Is it still around?

My first cache is still active also. GCN55J

And my first find was archived so I placed a new cache in the same general area. I felt I had to give a little love back to the other cachers in the area. GC112F4

Edited by KA7CJH

The first cache I found was a year old and had been visied 50+ times.

My log:

August 17, 2003 by TheAlabamaRambler (2233 found)

The Mountie Cache was my first find, though it was a snap as I went to this school in the early seventies and my son goes to the new Shades Valley.

This spot was open back then already - great hide for newbies. Although I knew the roads I let my eTrex lead the way - took me right to it.

The cache has a hole in the bottom, so everything's somewhat wet - water standing in the container bottom and all zip-lock bags had been left open.

I dried everything as well as possible with paper towels, logged my visit, took nothing (although this cache is jammed full of goodies) and left a ceramic black bear from Tennessee.

Have fun.

The owner replaced the leaky container and it's still going strong, found 100 times since then, last on Feb 24th '07

Yes. After almost 6 years it's still there and still gets smileys :D Not only was it my first, it was also my FTF.

Sweet. My first find was also a FTF. You're the only other one I've heard of that can claim this. It's a devilish honor icon_smile_evil.gif

Unfortunately the one I found first was archived about a year ago <_<

My first find is still there, and I check on it occasionally as (with many people's first finds) it's nearby. In fact, today I noticed there were footprints in the snow up to it. I should check and see if someone found it in the past day or 2...

...4. I suppose it's possible, it's been freezing and barely snowing for the past 4 days <_<

Nope, it vanished long ago. Ah, the thrill of that first hunt. I was almost first to find, too, but it was easier then, with maybe a dozen cachers in the area. I kind of miss the days when there were only a handful of caches for miles around. Going to find a cache was more of an event then.

My log starts with a :(; I didn't know the smiley was added automatically.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I got my start geocaching in the New Orleans area several years ago, so nearly all of my early finds have vanished by now. Some died normal deaths, but many were destroyed by Katrina and Rita. My very first cache find was in City Park. Much of the park spent a month or so under several feet of water, and without the revenue generated by the golf courses, there has been little maintainance at the park in the year and a half since the hurricane. Anyway...here's a link to the (now archived) cache page.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...35-b477ceaa94f6

Nope, it vanished long ago. Ah, the thrill of that first hunt. I was almost first to find, too, but it was easier then, with maybe a dozen cachers in the area. I kind of miss the days when there were only a handful of caches for miles around. Going to find a cache was more of an event then.

My log starts with a <_<; I didn't know the smiley was added automatically.

Actually, being an ignorer of parking lot micros, my caching experience of driving several miles around town for a handful of finds is much that same as it was 4 years ago, when there were many fewer cachers and caches. :(

But my first find is long gone. It only lasted 2 months at most. But I did revisit the cache site within the last year, to log a really cool Terracaching.com locationless cache, which requires you to revisit your first find (whether still active or not).

...is your first cache find still active?

Nope. Kobetich Paperback Exchange is gone.

Our log...

:( December 26, 2005 by Blue Power Ranger (924 found)

This was our first find. We might be hooked. Lots of fun. At first we were way too far off the path.....lots of mud and muck. We took Blow Fly and Holiday Puzzles and left 1001 Ways to Be a Best Friend and Riddles, Riddles, Riddles.

"We might be hooked."... an understatement.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

Well, this was really our first find, but we were just tagging along with other geocachers at the time - so while we did the whole hunt and found the cache, we didn't have a GC account and we didnt sign the logbook. As a result we still have not registered this cache as an official find yet.

Our first attempt at finding a cache once we had our own GC account was here. We made it to ground zero of the final cache location, but came up empty handed and suffered our first of many DNFs.

Our first offical find is still up and going. The owners upgraded the container some time ago, but it never was muggled as far as we know. They just upgraded it in a regular maintenence cycle.

All three caches are still going strong.

:( yes my first find is still active it was only a film container kind of a bummer for a first find but oh well im still caching and enjoying every cache that i find back then didnt know anybody that cached but now i have a few cachaholics as friends so cache on

My first cache was placed by a cacher that was inactive BEFORE I started caching, four years ago.

What is nice is the the cache is still active and very well maintained, an ammo can only recently refreshed again as before over the years.

It is a tough hide/find, so it does not get a lot of traffic but the owner is on top of it!

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

The first cache I found--Port Fulton--is gone, along with the tree where it was hidden. There is a replacement cache in another spot in the same park, though.

In fact, 9 of the first 20 I first looked for are different than when I first hunted for them (moved, replaced, different owner etc). Funny thing is, there is no pattern to what is gone and what remains; some really great ones are history, some fairly tame ones remain--all without apprent rhyme or reason. All of those first 20 were urban caches, except one. Of the next 20 I did, most are not urban caches and about the same ratio of those are now history. That's just one example of why I tell people who fret about "all the good spots being taken already" not to worry--there is a natural turn over on caches over time.

The first cache I found was called Breeder and placed on 7/1/2001. I'll never forget how excited I was to find it and also discover one of my favorite hiking spots in San Diego. Unfortunately, the park rangers changed the park policy late in 2003 and confiscated all the caches from the park including that one. The cache owner, Yrium (one of SD's beloved cachers), died two years ago at the young age of 44. Later on the rangers changed the park policy and allowed geocaches if they followed the approval process. So a friend of mine went down to the ranger station and picked up his caches and Yrium's Breeder cache that had been confiscated and gave it to me. I applied to put Yrium's cache back in the park and placed the Breeder Memorial cache in Yrium's honor.