pocket knife or multitool safe for cache?

raybonz

I was thinking that an inexpensive pocket knife or multitool would be handy items for a geocacher. Would these be considered to be "safe" items to leave in a cache?

Ray

Is it "safe". Well some Cachers think so. Others have concerns. But the Groundspeak guidelines prohibit them. But they do get in Caches from time to time. Sometimes by persons unaware of the guideline. Others I suspect are stubborn and do it because they want to.

Land Managers and Kids are the reason they are prohibited. Many adults would appreciate finding them, but it's just not worth the harm that can come to our game if they generate negative attention.

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled.

I was thinking that an inexpensive pocket knife or multitool would be handy items for a geocacher. Would these be considered to be "safe" items to leave in a cache?

Ray

Nope, our cache had a multitool in it initially when we listed it and we were asked to remove the item from the cache after a finder said that he would have loved to take it but didnt have a worthy swap.

They dont like things like knifes, scissors etc, but things like fishing hooks, mirrors, glass, metal spoons etc are acceptable........ Go figure!

Apparently its because they are potentially dangerous items from what our cache approver said. Im sure that if I had to kill someone/something then even a spoon would do the job if it was used right.

Are they safe? Absolutely. Should you leave them? Absolutely not.

Any person with a little common sense knows that these things are tools, not weapons. The law backs this up in most jurisdictions in the US.

Regardless what of common sense and the law tells you, some bureaucrats sitting in offices believe differently. Geocaching was banned entirely in one park system when a park official found mention of a pocket knife being in a cache at one time. He didn't even find the knife, just the mention of it in the log book.

Because of this and concerns raised by other land managers, this website decided to ban knives and multitools from caches.

There is nothing keeping you from leaving one and the next finder might be grateful to find one, but there is a chance (however remote) that you could be jeopardizing the sport in your area by doing so.

BTW, it's a good idea to read the guidelines even if you aren't hiding a cache and imperative that you do so if you are hiding a cache.

Hi Brian,

Thanx for the response. First let me say I will not do anything to jeopardize geocaching. While I feel they are safe public opinion varies on this matter therefore I won't leave these items. While I think it's OK to leave toys etc. I would like to leave items that an adult geocacher would find useful with this hobby. For instance I have left rain ponchos, batteries etc. that can help someone while they are at the cache. What I want to do is reverse the trend of leaving useless junk items and leading by example is the best way to do this. Believe it or not there are many decent items that can be had for $2.00 or less that would come in handy for a geocacher. Just hoping this post gives me ideas so I can enhance geocaching.

Ray

Hi Brian,

Thanx for the response. First let me say I will not do anything to jeopardize geocaching. While I feel they are safe public opinion varies on this matter therefore I won't leave these items. While I think it's OK to leave toys etc. I would like to leave items that an adult geocacher would find useful with this hobby. For instance I have left rain ponchos, batteries etc. that can help someone while they are at the cache. What I want to do is reverse the trend of leaving useless junk items and leading by example is the best way to do this. Believe it or not there are many decent items that can be had for $2.00 or less that would come in handy for a geocacher. Just hoping this post gives me ideas so I can enhance geocaching.

Ray

I have found small, inexpensive multi tools without blades. These would be great trade items. Like you, I also leave rain ponchos and batteries (though there are some people who think batteries should not be in caches).

Some other inexpensive adult type things that I've left: Mini spray cans of WD40, insect repellent wipes, individual travel packs of Wet Ones, eyeglass repair kits, waterproof match containers, small Lock n Locks and office supplies such as small boxes of paper clips, push pins and packs of Post Its.

Hi Brian,

Ray

I have found small, inexpensive multi tools without blades. These would be great trade items. Like you, I also leave rain ponchos and batteries (though there are some people who think batteries should not be in caches).

Some other inexpensive adult type things that I've left: Mini spray cans of WD40, insect repellent wipes, individual travel packs of Wet Ones, eyeglass repair kits, waterproof match containers, small Lock n Locks and office supplies such as small boxes of paper clips, push pins and packs of Post Its.

I feel we think alike on cache items. I just picked up 4 decks of playing cards another good cache item for parents and kids. Funny you mention it but I picked up an eye glass repair kit and decided not to get that. I also looked at magnifiers another great item. I'll bet someone would say wd-40, magnifiers etc. are also bad. You can protect people from many things but you can't protect them from themselves! If you have any other ideas please lemme know I can always use the info.

Thanx,

Ray

Edited by raybonz

You can protect people from many things but you can't protect them from themselves!

Boy, ain't that the truth. Hope nobody has the ammo can lid slam down on their head while they're drooling over the non-sharp, rounded corners, plastic toys inside! :laughing:

Come to think of it, many items in a cache are also choking hazzards! :P

But on the serious side, we can joke about it, but the rules are there for a reason and should be respected.

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

You can protect people from many things but you can't protect them from themselves!

Boy, ain't that the truth. Hope nobody has the ammo can lid slam down on their head while they're drooling over the non-sharp, rounded corners, plastic toys inside! :)

Come to think of it, many items in a cache are also choking hazzards! :huh:

But on the serious side, we can joke about it, but the rules are there for a reason and should be respected.

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

Hey Mike,

That's some funny stuff with some truth to it! I thought of leaving shoelaces then realized some rocket scientist would either hang themselves with it or worse yet strangle someone else instead lol.. Nail clippers would be another handy item now I think of it. Do you think that would be a bad idea? My feeling is if you can't leave something other than broken pens, pencils or sticks then perform a TNLN or just add something so the next cacher gets a reward. Mostly kids enjoy finding a treasure (I'm a BIG kid). Creative caches enhance the hobby eventually I'll get it right.

Ray

:anibad:

I agree about following rules as much as I love my leatherman - also I can't see getting a good multitool for under $20 (Leatherman Micra), and if it's not a good one - who wants it anyway?

I've been wondering about collectibles though - geocoins are great collectibles, but some people collect McDonald's toys, Boyds Bears, Barbie Dolls and millions of other items which I would consider JUNK!! My opinion is if you don't want it TNLN - but don't complain about it - go to the next one and hope it's better. :D Or better yet, take nothing, but leave something that you would like to find. Wouldn't it improve the whole community (we are a community aren't we?) if we all only left things that we felt at one time or another we would like to find? By that I mean today I wouldn't want to find insect repellent - it's snowing, but in July it would be great to find so leave it year round and someone at some time will want it. Take a good assortment of sizes too in case the container in case the container is smaller or fuller than you expected.

I am a newbie and this is just what I thought I would do.

One thing that I have recently been buying and leaving in caches are little first aid kits that I get for 94 cents at Wally World in the checkout aisle. They are small, useful and can be a wonderful thing to have in a time of need. I cache with my three kids 17,11,6 and we quite often getting to use our first aid kit ( albeit a slightly larger one) to patch up scratches, cuts and assorted other boo-boo's and mysterious owies that appear out of nowhere. Just my 2 cents... Have a great day!!

Well, aren't jackknives and multitools a little bit on the pricey side for a swag item? I can't imagine such an item remaining in a cache past one or two finders. I'd much rather find one than another golf ball or plastic spider (my apologies to lovers of golf balls and plastic spiders).

As far as safety goes, responsible parents should always check the cache contents before letting their young ones put their hands inside. That's just a parent's responsibility. I've seen caches with other tools such as pliers and screwdrivers. Others have sharp pencils which can easily harm a young one's hands.

Things have really changed since I was a kid. We routinely played with pocket knives, BB buns, and the like. When I was a kid, it wasn't unusual for a teenager to own a 22 rifle. (been there, done that). But nowadays, a kid can get expelled from school just for DRAWING a picture of a gun. With that in mind, do you really want to leave an item that could cause such grief for any child that trades for it?

But, if you really want to leave one, despite all that has been said here, then I have one suggestion. Place it in a cache with high difficulty and difficult terrain. I am assuming children, young enough to need "protection" from such swag items, wouldn't be along on such a difficult hunt. That's up to you.

All that being said, I try to play by the rules. The rules say not to trade such items, so I don't, and don't intend to ... unless the rules change.

And ...

... I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for following the rules.

Another thing to remember is that caches are not always found by people out looking for them. I think most people spending the time and money to buy a GPS, swag items, etc. are going to be responsible with items they may find but others that may just happen to find them may not be as responsible.

I'm hoping to leave my neighbor's juvenile delinquent children in the next cache I find. I just have to figger out how to cut them up small enough to fit into a regular cache. Or better yet - into a microcache.

Maybe one of those Blendtec blenders - they seem to chop up just about anything.

:P

:(

.z

I'm hoping to leave my neighbor's juvenile delinquent children in the next cache I find. I just have to figger out how to cut them up small enough to fit into a regular cache. Or better yet - into a microcache.

Maybe one of those Blendtec blenders - they seem to chop up just about anything.

:rolleyes:

;)

.z

LOL we all know it's illegal to leave food in caches and that would be considered to be some sort of animal feed :(

Ray

One of the main reasons the no knife/scissors/etc came about several years ago, about 2003 If I remember correctly. Seems that a prison crew was cleaning by the side of the road and found the cache. Needless to say, the issue of a knife inside that a convict could find was not acceptable to some people. . .

Wesley

Geocaching since 2001

One of the main reasons the no knife/scissors/etc came about several years ago, about 2003 If I remember correctly. Seems that a prison crew was cleaning by the side of the road and found the cache. Needless to say, the issue of a knife inside that a convict could find was not acceptable to some people. . .

Wesley

Geocaching since 2001

Thanx for chiming in Wesley. I only put this out as a feeler for opinions. I would be more afraid of a prisoner finding a tire iron,rod or rock for that matter. Most anything can be a weapon in the wrong hands. I will not place a small pocket knife or multi-tool in a cache because it's against the rules. Basically I was thinking the keychain variety but I guess anything that can be construed a weapon is a no-no. This post has given me a few good ideas for items so far.

Ray

Team5150 mentioned a great idea, thanks. Those little first aid kits would come in handy, I'll check the dollar store or Wally for a few to leave behind.

In another thread, I remember mention of leaving trash bags for others to use on their way out. In the near future, I will be rolling a few for this purpose.

... I'd much rather find one than another golf ball or plastic spider (my apologies to lovers of golf balls and plastic spiders). ...

I like the golf balls. They make great targets. However back in the day they used to make them out of wound rubber much like a long rubber band. Now they are specialty materials. The rubber band variety work much better at stopping a .22 round. The newer ones the bullet goes right through. It's a rare golf ball now that can take a bullet and come back for more. They are still fun to shoot. But their lack of durability means I have to keep the caches cleaned out of them in my area. :rolleyes:

...In another thread, I remember mention of leaving trash bags for others to use on their way out. In the near future, I will be rolling a few for this purpose.

One use for film canisters it to put a grocery bag. They work as trash bags for a little litter on the way out. They aslo fit in the film canniser. Best of all that's one less micro cache in circulation.

... I'd much rather find one than another golf ball or plastic spider (my apologies to lovers of golf balls and plastic spiders). ...

I like the golf balls. They make great targets. However back in the day they used to make them out of wound rubber much like a long rubber band. Now they are specialty materials. The rubber band variety work much better at stopping a .22 round. The newer ones the bullet goes right through. It's a rare golf ball now that can take a bullet and come back for more. They are still fun to shoot. But their lack of durability means I have to keep the caches cleaned out of them in my area. :sad:

When hit with an accelerator round, the golf ball gets hollow. Neat then for a mini cache.

randyinaloha

My husband and I cache alone with no children, but I've still gathered quite the collection of pocket knives. If I see them in a cache, especially a kid friendly one, I take them and don't feel guilty about it. I always try to keep items that make it a fair trade, but sometimes when I log a find I want to paste a copy of the rules prohibiting pocket knives in caches in the log. Ah well, such is life.

As far as purchasing swag to buy, I love to hit the camping supply section of the local army navy. I've gotten the rubber sipper inserts for wide mouthed water bottles, whistles, ponchos, water purification tablets, emergency blankets, those inexpensive field guides to local birds, trees or toxic plants, etc. I've also made a few things like Morse Code guides to go with the whistles, beaded book thongs, info guides to local parks. I never leave nothing. Even if there's nothing we'd like to take, we always try to put something cool in it.