if a guy that they are going on a first date with said, "Hey, I know, let's go 15 miles into a National Forest and then hike another 5 to the most secluded spot that we can find."

What some women would hear is, "Hey would you mind carrying this duct tape and hachet?"

My wife and I went SCUBA diving in another state on our first date. When I got to her apartment, I put her mind at ease by handing her my cell phone and asking her to call her best friend and tell her exactly where we were going. She said that she already had.

If I were going to take a girl caching on our first date, I would print an extra copy of the cache page and have her give it to her roommate, best friend, sibling, parent, etc. Believe me, it will go along way to reducing the ax murdered vibe that she may be getting from you.

It should probably go without saying(but I'll say it anyway) that you should follow it up with a nice dinner, or a picnic at the park. If you are both of legal drinking age, pack in a bottle of wine(or a six pack of good beer if she is a really cool girl).

As far as sharing hobbies with your spouse/partner/significant other/long time companion, my wife and I share some hobbies, and some we don't. We have both learned to appreciate the time that we have spend away from each other. We learned early on that being joined at the hip wasn't a good idea for us.

Find a cache, shoot some guns, and have some brats or pizza and beer.

Sounds like a good date to me!

:blink:

Sounds like fun too!!! Seems like I remember doing that? Oh wait we did. :blink:

But that's not what we did on our first date. :anibad: (bad sci-fi movie)

If there were GPSr's back when we were dating, they were the size of redwoods!!! Like computers were back then. :wacko::blink:

But all kidding aside. Caching is a fun first date. Go for it. :anibad:

:wacko:

Great post Confucious!

If the other person doesn't share your love of geocaching, or dislikes the outdoors you know that you two are incompatible :anibad::anibad: Don't take him/her on a trip for a bunch of 1/1s in parking lots, or they will really think your nerdy. :blink:

how about the other extreme?

while doing a long cashing walk yesterday I thought about a great way to propose.

it would be sooo easy, hide a ring and maybe a note in the cashe, get down on one knee, hand it up to her, completely unawares she opens it, with maybe a new log book with "will you marry me" in it or just a ring, maybe a token cheap ring, something like that.If this has not been done before remember this was my great idea!

while doing a long cashing walk yesterday I thought about a great way to propose.

it would be sooo easy, hide a ring and maybe a note in the cashe, get down on one knee, hand it up to her, completely unawares she opens it, with maybe a new log book with "will you marry me" in it or just a ring, maybe a token cheap ring, something like that.If this has not been done before remember this was my great idea!

It's actually been done quite a few times. Most recent I know of is here.

My first date with my now wife was a weekend-long geocaching event on an island you had to boat to.

Our second date was beer and pizza.

A few dates later was to the private shooting club she belonged to.

How could I *not* marry a gal like that? :anibad:

I proposed to her at a geocaching event. Got down on one knee and gave her the ring from a decon container.

And of course our wedding was a weekend long geocaching event, held on the same island as our first date.

It's actually been done quite a few times. Most recent I know of is here.

My first date with my now wife was a weekend-long geocaching event on an island you had to boat to.

Our second date was beer and pizza.

A few dates later was to the private shooting club she belonged to.

How could I *not* marry a gal like that? :anibad:

I proposed to her at a geocaching event. Got down on one knee and gave her the ring from a decon container.

And of course our wedding was a weekend long geocaching event, held on the same island as our first date.

Sounds very cool! I wish they had had geocaching 23 years ago when I first met my wife. We did go on a lot of walks together. It's hard to beat a date that takes in beautiful scenery with a beautiful gal while you share your souls with each other. :anibad:

lol Hes a probation officer dude.

Yeah, I read that a little after i posted. There is only one reference to "teenager' in my post and it is "how they do dating". I don't think adults date a lot differently in general, after all most of them learned it as teenagers.

I think my post still applies regardless of age. Personally i count myself as one of the lucky ones that I did not get involved in dating in high school. Dating is really not suitable for the immature- even if it is not being done to 'shop for a mate."

The "don't be in no hurry" part is especially applicable to older people because the "biological clock" is ticking away and people tend to rush into a relationship just to get the family going before it's "too late."

Anyhow most of that is really somewhat off topic, but the gist of it is, if you enjoy geocaching, or anything else, doing that for a first date is quite healthy and wise in my opinion.

Edited by Confucius' Cat

Not so sure that as a fist date it would be such a great thing.

He - Want to go out into the woods alone with me?

She - (to herself, How soon is too soon to call 911?)

I suppose it would depend on how well you knew the person ahead of time.

"Dinner and a movie" or just dinner, allows a chance to get to know a bit about each other.

Find out what you have in common, and some of your differences.

After that share those experiences with each other. Do some of the things you both enjoy, and some of those things that fall into the differences category.

Unless you met at a Geo-event. Then go for it.

:o Caching as a first date? Yeah! I did that not to long ago and this week we placed our first joint cache together at her suggestion. (no, there wasn't any joints in it). She had never heard of geocaching before we met on Match.com. When she asked about things I like to do I mentioned caching amoung a few others. She asked what that was, I told her, She said that sounds like fun, I said Do you want to go, We went!

She signed up for an acct. that night after she got home. I took her to a park where I have a bunch of caches, which I knew were in good shape. When I got up the next morning it was really neat and unexpected to get OWNER e-mails with her logs. Yeah, that was a great first date! Think She liked it? I think so. Think she's a Keeper? I think so! BTW....For the "KIDS" out there shes 54 and I'm 59. Which is just to say that no matter what your age Caching can be a great first date. :P

The thing to do - is tell her about the game and see what her reaction is - some People love the idea and other don't. If she begs you to go - by all means go for it. The last girl I took caching loved the Hike and the place I chose but it all went sour when we went off trail. She had never done that before and she freaked a little. Not Bad but she was not comfortable. She didn't care the cache being dirty. Yet she plants flowers at home and gets dirty doing that. Oh well!

I would not recommend doing a new cache you are not familiar with - just to avoid a negative experience, a DNF, or a boring too easy one, not good for a 1st date. But then again it's all about her attitude and what you are use to. If her father is a park ranger - she might be fine.

Mostly I think it is a great first date but don't be surprized if a girl that doesn't know you, feels uneasy going in the woods with you, where no one else is around.

If they are into geocaching and you are into geocaching that's a great first date. The real first date though was the event cache or group you were caching with when you figured out you liked them.

If the real first date and the actual first date are at the same time, there is an art to having fun with the rest of the day when you figured out in 5 min that they are not what you thought they could have been...

I have often taken women geocaching on our first date, but then my wife always catches us and beats me up! Sigh!

:huh::D

:D

:D:D

In my case that would be 'Goecaching as a LAST date'. Big Bear packs heat, and she's a dam good shot. :huh:

My female perspective--I'd love a first date to be caching. I do think the prospective date would need to be someone who likes being outdoors, "adventure" and fun. But what a great way to get to know someone by sharing a hunt. :(

Of course, you do get into that safety issue...is he trustworthy to be alone with. So maybe its good with two people who kinda know each other enough to feel safe but haven't really dated yet.

That's a little sexist.

Well...I was kinda talking about ME...in which case, a date would be with a MALE...hence the reference to "HE". :( I don't have to worry about safety with myself. Although I have been known to steal money from myself....

Of course total strangers of either sex have to deal with the trustworthiness issue. Had I been thinking of the issue as a first date with a woman, I would have said "she". Had I been considering a first date with three men, a woman, a pig, a dog and a 3-legged ferret...I would have referenced "they." :(

I also said

So maybe its good with two people who kinda know each other enough to feel safe but haven't really dated yet
Edited by PlantAKiss

Well I think it is an awesome Idea! I broke up with my boyfriend of 3 yrs because he hated geocaching. I would definately take a guy out on a geocache for a first date. Show him how interesting of a person you are and it will be a date or a get together he will never forget.

And if he/she likes geocaching then they will most likely end up liking you.

Of all the friends I have introduced to geocaching they always ask me when I'm going to go caching again (with acception to my ex-Bf.... but who needed him anyway.)

Awww.

Edited by Tigeradgirl

Of course, you do get into that safety issue...is he trustworthy to be alone with. So maybe its good with two people who kinda know each other enough to feel safe but haven't really dated yet.

That is a VERY valid point.

There is always an element of risk on a first interaction. If it was a blind date I would be VERY concerned. In which case meeting in a very public place is prudent.

If it is not a blind date, there is a pretty good chance that the two know each other at least a little bit. Still the personal "comfort level" should dictate just how public the meeting place would be.

If you think about it, "Would you like to go walking alone with me in the woods?" sounds a lot like "Hey kid, would you like to go for a ride? I've got a nice puppy."

It IS a rough world and personal security is a valid concern.

Find a cache, shoot some guns, and have some brats or pizza and beer.

Sounds like a good date to me!

:rolleyes:

It does, doesn't it?

yes. helps that the girl in question was also a cacher, so the first date was not really a date just a lovely day out caching and chatting.

the second date was another day of caching with a nice meal out..... 2 1/2 months down the line and everything is going just fine thanks. ;)

Nobby has a girl?!? I'm so happy for you!! Well done, you!

See my sig line below:

Awesome sig! I feel like doing something Criminal, wanna go out?

To answer the OP's question ... I think it sounds like a great idea.