First to Find Statistics

Haggis Hunter

There are a lot of cachers who enjoy getting the FTF on caches. At the present moment there doesn't appear to be any way that you can look up the caches that you have had as a FTF.

What would be nice to see is a list of the caches that you logged either first or on the same date as the FTF. I think the latter would be better as you do get people logging before you.

It is only a small request but one I think many people will enjoy. It could be listed along with the caches link on your account page?

i would not enjoy that feature. if i wanted to know that number, i'd go back and count.

So you would go back to your 1655 logs and see if you were first...I would rather have the option and go caching instead.

As for figuring it out. That is a differnt story. I was the 3 or 4 on a cache the other day but have a blackberry so was the first to log the find. So how would the system know that?

Edited by Atwell Family

oh, i have many more than 1655 logs. never confuse find count with logs. but yes, if i wanted to know, i'd count. i started to do that one day. i got as far as 40-some and decided i didn't want to know how many.

but i also wonder how it would get tracked; i'm so far behind in my logging that i nearly never log a cache in the same month i found it. backdating the log puts me on the correct day, but i nearly always get listed as the last log of the day.

i nearly never mention that it's a first find in my log, so that wouldn't serve as a flag.

and parenthetically, it drives me honkin' nuts every time one of those chumps signs the log and declares themselves first finder. i always want to say "really? gosh, i couldn't tell, what with your signature being on the first page of the book and all".

it sems to me like a great "duh".

There are a lot of cachers who enjoy getting the FTF on caches. At the present moment there doesn't appear to be any way that you can look up the caches that you have had as a FTF.

What would be nice to see is a list of the caches that you logged either first or on the same date as the FTF. I think the latter would be better as you do get people logging before you.

It is only a small request but one I think many people will enjoy. It could be listed along with the caches link on your account page?

I'd love to see this feature, not because I track it, however I know many others do.

Unfortunately, there is no way to reliably do it in the system. If someone enters a log in before the FTF gets to, or even 3 or four, the system has no way of knowing which it actually was.

As such, it is really easier for the individual to track on their own.

That does appear to be a good program. Being a person that has had a computer crash I am reluctant to put every bit of software that comes along onto my computer. There also has to be a limit of the amount of different software that you would want to use to.

Thanks all the same for the link though, that was good of you.

i would not enjoy that feature. if i wanted to know that number, i'd go back and count.

Let's see if you answer this point yourself???

oh, i have many more than 1655 logs. never confuse find count with logs. but yes, if i wanted to know, i'd count. i started to do that one day. i got as far as 40-some and decided i didn't want to know how many.

Yep there you go, and only just over an hour later as well. Well done.

So you would go back to your 1655 logs and see if you were first...I would rather have the option and go caching instead.

As for figuring it out. That is a differnt story. I was the 3 or 4 on a cache the other day but have a blackberry so was the first to log the find. So how would the system know that?

When you have been caching for a long time and never really thought about it at the beginning, it is difficult to go back. I only have 600 finds over 3+ years, and I tried it yesterday.

The reason I said it would be good to list all the logs on the same first day is because of people logging before you. It's not perfect but narrows the search down.

but i also wonder how it would get tracked; i'm so far behind in my logging that i nearly never log a cache in the same month i found it. backdating the log puts me on the correct day, but i nearly always get listed as the last log of the day.

i nearly never mention that it's a first find in my log, so that wouldn't serve as a flag.

and parenthetically, it drives me honkin' nuts every time one of those chumps signs the log and declares themselves first finder. i always want to say "really? gosh, i couldn't tell, what with your signature being on the first page of the book and all".

it sems to me like a great "duh".

Just because you cache differently to others doesn't mean you can be rude and insulting to those that like to record their FTF's?? :(

One of the really sad things about this hobby is the people who make it difficult for others to get something implemented. Why do others have to go off on a tangent and ridicule others just because they wouldn't use the feature?

I'd love to see this feature, not because I track it, however I know many others do.

Unfortunately, there is no way to reliably do it in the system. If someone enters a log in before the FTF gets to, or even 3 or four, the system has no way of knowing which it actually was.

As such, it is really easier for the individual to track on their own.

This is more of the type of reply you would expect. It is easier to track your own, if you done it from day one. Lot's of people don't then realise that maybe they should have. Even if it is just for their own enjoyment?

No practical way to track this on the site.

First to Log does not mean First to Find.

Often the 2nd or 3rd finders will mention something like "congrats to **** for the FTF" - so that text would not work well.

How do you propose the tracking would work??

(not that I favor this idea but needs to be answered....)

No practical way to track this on the site.

First to Log does not mean First to Find.

Often the 2nd or 3rd finders will mention something like "congrats to **** for the FTF" - so that text would not work well.

How do you propose the tracking would work??

(not that I favor this idea but needs to be answered....)

Sorry I am not a computer whiz kid, I am just requesting the feature. If it isn't possible due to technicalities then I need Groundspeak to say so.

I thought I had already answered this query twice? First in my opening statement and in my last log. But you would run it so that it listed all logs for the first date of a find. Not perfect but as close as you would get.

Or you could even implement a code that could be used, but that would require all cachers to use it, and I don't think that would work, so it is a non starter.

Just because you cache differently to others doesn't mean you can be rude and insulting to those that like to record their FTF's?? :(

One of the really sad things about this hobby is the people who make it difficult for others to get something implemented. Why do others have to go off on a tangent and ridicule others just because they wouldn't use the feature?

yer missin' my point. it is not about people who track their FTFs. it's about people who announce "FTF!!!" in the logbook.

of course it's FTF. yer signin' the first page. it's kind of like announcing to the world that you're breathing. it's from the department of redundant pleonasm.

anyway, i don't wish to see FTF tracking become a feature and it isn't quite as simple as not letting people have a thing that shouldn't bother me me. it does bother me because having it become part of the given stats means i get stuck with the blasted things, too. it's not that i simply won't use the feature; i want it to be unavailable. having that stat public would bother me to the extent that i would start falsifying logs and claiming to have found the cache days later than i did. i already don't log all the caches i find. granted, i'm a little more vehement than most stat opponents, but i will do anything i can to really gum up a system that uses these thngs.

i don't mean to ridicule proponents of this sort of stat tracking, but i do mean to argue against it. and i do mean to make it difficult if i can. just because you like a thing doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. and the argument that those of us who wouldn't like to see it implemented are just small people standing in the way of progress doesn't hold water.

Who has FTF is often kinda fuzzy too. FTFs as a team are handled differently between teams. Forcing a single FTF per cache would end up causing some angst between people. I like the fuzzy nature of the FTF as further proof that "FTFS don't really matter" and "play how you want". The "FTF button" on the page would have to be one that allowed more than one clicker! :(

However..I did use the stats program suggested to calculate my FTFs.. it provides a great starting point, searching through your logs for what you define as the "FTF!" phrase. You can then delete the program once it's done it's job.

I use Bookmarks... :(

And yes, it did take me several days of sorting through cache listings until I had the complete list. I did make a mistake at first in making it both shared and public. Making it a public list puts it on the cache page. Oooppsss... <_<

I really keep it only for my benefit, but I do keep it shared in case anyone becomes curious.

And yes, it did take me several days of sorting through cache listings until I had the complete list. I did make a mistake at first in making it both shared and public. Making it a public list puts it on the cache page. Oooppsss... <_<

I really keep it only for my benefit, but I do keep it shared in case anyone becomes curious.

thank you for not being one of those people who put it on the cache page. those folks drive me honkin' NUTS. i hate seeing "joe-bob's FTF list" on the cache page. i might like joe-bob and even admire his FTFs but i don't know why he thinks anyone but him wants it on the cache page for eveyone to have to see.

(it suddenly occurs to me that there might be a user called joe-bob)

that said, i don't deny his right to do it. i just think it's tacky.

yer missin' my point. it is not about people who track their FTFs. it's about people who announce "FTF!!!" in the logbook.

of course it's FTF. yer signin' the first page. it's kind of like announcing to the world that you're breathing. it's from the department of redundant pleonasm.

anyway, i don't wish to see FTF tracking become a feature and it isn't quite as simple as not letting people have a thing that shouldn't bother me me. it does bother me because having it become part of the given stats means i get stuck with the blasted things, too. it's not that i simply won't use the feature; i want it to be unavailable. having that stat public would bother me to the extent that i would start falsifying logs and claiming to have found the cache days later than i did. i already don't log all the caches i find. granted, i'm a little more vehement than most stat opponents, but i will do anything i can to really gum up a system that uses these thngs.

i don't mean to ridicule proponents of this sort of stat tracking, but i do mean to argue against it. and i do mean to make it difficult if i can. just because you like a thing doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. and the argument that those of us who wouldn't like to see it implemented are just small people standing in the way of progress doesn't hold water.

I didn't miss your point, but it certainly looks as though you have missed mine??

Archive, Didn't find it, Enable Listing, Needs Archived, Needs Maintenance, Owner Maintenance, Temporarily Disable Listing, Will Attend, Write note.

These are all of the types of log that you have listed for your account, but none of these allows another user to access the complete list like yourself. What I am asking for is something the same but for logs that you have made on the same day as the cache was first found.

It doesn't matter how you cache, no one else will be able to see your complete list, just like the logs which I have highlighted above.

Please if you are going to quote me do it correctly. I haven't called any along the lines of small people. You however have called people chumps and the word Duh infers idiots to me??

I use Bookmarks... <_<

And yes, it did take me several days of sorting through cache listings until I had the complete list. I did make a mistake at first in making it both shared and public. Making it a public list puts it on the cache page. Oooppsss... :(

It was seeing someone else's bookmark that made me want to make my own. I do want it for myself, but like yourself I am also curious to others if they wish to share.

thank you for not being one of those people who put it on the cache page. those folks drive me honkin' NUTS. i hate seeing "joe-bob's FTF list" on the cache page. i might like joe-bob and even admire his FTFs but i don't know why he thinks anyone but him wants it on the cache page for eveyone to have to see.

(it suddenly occurs to me that there might be a user called joe-bob)

that said, i don't deny his right to do it. i just think it's tacky.

I don't understand your negative way of thinking. You have said you don't like it, why not just drop it now as if it were (unlikely I know) to get implemented it wouldn't make any difference to your day anyway? Also going by your comments it certainly wouldn't make any difference to your incoherent way of logging. Which for the record I find pointless, but if that is the way you want to cache, what harm is it doing?

I didn't miss your point, but it certainly looks as though you have missed mine??

Archive, Didn't find it, Enable Listing, Needs Archived, Needs Maintenance, Owner Maintenance, Temporarily Disable Listing, Will Attend, Write note.

These are all of the types of log that you have listed for your account, but none of these allows another user to access the complete list like yourself. What I am asking for is something the same but for logs that you have made on the same day as the cache was first found.

It doesn't matter how you cache, no one else will be able to see your complete list, just like the logs which I have highlighted above.

Please if you are going to quote me do it correctly. I haven't called any along the lines of small people. You however have called people chumps and the word Duh infers idiots to me??

i don't think i am missing your point. i'm against any feature that allows easy access to FTF information for anyone. i might could support a feature that makes it availbale to players for their own logs only.

i think i rather inferred small people (and that in kind of an anticipatory hyperbolic mode) because i thought i understood you to say that it was sad that some people make it difficult for others to get what are reasonable requests filled. often the shade of meaning in one such argument is that people who obstruct such a thing do so just to be obstructionist rather than out of any reasonable concern.

it's a debate that's been raging on here for a while.

and while i think the practice of going on about being the FTF in the logbook is an idiotic practice, i would not characterize most of the people who do it as idiots. i am very fond of some people who to my everlasting annoyance do this regularly. sometimes there are behaviors that when you see them, they make you cringe.

annoyance notwithstanding, i can and do separate the people from the problem.

i'm not sure what exactly about me it is that drives them nuts, but i'm assuming there are some. they love me anyway.

i think i rather inferred small people (and that in kind of an anticipatory hyperbolic mode) because i thought i understood you to say that it was sad that some people make it difficult for others to get what are reasonable requests filled. often the shade of meaning in one such argument is that people who obstruct such a thing do so just to be obstructionist rather than out of any reasonable concern.

History is filled with people that try and keep other people from getting what they want, for whatever reason. It doesn't matter if the second group wants to: see FTF stats. hide lamp post caches, open a boiled egg by the small end, be gay, worship a different god, whatever.

There's always going to be someone that comes along and says, "I don't want you to have something that you'll really enjoy because it will cause me slight or no discomfort."

History is filled with people that try and keep other people from getting what they want, for whatever reason. It doesn't matter if the second group wants to: see FTF stats. hide lamp post caches, open a boiled egg by the small end, be gay, worship a different god, whatever.

There's always going to be someone that comes along and says, "I don't want you to have something that you'll really enjoy because it will cause me slight or no discomfort."

You are not wrong there. :(

Right on Mushtang. The count is approximately 4 to 1 but the 1 is making all the noise.

Now make it 5 to one. Really, what is the harm? (Please, please note that this is a rhetorical question!)

Doesn't matter if it was 10,000 to 1. The only "one" who matters is the guy running this website. Since historically he's been against competing, and there is no practical way to track all the prior FTFs already logged, I would say it's probably not gonna happen no matter what the for-against ratio is here.

see, it WOULD affect me. it would make my FTFs (which are numerous and hard-won) public. as it stands now, my list is not a matter of public record.

i'm pretty toasty with things the way they are and every time the question comes up i need to remind people that it isn't a simple thing that everyone would enjoy.

Right on Mushtang. The count is approximately 4 to 1 but the 1 is making all the noise.

Now make it 5 to one. Really, what is the harm? (Please, please note that this is a rhetorical question!)

Doesn't matter if it was 10,000 to 1. The only "one" who matters is the guy running this website. Since historically he's been against competing, and there is no practical way to track all the prior FTFs already logged, I would say it's probably not gonna happen no matter what the for-against ratio is here.

My suggestion isn't for everyone to see, so there would be no competition factor to it. You need to be able to see others stats to be competetive!

You are quite correct that the only person that matters is Jeremy, and I await is position on this with anticipation?

Apparently GC Australia runs a First Day Found, that as I have already said would probably be the best option? As I have said I am no whiz kid, but I would have thought if such a feature got implemented it would pick up on your previous First Day Found logs?

see, it WOULD affect me. it would make my FTFs (which are numerous and hard-won) public. as it stands now, my list is not a matter of public record.

i'm pretty toasty with things the way they are and every time the question comes up i need to remind people that it isn't a simple thing that everyone would enjoy.

No No No!!!! Like I have already said, like certain types of logs, you can view a list that only you have access to, this is all I am asking for. Not for a list that can be seen publicly. Based on your argument my suggestion would not make any difference to the way that you cache, or divulge any information to others.

I'm afraid that your argument is solely based on selflishness. :laughing::P:laughing:

Ditto on the negative side. For a number of reasons. Technically, it's terribly difficult to determine first to find, and in a group it can be shared. Caches can be found before they're published here, and the first finder post publication here may well find a signed log....is that person still "first to find"? Some people think yes, others (the more literal ninnies, like myself) think no.

And personally, I'm not looking for anymore statistics (mine) to be public. I keep a first find list, not even a bookmarked list, just a list of caches where my sig was on a blank log. I rarely claim it in a log, or mention it, though ocassionally I'll mention that I'm NOT first to find, if I'm first to log online.

Ditto on the negative side. For a number of reasons. Technically, it's terribly difficult to determine first to find, and in a group it can be shared. Caches can be found before they're published here, and the first finder post publication here may well find a signed log....is that person still "first to find"? Some people think yes, others (the more literal ninnies, like myself) think no.

And personally, I'm not looking for anymore statistics (mine) to be public. I keep a first find list, not even a bookmarked list, just a list of caches where my sig was on a blank log. I rarely claim it in a log, or mention it, though ocassionally I'll mention that I'm NOT first to find, if I'm first to log online.

I'm becoming repetitive here, I'm becoming repetitive here :laughing::P

I recognised the fact it is difficult to distinguish a FTF in my initial post and a couple of other posts. That is why I have suggested that it is done as the first day to log.

I am extremely bemused to how people have came up with their stats being made public. I have said more than once, that is not part of MY request, but appears to be the main argument against!!!

It looks to me as though people see into a request what they want or DON'T want and will argue against it even if the argument has nothing to do with the actual request. Which so far is the case here.

I'm afraid that your argument is solely based on selflishness. :laughing::P:laughing:

your arguments are all based on selfishness as well. there is nothing intrinsically philanthropic about this feature. in fact, it might be argued that the whole point of a feature like this is to document your victories over other people.

what if i try to make a case that it is kinder and more charitable not to lord my many victories over other cachers? i could just as well make the case that my version is more noble.

i'm not going to make the attempt, though, because i am well aware that when i am declaring what i want, it is just that: what i want. apparently you believe that what you want is somehow based on community-spiritedness.

i have also stated once or twice above that i've be in favor of the system provided that none of it is public. however, whenever someone brings up this or a similar feature i think it is important to be very clear that a public list would be unacceptable.

Flask read my first post in this topic, and then tell me I am being selfish. In fact don't bother!!

As for going on about it being public, obviously you are reading what you want to read?

I HAVEN'T SAID I WANT IT TO BE A PUBLIC LIST!!!!!!!!

edit to change wording

Edited by Haggis Hunter

My momma always told me if I have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all. To bad other folks don't follow that mantra.

Theres always the thread troll who must push his/her views and opinions on others no matter if its worth listening to or not, they just seem to like typing since they are bored or something. :laughing:

Its not like the feature is "needed". Its just a "feature" like many other gizmos that are part of GC. Cachestats works like a champ, is easy to use, and if you want to display your numbers, put it in your profile. No counting needed as long as you include in your found it post the keyword FTF. That way the thread trolls can go find something else to put down. :P

Don't bother quoting me to pick me apart or tell me I should shut it. It will only be for your ego stroking since I've tryed to be helpful and have no need to read the thread again.

Good Luck on your FTF quests!! :laughing:

The maximum font size for this thread is hereby capped at "4."

The gentleman fond of uppercase letters and the lady who eschews the shift key need to recognize that they have contrasting opinions on matters other than capitalization, and then choose either to live harmoniously within the thread or to take their discussion to private messages. Thanks.

The maximum font size for this thread is hereby capped at "4."

The gentleman fond of uppercase letters and the lady who eschews the shift key need to recognize that they have contrasting opinions on matters other than capitalization, and then choose either to live harmoniously within the thread or to take their discussion to private messages. Thanks.

My apologies. My capitalisation and font size was merely to highlight that I have never asked for the list to be a public one. I do hope that I have not offended anyone, and that does include flask!

Read rhetorical question!

My point was not the numbers for or against. My point is somebody who has made their contrary point continuing to express that opinion, ad infinitum. By using numbers I was trying to show this person that more opinions than theirs exist. They don't agree - cool make your point and move on. As I will now.

SO what you are asking for is on the page that only the account holder can see is something like this

My Geocaching Logs (All)

627 Results:

Show: Archive, Attended, Didn't find it, Enable Listing, Found it, Needs Archived, Needs Maintenance, Owner Maintenance, Temporarily Disable Listing, Update Coordinates, Will Attend, Write note, All Logs, Logged on same day as first log

Better than all these public bookmark lists :P

My apologies. My capitalisation and font size was merely to highlight that I have never asked for the list to be a public one. I do hope that I have not offended anyone, and that does include flask!

Of course and likewise. I adore a good heated debate and actually prefer to have them over smaller, manageable issues than ones where it really matters.

(Look! Some uppercse letters!)

SO what you are asking for is on the page that only the account holder can see is something like this

My Geocaching Logs (All)

627 Results:

Show: Archive, Attended, Didn't find it, Enable Listing, Found it, Needs Archived, Needs Maintenance, Owner Maintenance, Temporarily Disable Listing, Update Coordinates, Will Attend, Write note, All Logs, Logged on same day as first log

Better than all these public bookmark lists :P

Precisely. :laughing:

Already been discussed. Ftf Stat: Adding FTF stat to profile

"We largely frown on making the site enforce a form of competition among the users. Yes, we're well aware people are big on the whole first to find thing, but we're not here to enforce who is first and who isn't (and whatever quarreling will occur soon after)." Jeremy Irish

Jeremy has always stated that this is not a competition, so I highly doubt he would implement a system for showing who was FTF on a cache page. BTW, I zealously keep track of my FTFs, and have done it since the beginning. I don't need this website to do it for me.

I think it would be impossible to implement because I've personally found a few caches that had zero online logs, but had finds in the logbook, written by cachers that don't log online. They have better things to worry about like re-writing the old hobby code, to prevent more Server is busy issues.

Kit Fox your link and basis of argument is that it would promote competition.

First of all I will reiterate, that we have already established that it would have to be a log that was made on the first day, not an actual FTF log. As is shown in your example link.

Secondly it has already been pointed out that the list will be for personal use only, markandlynn and myself have gave good examples of what it could be. This list would be no different to your DNF or SBA etc. lists that are available to you with 2 clicks of your mouse. No one else can get access to those lists, as is what I am asking for here.

Now it wouldn't be perfect, but even people who are against this idea have said they gave up looking for their FTF logs as it took so long. I started looking back through mine about 2 days before I started this thread, I have only just completed it. Even now I don't think I have found all of them, and I decided to use the program that was recommended at the beginning of this thread.

I think in total I have logged caches on the same day as a FTF about 50 times (not totally sure of that figure). It has taken me several hours over 4/5 days to compile my private list. I think it would have taken me just over 30 minutes if I had a private list showing those 50 or so caches.

Now I agree totally that geocaching is not a competition, but I am going to play a little bit of a Devils Advocate.

Let's pretend that it was a competition. For anything to be a competition the results have to be transparent and freely available. I would hope that everyone would agree on that?

So for us the main details that we would require would be the full details of a person finds, probably by category and how many TB's they have moved or handled, probably by type as well.

Hang On!! We already have this facility (and long may it remain)!!

So my point is, even although the argument of competition doesn't apply to this request (for reasons explained all through the thread) if it did the actual argument is a non starter, because we already have the main requirements for it to be a competition. So far the site hasn't fell into disarray because of this!

Because this feature would be private, it would make no difference to those that were against it as they could just simply ignore the feature, but it would make a great difference to those that like to take a look down memory lane (which I presume is the reason for your history in your profile?) without hours and days of sitting at a computer and then making a bookmark list that will be displayed on the caches, just so that they don't have to do it again. I really don't think I am asking for much, and would request Jeremy's view on this.

No, that is the opinion of the website owner. It's his decision to choose not to change his website in any way to deal with FTFs.

First of all I will reiterate, that we have already established that it would have to be a log that was made on the first day, not an actual FTF log. As is shown in your example link.

Secondly it has already been pointed out that the list will be for personal use only, markandlynn and myself have gave good examples of what it could be. This list would be no different to your DNF or SBA etc. lists that are available to you with 2 clicks of your mouse. No one else can get access to those lists, as is what I am asking for here.

Create a bookmark for each of your FTFs. Bookmark each new FTF as you aquire them, problem solved

Now I agree totally that geocaching is not a competition, but I am going to play a little bit of a Devils Advocate.

Let's pretend that it was a competition. For anything to be a competition the results have to be transparent and freely available. I would hope that everyone would agree on that?

So for us the main details that we would require would be the full details of a person finds, probably by category and how many TB's they have moved or handled, probably by type as well.

Hang On!! We already have this facility (and long may it remain)!!

So my point is, even although the argument of competition doesn't apply to this request (for reasons explained all through the thread) if it did the actual argument is a non starter, because we already have the main requirements for it to be a competition. So far the site hasn't fell into disarray because of this!

Because this feature would be private, it would make no difference to those that were against it as they could just simply ignore the feature, but it would make a great difference to those that like to take a look down memory lane (which I presume is the reason for your history in your profile?) without hours and days of sitting at a computer and then making a bookmark list that will be displayed on the caches, just so that they don't have to do it again. I really don't think I am asking for much, and would request Jeremy's view on this.

I understand your reasoning, and I have no issue with it. The only problem is that it is contrary to the website owner's vision of this hobby.

No, that is the opinion of the website owner. It's his decision to choose not to change his website in any way to deal with FTFs.

I am not arguing with Jeremy's opinion. What I am saying is that you have quoted Jeremy's opinion on competition, I'm not asking for that. I'm off to look for a brick wall to bang my head against now. :anibad:

Create a bookmark for each of your FTFs. Bookmark each new FTF as you aquire them, problem solved

You would have to have done this from day one, and bookmark lists show up on cache pages, which not everyone likes to see, and you have to be a premium member to make such a list. I may have got it sorted for myself, but only after a lot of work. I am now fighting so that others who want the same info available can have it.

With nearly every suggestion on here people come up with a round about way of doing things. Most ways work, but if you wanted to do everything, you would never be out caching as you would be carrying out all the round about ways to find out your info. Not the best way to promote a site and hobby I am sure?

First of all I will reiterate, that we have already established that it would have to be a log that was made on the first day, not an actual FTF log.

So what real use would a "First To Log" stat be? I would venture to say half the FTLs are not the FTF. A FTL stat would be meaningless to people who are tracking their FTFs.

You would have to have done this from day one, and bookmark lists show up on cache pages, which not everyone likes to see, and you have to be a premium member to make such a list. I may have got it sorted for myself, but only after a lot of work. I am now fighting so that others who want the same info available can have it.

Creating a list manually after 7yrs of geocaching without such stats would be the only way it could accurately be done anyway. I suspect searching them out could be semi-automated locally using your all finds PQ and a GSAK macro.

Bookmark lists don't HAVE to be public. You keep saying you want that stat for your own private use. Keep the bookmark private and you won't be (to quote someone in another thread) "defiling other people's cache pages with your scarlet letter".

So what if you need to be a premium member to make a bookmark list? I would suspect if TPTB ever DID offer a totally frivolous feature like FTF stats they would make it a premium feature anyway.

With nearly every suggestion on here people come up with a round about way of doing things. Most ways work, but if you wanted to do everything, you would never be out caching as you would be carrying out all the round about ways to find out your info. Not the best way to promote a site and hobby I am sure?

People offer up suggestions on how to get what you want out of geocaching yourself. If you REALLY want your computer to do EVERYTHING for you, why even bother going out to find the cache? I'm sure they could automate things so that you could sit at home and "find" caches from your computer without ever leaving your house.

Oh wait, some people already do that. :anibad:

I think TPTB are doing a great job of promoting an activity to get off your fat butt and go out hiking in the woods instead of sitting in front of your PC all day making up new stat numbers to crunch and compare.

First of all I will reiterate, that we have already established that it would have to be a log that was made on the first day, not an actual FTF log.

So what real use would a "First To Log" stat be? I would venture to say half the FTLs are not the FTF. A FTL stat would be meaningless to people who are tracking their FTFs.

Already answered several times in this thread.

Creating a list manually after 7yrs of geocaching without such stats would be the only way it could accurately be done anyway. I suspect searching them out could be semi-automated locally using your all finds PQ and a GSAK macro.

Bookmark lists don't HAVE to be public. You keep saying you want that stat for your own private use. Keep the bookmark private and you won't be (to quote someone in another thread) "defiling other people's cache pages with your scarlet letter".

So what if you need to be a premium member to make a bookmark list? I would suspect if TPTB ever DID offer a totally frivolous feature like FTF stats they would make it a premium feature anyway.

Can you explain more why it would have to be done manually, why can't a script (or whatever they are called) be made to recognise the caches you have logged on the first day it was found?

Fair point on the bookmark list, but this does have to be made manually.

Surely it is up to Jeremy to decide who gets access to what features, not for anyone to to presume who gets it?

People offer up suggestions on how to get what you want out of geocaching yourself. If you REALLY want your computer to do EVERYTHING for you, why even bother going out to find the cache? I'm sure they could automate things so that you could sit at home and "find" caches from your computer without ever leaving your house.

Oh wait, some people already do that. :anibad:

I think TPTB are doing a great job of promoting an activity to get off your fat butt and go out hiking in the woods instead of sitting in front of your PC all day making up new stat numbers to crunch and compare.

Some suggestions are good, but you end up with an endless list of different ways to do things off of the site. I thought I had made that clear, obviously not!

I am guilty of doing the odd armchair cache, and I have a bookmark list which shows the ones I am aware of. I do however prefer to get out and about, which is why I do this hobby.

My fat butt is actually extremely thin, and I can shift it at a good pace when I want it to. I would love to get out and enjoy this hobby more, but sadly I have a work and a personal life that tends to get in the way. Perhaps I need my good wife to ditch me and to win the lottery so that I can just keep my butt as thin as it already is.

Then again, I love my wife even if she doesn't love my hobby.

I also think that Groundspeak do a fantastic job, if I never I wouldn't voluntarily pay for my membership. but there is more to this for some people other than getting out and about. Like myself I have said I can't always get out, so I enjoy using the online features that Groundspeak provide.

I really feel as though I am going round in circles here so I am going to sit back and see what Jeremy says.

I am not arguing with Jeremy's opinion. What I am saying is that you have quoted Jeremy's opinion on competition, I'm not asking for that. I'm off to look for a brick wall to bang my head against now. :anibad:

Jeremy already declined this feature in the other thread, which requested the same thing you did.

(see his post)

"We largely frown on making the site enforce a form of competition among the users. Yes, we're well aware people are big on the whole first to find thing, but we're not here to enforce who is first and who isn't (and whatever quarreling will occur soon after)." Jeremy Irish

Can you explain more why it would have to be done manually, why can't a script (or whatever they are called) be made to recognise the caches you have logged on the first day it was found?

Fair point on the bookmark list, but this does have to be made manually.

Surely it is up to Jeremy to decide who gets access to what features, not for anyone to to presume who gets it?

"First to log" means diddly squat to most people, "first to find" (which means first to sign the physical logbook) is very important to many cachers. Do you want recognition because you were the first person to log your online find on GC.com, or do you want recognition for the caches that you signed the logbook first?

Logging your find "online first" is a useless stat, because many cachers don't log their finds on the same day that they found the cache.

Please

Kit Fox re-read the whole thread, then you shall see that you are making comments that I have answered and explained in full. I think you are trolling just like flask was, therefore unless you come up with something different, it isn't worth replying to you any more!!

Trolling? :anibad: Thats a first for me.

I offered you two links where the website owner clearly mentioned his distaste for competition, and the "FTF Game." You didn't like his answer, so you went in circles trying to argue your point. I tried to tell you in a polite manner that your roundabout argument wouldn't lead to any cache page changes. If you want to highlight your FTF or your "First to log on the webpage," figure it out on your own. Once again, I suggest the bookmark feature. :anibad:

Kit Fox re-read the whole thread, then you shall see that you are making comments that I have answered and explained in full. I think you are trolling just like flask was, therefore unless you come up with something different, it isn't worth replying to you any more!!

I offered you two links where the website owner clearly mentioned his distaste for competition, and the "FTF Game." You didn't like his answer, so you went in circles trying to argue your point. I tried to tell you in a polite manner that your roundabout argument wouldn't lead to any cache page changes. If you want to highlight your FTF or your "First to log on the webpage," figure it out on your own. Once again, I suggest the bookmark feature. :anibad:

I felt that you were being unjustly argumentative to keep me saying the same thing over and over. To me that is just the same as trolling! Even in your explanation here you still bring up the word competition, despite myself saying several times that is not what I want!!

It's obvious that you can't figure it out for yourself that I am not asking for what you are being argumentative about???

Jeremy I would be extremely grateful if you could give your view on this request. Rather than other members giving us what they believe to be your view on this request!! Which I believe is a misquoted view, until you say otherwise.

Personally I would be opposed to any time wasted on a feature that we already know is going to have the wrong answer. The point of this request is to have a FTF list, which for reasons already stated can only be done by hand. So the next best thing is to have a "found on the same day as published" list which seems goofy, to me at least.

I'm more interested in my "first to be beaten list". Please add stats to the site where I found the cache the same day as it was found, but I wasn't the first one to log online. Thanks.

I felt that you were being unjustly argumentative to keep me saying the same thing over and over. To me that is just the same as trolling! Even in your explanation here you still bring up the word competition, despite myself saying several times that is not what I want!!

It's obvious that you can't figure it out for yourself that I am not asking for what you are being argumentative about???

Jeremy I would be extremely grateful if you could give your view on this request. Rather than other members giving us what they believe to be your view on this request!! Which I believe is a misquoted view, until you say otherwise.

Wow, who's making WHO repeat themselves here? Kit's already given you direct links to Jeremy's view from his own fingers on this subject, not someone's misquoted view. Did you bother to read them?

killmesm0.jpg

Haggis Hunter

You allready use cashestats on your profile page which keeps track of ftf's(only if you put FTF in your log) so why have Groundspeak mess with it. you are allready keeping track yourself!

If you read back you will see that I have taken several days to put that list together, it still isn't accurate and I have already mentioned it.

As for the rest............You know what I really don't give a toss. :anibad: I am actually quite peeved off at repeating myself, especially with the competition argument. Many thanks must go to Groundspeak for at least coming forward with some sort of interim answer. Ooops there I go again, you haven't. It really is poor customer service allowing your customers to reiterate your comments for you. Especially when those comments are misquoted.

Why don't one of the mods just close this, as I really can't be bothered with your lack of service!!! A couple of minutes to post an answer would have been nice?

:blink::blink::P:anibad::wacko::blink::P