CITO Event Think Tank

In many places across the planet the annual CITO event planning is getting underway. Please use this thread to share ideas so that all of our events be more fun and interactive.

What are you doing to help people mingle easier?

What other activities besides CITO will you include?

Instruction for new cachers? How do you do this?

How do you get the word out for your event?

Do you do cache awards? If so, what are the categories?

What do you feel would make your event a success?

How many people do the organizing and how do you divide up the responsibilities?

I'm trying to setup a CITO event here. It will be the first for this area, if all goes to plan.

What are you doing to help people mingle easier?

What other activities besides CITO will you include?

I'll answer these two together. I'm planning on splitting the folks into teams and have some sort of prize for the team that collects the most trash. After the clean up, which will be in the nearby State Park, we will have have a picnic lunch.

How do you get the word out for your event?

We just formed a local group. I will use that web site as well as the GC site. The Park will also put it on their calendar. Not so much for this event, but with future events in mind, I plan on telling the local paper and the TV station about it. Hopefully we can get some free publicity. Yes it's that small of a town, that this would be somewhat news worthy. Maybe that will help us when we plan the next event.

How many people do the organizing and how do you divide up the responsibilities?

For this one, it's just me. Hopefully we can build on this and next time I'll have more help with the organizing and planning.

We had an idea during our first CITO this weekend for how to draw folks in.

We went to the MegaPott GeoOlympics in Bochum, which had over 50 caches placed specifically for the event but will be enduring caches even after the event is over. A good number of the caches were placed around the event site itself, which was also the start point for the CITO the next day.

For the CITO, we were split into around 20 teams with around 10 people in each team. Specific sectors of the surrounding neighborhood were designated for the CITO, with each sector having one or two CITO teams assigned.

When we were searching for trash in our designated sector, we stumbled upon a mystery cache! It took us completely by surprise (though of course we were not so shocked that we forgot to log it).

For CITOs, then, I think it would be a great incentive for organizers to hide a mystery cache (or caches, if the area is big enough and enough folks come) with just the general sector given. You could give another clue the day of the CITO, then let folks go out and pick up trash and look for the cache. Once the event was done, you could edit the mystery cache to make it accessible for cachers who didn't attend.

Just our two cents.