what to do

chuckster26

hello all...

i had a boo-boo with my gps. i think i stepped on it and broke the lcd screen of my expl. 210!

i have a quarter size blob of i dont know what on my screen. i called magellan in the states and it's not covered under warranty. it would be $69 - plus tax - plus shipping - to get fixed. then i told her i was in canada she gave me a number to bill's electronics????? what should i do? send it somewhere? buy a new one?

aaaack!

help!

Edited by chuckster26

hello all...

i had a boo-boo with my gps. i think i stepped on it and broke the lcd screen of my expl. 210!

i have a quarter size blob of i dont know what on my screen. i called magellan in the states and it's not covered under warranty. it would be $69 - plus tax - plus shipping - to get fixed. then i told her i was in canada she gave me a number to bill's electronics????? what should i do? send it somewhere? buy a new one?

aaaack!

help!

Bill's Electronics is where you send it for warranty repair in Canada. The service is excellent and fast.

The display on my eX200 got busted about a year ago and that's where I sent it. It was fixed under warranty though. I called Magellan and explained what happened, although I didn't tell them HOW it happened because I didn't really know. I suspect it got knocked on something when my kids had it, but neither of them said they knocked it. It had a big blob on the display that got progressively worse.

I called the number Magellan gave me and I got an answering machine giving me the address to mail it to. I did and got it back about a week later.

Scott

i'll be sending out my gps on monday.

thing is, my gps was bought at christmas and i have misplaced

my bill.... i wonder if it will matter with bill.... hopefully he's a really nice guy :)

would anyone have a ballpark idea on what it costs to replace an lcd screen??

will it be more than buying a new gps alltogether?

i'll be sending out my gps on monday.

thing is, my gps was bought at christmas and i have misplaced

my bill.... i wonder if it will matter with bill.... hopefully he's a really nice guy :ph34r:

would anyone have a ballpark idea on what it costs to replace an lcd screen??

will it be more than buying a new gps alltogether?

Good question. When I sent him mine, I either got a new one or a reconditioned one in return. The case looked new and had a different serial number.

You might be best to contact him first, before sending it.

Scott

A free swap or do you have to pay something?

Scott

nope. $85 plus taxes and shipping.

the total was $111.30.

or $200 plus shipping and taxes for a used exp. 400..

so i got the 210

a little more i could have gotten a new one at gpscity..

oh well..

Edited by chuckster26

I got my gps back on friday.

the lcd screen was changed on my gps. it was not a refurbished one.

when i powered it up, it had all my track logs, POI, caches....

Bill did a great job. Im glad i got my gps back. i dont cache alot but

think of my gps like my cell... and was lost without it.

Nice! Bill doesn't disappoint from what I've heard.

I suspect he'll be here on March 31st.

I suspect that a lot of Geocachers have never been to, nor heard of, Amateur Radio Hamfests. One does NOT have to be a licensed radio amateur to attend. It starts early and is usually winding down about 11AM. What you'll find there is an ocean of electronic junk (and some good stuff too) in a room crowded with the typical unwashed masses. :D If you're an electronics experimenter or vintage technology junkie I suspect you'll find something of interest there. Also, if you've ever considered getting into Amateur Radio its a good place to find out more about the hobby. Many cachers are hams too.

Cheers!

C-A