Mapsource auto routing

Auto routing works on my Canada Topo but when I load my US topo maps, it doesn't work on the US side. I do have the preference set to enable auto routing... :P

The other problem I have with Mapsource is that after I did a fresh install from my CD (Canada topo V2), I did the update but I can't see the detailed roads like on my previous install. I only have the main roads like on the basemap. I have the topo details but not the roads. I'm not too worried about this since it's on my second computer but now I'm worried if I have to reformat my main computer (I usually do this for maintenance once in a while) that I will loose my detailed rural roads...

Auto routing works on my Canada Topo but when I load my US topo maps, it doesn't work on the US side. I do have the preference set to enable auto routing... :P

The other problem I have with Mapsource is that after I did a fresh install from my CD (Canada topo V2), I did the update but I can't see the detailed roads like on my previous install. I only have the main roads like on the basemap. I have the topo details but not the roads. I'm not too worried about this since it's on my second computer but now I'm worried if I have to reformat my main computer (I usually do this for maintenance once in a while) that I will loose my detailed rural roads...

I am pretty sure that you can't autoroute on US topo maps. I have heard that you can autoroute on the more detailed topo maps for national parks, but not the regular topo maps.

OK... I'll keep adding on, I can't run my US topo without the CD. When I install, It doesn't let me select the maps that I want to install on the Harddrive.

To follow the answer to your original Q, Topo USA does not autoroute. The National Parks 24K products have routable trails.

As far as the CDs go, it is designed to work that way, but there are a couple of workarounds. You can copy all the data on the CDs to the hard drive and then edit the computers registry (I would not recommend this method, but the steps are here on the board somewhere). The easiest way is to uninstall the program, copy all the data to a folder on your hard drive and install from there.

OK... I'll keep adding on, I can't run my US topo without the CD. When I install, It doesn't let me select the maps that I want to install on the Harddrive.

To follow the answer to your original Q, Topo USA does not autoroute. The National Parks 24K products have routable trails.

As far as the CDs go, it is designed to work that way, but there are a couple of workarounds. You can copy all the data on the CDs to the hard drive and then edit the computers registry (I would not recommend this method, but the steps are here on the board somewhere). The easiest way is to uninstall the program, copy all the data to a folder on your hard drive and install from there.

Coach88

Editing the registry is fairly simple. Just be sure to double check everything before you hit enter. Here's the instructions from the past thread.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...l=edit+registry (original thread)

To edit the registry for Using CDs saved on Computer.

Close the MapSource program (if it's open)

Make a new folder in your C:\Garmin folder and name it "Topo"

CD 1 contains a folder named "West"

CD 2 contains a folder named "East"

CD 3 contains a folder named "Alaska" and a folder named "Hawaii"

Copy those folders into your "C:\Garmin\Topo" folder

Click your Windows Start button and select "Run"

Where it says "Open", type in "REGEDIT"

Click the "OK" button

Double-Click the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

Click on the following plus signs in sequence"

+SOFTWARE

+Garmin

+MapSource

+Products

Click on the folder named "6", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\East" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\East

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "7", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\West" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\West

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "8", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\Hawaii" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\Hawaii

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "9", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\Alaska" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\Alaska

Click the "OK" button. Close the Registry Editor window

Open MapSource. Your Topo maps should now open without the CDs!!!

Coach88

Editing the registry is fairly simple. Just be sure to double check everything before you hit enter. Here's the instructions from the past thread.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...l=edit+registry (original thread)

To edit the registry for Using CDs saved on Computer.

Close the MapSource program (if it's open)

Make a new folder in your C:\Garmin folder and name it "Topo"

CD 1 contains a folder named "West"

CD 2 contains a folder named "East"

CD 3 contains a folder named "Alaska" and a folder named "Hawaii"

Copy those folders into your "C:\Garmin\Topo" folder

Click your Windows Start button and select "Run"

Where it says "Open", type in "REGEDIT"

Click the "OK" button

Double-Click the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

Click on the following plus signs in sequence"

+SOFTWARE

+Garmin

+MapSource

+Products

Click on the folder named "6", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\East" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\East

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "7", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\West" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\West

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "8", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\Hawaii" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\Hawaii

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "9", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\Alaska" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\Alaska

Click the "OK" button. Close the Registry Editor window

Open MapSource. Your Topo maps should now open without the CDs!!!

I just tried your suggestion with Worldmap V2 and it worked like a charm. I had to change the "Bmap" registry key as well from D:\Tdb\WorldMap.img to C:\Garmin\WorldMap.img after making a copy of the original file and placing it in the C:\Garmin folder.

Edited by flyjazz