Question about Memorial coins.

UOTrackers

Perhaps some of you can help me with this. Just a few days ago we lost a great friend. He was one of the first Geocachers in our state, he helped to not only build SC up for Geocaching, but he helped start the South Carolina Geocaching Association, and was a major force in the fight to keep Geocaching legal in South Carolina. His loss is a tremendous loss for our community. I have offered to the family my assistance in having a coin minted for him, if they should choose to do so. I think it would be great for Jon to continue caching in this way.

My question is, do these Memorial coins actually travel or are they mostly bought for collections? I am sure that if the family chooses to go this route it would be so that Jon can keep caching in spirit, not get put into binders. So any input you can give me would be very helpful.

For anyone interested I am talking about Jon of Jon & Miki

I would think that some of this would depend on what you wanted to do. If you want to raise money, most of the coins sold would probably end up in collections due to the cost of about $10 or so. If you wanted to circulate the coins, you sell them for about $4 or so. I have seen very few BikeDog coins in the wild, but many more of the Motogrl coins. And I expect it was due to the cost.

Edited by geodiamond

Perhaps some of you can help me with this. Just a few days ago we lost a great friend. He was one of the first Geocachers in our state, he helped to not only build SC up for Geocaching, but he helped start the South Carolina Geocaching Association, and was a major force in the fight to keep Geocaching legal in South Carolina. His loss is a tremendous loss for our community. I have offered to the family my assistance in having a coin minted for him, if they should choose to do so. I think it would be great for Jon to continue caching in this way.

My question is, do these Memorial coins actually travel or are they mostly bought for collections? I am sure that if the family chooses to go this route it would be so that Jon can keep caching in spirit, not get put into binders. So any input you can give me would be very helpful.

I did do not know this individual but am saddened to hear about the loss of a fellow geocacher who obviously contributed so much to advance the sport in South Carolina or anywhere as far as that goes. I would think that if the family wished to put some coins into circulation they could activate all of them, name them, give well worded detailed descriptions and goals and then ask the South Carolina Geocaching Association membership who I am sure would be more than willing not to mention honored (considering his involvement with the organization) about putting them in the wild for the family to follow on GC.com. They may even wish to give a limited number of unactivated coins to certain individuals who were an influence in his life in rememberance of their loved one. This way the majority, if not all the coins would belong to the family and they would be able to follow the coins travels or as you put it "so that Jon can keep caching in spirit". I could imagine this may even provide them comfort in some way. Of course nothing would keep an individual from just keeping the coin if they find it in the wild but I think a well worded description and goal for the coin would keep most of the coins in action. I think the whole coin idea is pretty kewl and I may even suggest to my loved ones to do something like that for me when my time comes. Not sure I answered your question at all but felt compelled to respond. Hope this helps anyway.

Peace

jAY miLLS

When we did the motorgrrl coins we set the price very low (four bucks), which allowed us to sell more and get the subsequent discount. We also sold to locals only. Our thinking was that if they were very cheap and available to locals only that the majority of coins would travel and Leigh Ann's icon, which she was very proud of, would show up on a bunch of cache pages around the world. That seemed like a cool way to memorialize her. However, if the family had needed assistance we would have set the price considerably higher; in the 7.50 - $10 range and sold worldwide to generate as much money as possible.

Feel free to send me an email if you have any other questions.

Best wishes to Jon's family.

:ph34r: So sorry to hear that he is gone. That must be devastating, it sounds like he was a pillar of your community :ph34r:

I know I have seen 3 Motogrrl coins, and I have released 3 Bikedog coins- 1 is in his memorial cache, and the other 2 are traveling on his TB (soon to be reinstated, and 1 coin seperated) I have 4 more coins that will be going into his memorial cache as prizes and will be encouraged to be released, but I have not seen any in circulation.

I also picked up 2 Motogrrl coins while at geocoinfest for 4.00 each. They will be released soon- I activated and released 5 Travelers last night for my new Multi and the motogrrl coins were at home :o - They will be activated and in caches by Mon. or maybe Ill get some more and put these in with Bikedogs.- That sounds better.

Maybe if there was a way to sell them with the the bigger geocoin distributors...It would help getting them around better, I know I havent seen a place online where I could buy either of the coins...I found Bikedogs by emailing from a forum post to Cornerstone4- He's got em, I believe thats the way for Motogrrl's too (through an email). Cornerstone also sent 2 coins for Bikedogs cache.

Not too many coins come through this area where I am anyways, But I did just make my 1st Bug drop mutli last night at a major Hwy junction between hwy101 and I-5- so maybe we'll see some more of Bikedogs and Motogrrls coins and hopefully some of Jons too!-

I hope everyone heals well from this, and I sure hope Miki has support through all of this from friends- you dont know what to say, but it is best to be there if they need you.- Im sorry for your loss :P

Edited by 007BigD

Oh wow. I had the opportunity to meet Jon & Mikki on a handful of occaisons. Wonderful folks with some great caches all around South Carolina. My condolances to the family and his geofriends.

Coins that are meant to keep the memory alive, like the Motogrrl Memorial, are sold dirt cheap to sell more and get more coins out traveling to the wild. Coins that are to raise money for surviving children, like Scully & Mulder and Bike Dog, are higher priced to raise money for the official fund set up for the family at a local financial institution.

The coins will end up in collection no matter what the price is.

I think the best solution is to sell them as a pair with the same tracking number with one to keep and one to travel. All coins that I have aquired as pairs, I have set the second coin out to travel.

Keeping the price down will help sell more coins and get more in circulation.

Team Sand Dollar

I am sad to hear of your friend. It's a very nice idea to create some way for them to be remembered in the community.

To be honest - there is no real way to keep coins in circulation. They may travel a great distance, but it seems that most coins will eventually be taken into a collection or lost.

I agree that the goals will affect the rate in which these coins eventually de-circulate (as will numbers minted), however, eventually they all will be collected.

To keep a cachers memory alive in the form of a travelling item, I would suggest a traditional Travel Bug (or several). To create a wonderful memento or raise funds - the geocoin is a great way to go.

Sorry to hear about the loss of another cacher.

We did the 1701eh Memorial geocoins and our decision was to sell them at cost and also mentioned that if someone did want to donate something, they were free to do so. I think this was the right route to take in this case. And yes many of the coins have been put into circulation in our local area as many people knew 1701eh.

We made a version for Ontario cachers only and then another version that was sold to anyone that wanted them and a very limited amount of another version which we gave to the family to do with as they wanted. The whole project was very successful.

Definitely approach the family first to see if they are in agreement with the idea and if they are then you can continue from there.

Jen, So sorry to hear this news, I have only one memorial geocoin and its on the move Memorial Coin A Motogrrl memorial coin. It was actualy gifted to me and set free. Does not belong in a binder.

I would agree with TSD a great way to ensure these would travel would be to mint in sets with one to set free and one to collect, would encourage the collectors to also set the coin free. Or could be done like the Double Nickell coin and send out activated in the persons name (the travler) and then they keep the collector coin, just some thoughts.

Some will collect all, but some coins are ment to travel. as your Pay It Forward coin. I would buy some of these coins and set them free its a great way for the family to have the presence of there loved one remembered. Glenn

I am a little reserved to do this considering Jon was never about coins, icons, or the numbers. I think there could be better way that are more appropriate to honor him. He was simply about geocaching and our state and fighting hard for them both to stay together.

I am a little reserved to do this considering Jon was never about coins, icons, or the numbers. I think there could be better way that are more appropriate to honor him. He was simply about geocaching and our state and fighting hard for them both to stay together.

Going along with your line of thought, possibly a memorial cache, multi cache or a series of memorial caches would be more fitting. It eliminates the coin collector problem and still allows an opportunity for those who knew him to say a few words in rememberance in the log. Likewise it provides another cache or caches for those that didn't know him to seek out and locate which from what I am understanding in this thread is what he was all about anyway. That could be a nice tribute to his memory.

Going along with your line of thought, possibly a memorial cache, multi cache or a series of memorial caches would be more fitting. It eliminates the coin collector problem and still allows an opportunity for those who knew him to say a few words in rememberance in the log. Likewise it provides another cache or caches for those that didn't know him to seek out and locate which from what I am understanding in this thread is what he was all about anyway. That could be a nice tribute to his memory.

That is also more my thoughts too. Caches in his honor/in his name is more appropriate I believe. Maybe one day a monument placed in one or two of his favorite parks I think is ALOT more fitting.

Already in the process of doing that.

It's always sad to lose one of our own. I minted the motogrrl memorial with help from Bullit and other members of the GBA. Our reasoning for minting this coin was to have the coins circulate as a memorial to Leigh Ann. To encourage this, we worked with one of the coin manufacturers to give us an awesome deal on the coin, and then sold them for cost to locals (distributed at events, no extra shipping costs). We did a (no cash) pre-order on our local forums to gauge the number we would need to mint. Keeping the purchase price low (i.e. lower than a travelbug tag would cost) really helps people feel comfortable releasing them to travel.

I personally released over 50 of them, and they are wonderful to see moving around. We get wonderful comments left on the coins that are travelling. I see lots of other's out traveling the world as well.

That's our experience. :anibad:

--Marky

We'll be doing this as well.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone, I am NOT minting a coin, I offered my assistance to the family should they choose to do so, as a means of helping with the Dr.'s bills, and also as I said to keep Jon Caching. This is not my decision to make, I was just trying to get some information should they ask.

The coins will end up in collection no matter what the price is.

I think the best solution is to sell them as a pair with the same tracking number with one to keep and one to travel. All coins that I have aquired as pairs, I have set the second coin out to travel.

Keeping the price down will help sell more coins and get more in circulation.

Team Sand Dollar

Certainly, coins will end up in collections. I have a motogrrl in my collection. I also have over 50 out travelling. While minting a copy coin is great for people buying one coin to keep and one to travel, it defeats the purpose for those wanting to buy 10 (1 to keep, 9 to travel). In the end, fewer will be bought to travel than if you just keep the price ridiculously low so that people will want to buy more than just 1 to release. That's my opinion. :anibad:

--Marky

Certainly, coins will end up in collections. I have a motogrrl in my collection. I also have over 50 out travelling. While minting a copy coin is great for people buying one coin to keep and one to travel, it defeats the purpose for those wanting to buy 10 (1 to keep, 9 to travel). In the end, fewer will be bought to travel than if you just keep the price ridiculously low so that people will want to buy more than just 1 to release. That's my opinion. :anibad:

--Marky

Ditto. But it sounds more like a memorial cache or plaque would be more fitting based on a few comments here.

We'll be doing this as well.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone, I am NOT minting a coin, I offered my assistance to the family should they choose to do so, as a means of helping with the Dr.'s bills, and also as I said to keep Jon Caching. This is not my decision to make, I was just trying to get some information should they ask.

I think there are other ways we can help out with Dr. bills, by taking up donations, having BBQ sales and so on.

I like the idea of memorial caches or a plaque placed in his honor. Keeping "Jon Caching" is not what he was about. He was not about the numbers. Only about keeping geocaching alive in South Carolina that's why it makes more sense to go hide a cache in his honor.

I would think that some of this would depend on what you wanted to do. If you want to raise money, most of the coins sold would probably end up in collections due to the cost of about $10 or so. If you wanted to circulate the coins, you sell them for about $4 or so. I have seen very few BikeDog coins in the wild, but many more of the Motogrl coins. And I expect it was due to the cost.

These were my thoughts exactly. I think geocachers would do what the wishes of the family but it could be helped by pricing. If traveling is the key, sell them at cost and request they travel. If rasing money to assist the family is more the key, charge a higher price to raise more money. I personally would do what the family wanted if I purchased the coin. Sorry for not only your personal loss but the loss to the community!

I think there are other ways we can help out with Dr. bills, by taking up donations, having BBQ sales and so on.

I like the idea of memorial caches or a plaque placed in his honor. Keeping "Jon Caching" is not what he was about. He was not about the numbers. Only about keeping geocaching alive in South Carolina that's why it makes more sense to go hide a cache in his honor.

Well put Paula. I agree. Jon was just about geocaching, pure and simple. As far as caches go he liked them tough and in the woods. We placed a bunch today just to get together and see each other. We placed six in AJ State Park and they are there for Jon. I think that a coin is a nice idea but Jon never was much about them. His favorite coin was the SC_r volunteer coin he recieved from the reviewer for what he has done for caching as a whole. I like the sentiment of UOTrackers idea but I don't know how Jon would feel about it.

X