GPS on Airplane?

Need some FAST advice. Flying to AZ in 6 hours and need to know if anyone has traveled with their GPS and what they did with it. I don't want to put it in the luggage, but also don't want the TSA folks grabbing me like Michael Vick and taking my Explorist 500 if I try to carry-on.

Suggestions?

Need some FAST advice. Flying to AZ in 6 hours and need to know if anyone has traveled with their GPS and what they did with it. I don't want to put it in the luggage, but also don't want the TSA folks grabbing me like Michael Vick and taking my Explorist 500 if I try to carry-on.

Suggestions?

Yup, I traveled with mine last week on AA and carried it on with no problems. I did notice that AA now specifically mentions GPS's as a device unapproved for use in flight. This was not the case 6-8 months ago.

GO$Rs

Suggestions?

Traveled with mine last week. Carried it on in my laptop case on my outbound flight. No problems or questions by TSA.

Put it in my suitcase on my return flight.

Check the in-flight mag for a list of approved portable electronic devices. IF the airlines says they are okay, and you can get a window seat to get signal, it is pretty cool to watch your speed, altitude and position in flight. Fellow passengers think you are a geek, but its ok. They get interested too.

Like your laptop, you can only use it (if the airline permits it) above 10,000 feet. When they announce its ok to use APE devices you can switch it on. When they tell you to turn off you laptops and gameboys, the GPS needs to go off too.

I travel frequently, and use my GPSr in flight when I have a window seat. Throws off the "average" and "maximum" speeds, but hey, it's fun to be going at 520mph. I've never had a problem on NWA, though I have been asked once or twice what it was. The only other (hopefully obvious) caveat is that if you're asked to turn it off, then turn it off and put it away.

One thing to keep in mind though, while the airlines magazine may annotate that a gps can be used, you can still have an encounter with a flight attendant that will not allow you to use it. I have had this happen a couple of times, though I fly frequently, so ultimately it shouldn't happen that often.

Definitely check the airline's website. There could be different information shown on the website versus what their inflight magazine shows.

Then print out the respective page and show it to the cabin attendant. I did this a few months ago for a Delta flight from Atlanta to Seattle. The inflight magazine said no to gps; the website said yes. I showed her the printout from the website. She was fine on that.

I had my 60Cx on my knee next to the window all the way home.

Remember, these units can get a signal only when right next to the window. The aluminum tube (fusalage) will block gps satellites, but the windows are fine.

I don't want to put it in the luggage, but also don't want the TSA folks grabbing me like Michael Vick and taking my Explorist 500 if I try to carry-on.

If you get stuck with the dreaded SSSS in the corner of your ticket, they may pull it out and swipe it with the explosive detection stuff. (Along with just about anything else electronic). Other than that, TSA isn't going to have a problem. (Well, anymore than they may on a given day decide to be a pain.)

I got my first GPS before they were popular. SA was on and no geocaching. I asked a stewardess if she would ask the captain if I could use my GPS. She came back and said it was OK. The navigator came back later and asked me how high and how fast my GPS said we were flying.

Over Christmas vacation, I used my 60csx on a flight and it was extremely annoying because I couldn't shut off the barometric altimeter. My cabin was pressurized to 4000 feet in case you are interested.