Idaho to Oregon to Washington and back

BRoKeN W

Next month we plan on taking a road trip. We plan on driving to Portland first (staying a day or two), then possibly Astoria & Canon Beach, from there we'll head to Seattle (staying a few days) and then back home (not taking the same route).

So are there any must "do" caches that you all suggest we hit? We thought about seeing if we can tackle the Project A.P.E cache, but are not sure if that is suitable for young children (might have to drag them along). Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Next month we plan on taking a road trip. We plan on driving to Portland first (staying a day or two), then possibly Astoria & Canon Beach, from there we'll head to Seattle (staying a few days) and then back home (not taking the same route).

So are there any must "do" caches that you all suggest we hit? We thought about seeing if we can tackle the Project A.P.E cache, but are not sure if that is suitable for young children (might have to drag them along). Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

If you're headed through the La Grande or Baker City area I could suggest a cache or two. I've also cached quite a bit in the southwest part of Portland. Let me know.

Thanks!

Yes, don't miss the opportunity to visit the Original Stash Tribute Plaque while you're in Portland!

The A.P.E. cache is another story. It's a very cool must-do, but there's a reason why it hasn't been found since early November. The primary access through the Snoqualmie Tunnel is closed until May or later if the icicles inside aren't gone by then. The only other way to get there is on the Annette Lake Trail. That's a pretty good hike when the trail is clear, but we have had much more snow than usual this year. No way would I try taking young children up that way anytime soon. Besides that, the area is prone to avalanches - there are still remnants of many avalanche sheds built to protect the trains when the trail was an active railroad. I strongly recommend that you save the A.P.E. cache for your next trip - in the summer!

If you're headed through the La Grande or Baker City area I could suggest a cache or two. I've also cached quite a bit in the southwest part of Portland. Let me know.

We'll be driving right through the La Grande/Baker City area, any suggestions you have would be most appreciated. We don't have much time to spend caching in that area though, so anything that would be easy to get to from the Interstate would be great. Thanks!

That's too bad about the Project A.P.E cache. Maybe another time. We only get to take a vacation once every two years (if that).

We will definitely be visiting the Original Stash Tribute Plaque, that is a must have! :ph34r:

Does anyone know of any caches around Multnomah Falls?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Quick & easy off I-84 Exit 151 GCRTRT Threemile Rockpile. Good view of the Columbia River from nearby. :ph34r:

There are several good ones near Multnomah Falls if you have the time to spend.

Tom Fuller Crescent, Oregon

Thanks for the suggestion!

We'll probably be spending about an hour or so visiting Multnomah Falls, but have to be cautious with the terrain level just in case my mother backs out on watching our kids at the last minute.

We'll be driving right through the La Grande/Baker City area, any suggestions you have would be most appreciated. We don't have much time to spend caching in that area though, so anything that would be easy to get to from the Interstate would be great. Thanks!

Here are some near the interstate starting with Baker City and heading Northwest toward Portland: Archimedes' Constant, a puzzle cache you can solve at home. Take the first Baker City exit, left on Myrtle Street, can't miss it. If you can afford to take a slight detour I'd recommend the 5-mile drive after taking the 3rd Baker exit (towards Richland) and heading east towards the Interpretive Center. You'll run right into a virtual, Oregon Trail. Right down the road (.4 miles) is my Cachin' below the I.C. cache. It's a bit of a walk but you may be ready for one at this point.

35 miles down I-84 you'll want to hit For the Birds. Take the Foothill Road exit. Take a right and a quick left to the trailhead. It'll be another opportunity for a walk along a nature trail. At a quick pace you could do it in under 20 minutes. You can do this in conjunction with Viewing Pleasure. Just make sure you backtrack to the Interstate.. it's more direct than travelling through town. Unless of course you want to solve my SP Tribute Cache. It's on the edge of town near Viewing Pleasure. From SP Tribute head SE to get back to 84.

Last, you'll definitely want to hit Hilgard "High". It's a park and grab at a State Park just off the interstate. It's a micro that's a bit outside the box.

That's too bad about the Project A.P.E cache. Maybe another time. We only get to take a vacation once every two years (if that).

We will definitely be visiting the Original Stash Tribute Plaque, that is a must have! :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of any caches around Multnomah Falls?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Since your question never really got answered: Mulnomah Falls Cache

Looks all of the 3-star terrain rating. Follow the path to the top and keep going a spell. I haven't done it personally, but it's on my to-do list. :huh:

If you have the time while at Multnomah Falls, continue on up the trail along the creek to GCWV72-This One's for Dasein. Dasein was FTF and put in my TB "Hide & Seek Lives On" which is now somewhere in Idaho.

If you could track it down and bring it back to Oregon, it would really be appreciated.

I hope to get up in that area sometime this summer.

Thanks, Tom Fuller

Will be loading up the pocket query tomorrow night. Thanks for all the help! If there are any more caches you think of that we should get while we are in Portland, Astoria, Cannon Beach or Seattle, please let us know. Also does can anyone give us insight to what the gas prices are like in Oregon & Washington? We have to take our gas guzzler now that the kids are going with us. Thanks again! Can't wait to leave on Sunday morning! :lol:

Will be loading up the pocket query tomorrow night. Thanks for all the help! If there are any more caches you think of that we should get while we are in Portland, Astoria, Cannon Beach or Seattle, please let us know. Also does can anyone give us insight to what the gas prices are like in Oregon & Washington? We have to take our gas guzzler now that the kids are going with us. Thanks again! Can't wait to leave on Sunday morning! :huh:

I concur with tomfuller about the Multnomah cache or anything along that stretch of the Gorge. If you can spare the time, get off on the Historic Columbia River Highway for some great scenery and a multitude of trailheads. My grandson and I were just up in that area and did the three caches along Latourell Falls Trail (check out my blog entry). The caches were How Goofy! * Billy Goats Gruff * Underwater Sunlight and nearby Curious Gorge.

Gas prices - Portland $2.87 at a Safeway with discount card (I'm not a Portland resident but was just there this weekend).

Have a great time!

Will be loading up the pocket query tomorrow night. Thanks for all the help! If there are any more caches you think of that we should get while we are in Portland, Astoria, Cannon Beach or Seattle, please let us know. Also does can anyone give us insight to what the gas prices are like in Oregon & Washington? We have to take our gas guzzler now that the kids are going with us. Thanks again! Can't wait to leave on Sunday morning! :huh:

I concur with tomfuller about the Multnomah cache or anything along that stretch of the Gorge. If you can spare the time, get off on the Historic Columbia River Highway for some great scenery and a multitude of trailheads. My grandson and I were just up in that area and did the three caches along Latourell Falls Trail (check out my blog entry). The caches were How Goofy! * Billy Goats Gruff * Underwater Sunlight and nearby Curious Gorge.

Gas prices - Portland $2.87 at a Safeway with discount card (I'm not a Portland resident but was just there this weekend).

Have a great time!

If you're going through Astoria, assume you may be coming over the bridge to Washington there. Take a short detour to Long Beach and visit Cape Disappointment State Park. You won't regret it. This is where Lewis and Clark ended their journey to find the Pacific. En route, stop at the very interesting virtual Journey's End, which highlights some fascinating details of their decision on where to winter before heading back. Then go to the park, where you can see two lighthouses, lots of great views of the mouth of the Columbia and the Pacific, the first installation of Maya Lin's Convergence Project, and visit one of the most awesome view caches anywhere, Room With a View (easy walk to a secluded, stunning cliffside ocean view complete with old military bunkers). If you have time, drive up the peninsula (on the beach or on the roads) to Oysterville, a historic oyster-harvesting village and do the short, excellent multi, Oysterville Revisited.

From there, you can go up through Raymond on your way to Seattle, where the equally amazing, aforementioned Half Moon Cache resides.

If your coming as far south along the coast as Cannon Beach, You can hike down the beach from a small park in Seaside to "Whalers Point" GCJN1. If and only if you hit the low tide, consider "Arch Cape" GC1383.

For this one park near the north end of the tunnel, hike down to the beach, head south through the arch, admire the rocky beach and find the cache. "Remember to look up!"

Also remember to bring my TB back to Oregon. Have fun at Multnomah!

Tom Fuller

If your coming as far south along the coast as Cannon Beach, You can hike down the beach from a small park in Seaside to "Whalers Point" GCJN1. If and only if you hit the low tide, consider "Arch Cape" GC1383.

For this one park near the north end of the tunnel, hike down to the beach, head south through the arch, admire the rocky beach and find the cache. "Remember to look up!"

Also remember to bring my TB back to Oregon. Have fun at Multnomah!

Tom Fuller

Sounds like a neat cache! Got your TB packed in our swag bag, so it's ready to come home :D

Will be loading up the pocket query tomorrow night. Thanks for all the help! If there are any more caches you think of that we should get while we are in Portland, Astoria, Cannon Beach or Seattle, please let us know. Also does can anyone give us insight to what the gas prices are like in Oregon & Washington? We have to take our gas guzzler now that the kids are going with us. Thanks again! Can't wait to leave on Sunday morning! :D

Have a great time!

Will definitely check those out. Gas prices seem to be around what they are here, so that's good news (or is it? LOL!) Thanks!

If you're going through Astoria, assume you may be coming over the bridge to Washington there. Take a short detour to Long Beach and visit Cape Disappointment State Park. You won't regret it. This is where Lewis and Clark ended their journey to find the Pacific. En route, stop at the very interesting virtual Journey's End, which highlights some fascinating details of their decision on where to winter before heading back. Then go to the park, where you can see two lighthouses, lots of great views of the mouth of the Columbia and the Pacific, the first installation of Maya Lin's Convergence Project, and visit one of the most awesome view caches anywhere, Room With a View (easy walk to a secluded, stunning cliffside ocean view complete with old military bunkers). If you have time, drive up the peninsula (on the beach or on the roads) to Oysterville, a historic oyster-harvesting village and do the short, excellent multi, Oysterville Revisited.

From there, you can go up through Raymond on your way to Seattle, where the equally amazing, aforementioned Half Moon Cache resides.

Actually we'll be heading to Seattle from Portland. Astoria will just be a side trip on Monday for us, and we leave out of Portland on Tuesday. Sounds like we'll be missing some pretty nice caches :D

Thanks!