Upgrade question

I'm thinking about possibly trading up from my Magellan explorist 210. I know this is a moot point but it is worth looking at the garmins over the magellans. I was wanting one about the same size as the explorist and my top end price would be $250. Want one that runs on aa batteries - no built in lithium. Any suggestions?

I've read that garmin takes less time to "settle" but a magellan reads better in cover, any truth to that to those that have had both?

I'm thinking about possibly trading up from my Magellan explorist 210. I know this is a moot point but it is worth looking at the garmins over the magellans. I was wanting one about the same size as the explorist and my top end price would be $250. Want one that runs on aa batteries - no built in lithium. Any suggestions?

I've read that garmin takes less time to "settle" but a magellan reads better in cover, any truth to that to those that have had both?

I've had explorist 200 and 500, and etrex legend. the explorists are MUCH better in any kind of cover. You can get a refurbished 500 for around $150. If you don't like the li battery (why not?!?) you can get the aa clip adapter from Cabela's for about 5 bucks. I carry one as a backup but I love charging the li as I drive.

BTW, people are saying that if you by the 500LE, which is supposed to just have the aa power source, some places are packaging a li battery anyway.

On the Garmin side, you would be looking at a Venture Cx or Legend Cx. Reception and size is about the same as the Explorist line.

Have you compared the color eTrexes with the eXplorist line? I thought the color eTrex line was on par with the non-SiRF 60/76 series. If that is the case, the eXplorist is far better in terms of reception.

I ended up taking a plunge and got a Garmin etrex Vista CX. I've often read about the magellan reception being better in cover, but so far, the vista does better. It picks up good signals in houses where my magellan would not get any signal. It also acquires a good lock alot faster. Have yet to do any caching with it - just now got it all loaded up with way points. Definitely prefer the interface over the magellan. I'll let you know how it goes.