The Contest Logging Thread

Please log your finds as you go along, including those that you will use to earn the Bonus (This way you get the regular scores for these benchmarks when they are found.). When you have found all the needed benchmarks for the bonus, please post a link to each of them in a single post to claim your bonus.

This is the needed format for your Links to your found benchmarks.

PID#, Special Finds, Bonus (only when you list all 9 benchmarks) as in GP0124, ERR. (The last log for this one is in error as to which benchmark they actually found.)

Benchmark PID#, Which special find it qualifies for, Bonus (only when you list all required benchmarks)

Special finds are:

REG=regular finds

DNF=did not find

DES=destroyed

ERR=wrongly logged

If you need clarification, please ask your questions in this thread and use this one only for logging your finds.

The contest officially starts at sunrise tomorrow morning.

Good luck, and good times,

John & Shirley

Well, this may be my only post for a while as this benchmark hunting in the snow is not working for me, and we are getting more snow today. Most the marks I went looking for were burried and scaled, a bad combo, so most of these finds are standpipes and water towers. Photos of GPS and these towers did not work.

NB2030 - REG

NB2076 - REG

OF2396 - REG

OF2453 - REG

OF2475 - REG

NB2100 - REG

OF2392 - REG or DNF?

OF2392 is a mark I couldn't find in some really tall grass this fall. I drove by the site today on the way to a geocache and saw a stake and pink tape poking out. Looks like a surveyor must have dug it out recently. So in a way, I didn't even find it, someone else did! :blink:

I am happy with REG credit for it, as calling it a DNF recovery brings about some ethics of finding your own DNFs. But I certainly wouldn't turn down DNF points if they are offered by the judges.

If this snow keeps up, next weekend I'll have to find church steeples!

Looking through some of the logs to date, I am looking for a clarification about "wrongly logged benchmarks."

Unless the last log includes a picture, I do not see how any of us can know if the last log is in error or not. IMHO, an email to the previous logger to see if they found the right mark is insufficient evidence.

Thoughts?

Looking through some of the logs to date, I am looking for a clarification about "wrongly logged benchmarks."

Unless the last log includes a picture, I do not see how any of us can know if the last log is in error or not. IMHO, an email to the previous logger to see if they found the right mark is insufficient evidence.

Thoughts?

I assume you might be referring to my logging above of MC1002. While normally I might agree with you, in this particular case it was very easy and positive to identify that the last log was in error. The benchmark that has been logged in error many times has over 1/2 of it physically missing. Very distinctive. Photos of both benchmarks (both the correct one and the nearby wrong one) are in the logs for MC1002 by various posters. An email to the last logger with the question of what the benchmark that he logged looked like, which confirmed that he found the benchmark that is half-missing and thus the wrong one, confirms the error in logging.

If there was ANY doubt in my mind, I would not have claimed the ERR points. However, if 2oldfarts wishes to change it from an ERR to a REG, fine with me.

I responded on my decision HERE so this thread could be kept for logging finds only.

Please use that thread for questions that you wish to get answered or PM us directly.

John