Pre-sale :Ellandel's Australia 2007

Ellandel

This is the fourth coin in the series 'Geocoins around the Planet' and this is a coin you will not want to miss !

The design idea for the Ellandel Australia 2007 Geocoin came from a local Geocoin enthusiast.

Many thanks to Carolyn Rutter who provided lots of creative ideas, website addresses and advice for this great coin.

The team behind this coins really likes it and we hope you will too !

page5.4.gif

The Geocoin is based on a design inspired by aboriginal art.

To order this coin, and for interesting articles on the aborigines, their history and their customs, :

GO TO THE SALES SITE

For the full story behind my series :

Click here!

Cheers, and let me know what you think !

Ellandel

How are you doing the color on color parts like the red lines in the orange and such?

Actually the lines you see are recessed or raised metal under the transparent paint layer. The colors on the snake's body are all translucent.

Also the white dots are glow-in-the-dark.

A technique already used on some other coins

Hope you like it

Cheers

Ellandel

That was a bit mean, starting the sale in the middle of the night, Aussie time! :ph34r:

Any chance of a trade for the sold out versions? :ph34r:

Apologies to all the geocachers Down Under, but I never thought that the limited editions would be sold out in less than a day, although I had doubled the usual quantities (100 instead of the usual 50 or 60). :o

There are still Polished Nickel coins available. And I have a subscription service for those who don't want to miss a single coin...

However, as a courtesy to the collectors who purchased the limited editions, I can't decently start another production run...

But don't worry, for the 3 previous coins in my series, I always had around 10% of the pre-orders that were never paid. So I will re-open the sales with leftover unpaid coins in about a month

Watch my website and I'll keep you informed

see you on www.ellandel.com

Cheers

Ellandel

I got several questions about the origin of the design : is it a copy of an authentic aboriginal drawing or is it a new design ? Some were talking about violating aboriginal copyrights or counterfeiting...

Nothing to worry about : this is an original drawing. Of course it was inspired by the aboriginal mythology, but it is not a copy in any way.

I have been told that counterfeiting of aboriginal art is a big problem in Australia. Any geocachers 'down under' who can confirm ?

Cheers

Ellandel

I got several questions about the origin of the design : is it a copy of an authentic aboriginal drawing or is it a new design ? Some were talking about violating aboriginal copyrights or counterfeiting...

Nothing to worry about : this is an original drawing. Of course it was inspired by the aboriginal mythology, but it is not a copy in any way.

I have been told that counterfeiting of aboriginal art is a big problem in Australia. Any geocachers 'down under' who can confirm ?

Cheers

Ellandel

The perceived problems in this case may be due to the imitation of an aspect of the aboriginal culture. Many cultures have issues with people "reproducing" their style and/or modifying it to any extent. I don't have a problem with this geocoin myself (though i am like most cachers in AU, of a non-aborginal decendancy), just that it is prudent to respect the culture of an area when visiting.

I'm sure this geocoin was done in good taste, just be ware of future cultural issues when producing these items.

mm

>The perceived problems in this case may be due to the imitation of an aspect of the aboriginal culture. Many cultures have issues with people "reproducing" their style and/or modifying it to any extent.

No biggie there that I'm aware of-in fact our experience is the opposite - the 'style' is actively taken into schools worldwide by th aboriginal community, and others, to promote understanding and acceptance. Which is why we used it in fact. Luc loved the idea of actual children's art being reproduced on the coin but the technical aspects required an adult drawing - unless it was printed on. I'm still amazed it was even possible in the current format - my hat off to the mint if thay can make it! If it comes off at all well it's also due to the little critics who utterly rejected the plain coloured snake with five pointed stars surrounding it.

Usually the big problem is just that the art produced is dreadful; as clunky as Spode pottery compared to a real Ming vase. ( PS the famous blue and white willow plate pattern is NOT fashioned on a chinese love story - it's just a landscape with a bit of spin added by some romantic - that's the sort of thing that sends a cringe through ethnic artists so appolgies if I've managed to create a similar twang)

But painting/retelling a Dreaming Story per se IS a 'copyright' no no I'm well aware of so this coin does not relate to an actual Dreaming story. I drivel on about the coin's meaning and design process around clue 3-4 of the current game in my sig line - although you are supposed to GUESS the identity coin I am offering the winner; so now that little secret is out will I leave the meaning of the skin patterns mysterious in the tradition of the compass rose 06 after which the transparencies are fashioned, or offer a second prize for guessing them :D ?

Having an aussie kid do the artwork would have elevated this coin to good company. Our flag is actually a child's design as well! There is also a recent series of Australian coins in circulation featuring children's artwork. Prize draw for those who can name these and their designers might make a nice game too.

Hold your shots- don't post the answers here!

Edited by forthferalz