Member Number 1,000,000

Cornerstone4

I find this totally ridiculous that there has been so many "Sock Puppet accounts" set up, just so someone can have member number 1,000,000. I am quite surprised that Geocaching.com and the Moderators has allowed this to go on.

Just my personal opinion.

Ummmm.... Oookay.

I find this totally ridiculous that there has been so many "Sock Puppet accounts" set up, just so someone can have member number 1,000,000. I am quite surprised that Geocaching.com and the Moderators has allowed this to go on.

Just my personal opinion.

People just having a little fun.

Don't think it will change world politics or stop the search for a cure.

From Dun_It's profile:

Email Address: Send message

Occupation Laser Engraver

Profile Information:

I am a 52 year old woman who is into the back country and horses. Which seem to go together rather well. I am just getting into GC and plan on doing quite a bit in the Western Oregon area.

So who knows... maybe it's not a sockpuppet,

Copied from the Groundspeak Guidlines

Sock Puppet accounts will not be allowed. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts will be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

I would also think that this should apply to Geocaching.com also. As they are the owners of this message board.

Sock Puppet accounts will not be allowed. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts will be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

I would also think that this should apply to Geocaching.com also. As they are the owners of this message board.

Has anyone posted anonymously?

(I would also think that this should apply to Geocaching.com also. As they are the owners of this message board.)

Read the last line that I had wrote. (Not trying to cause any trouble just pointing out what I wrote.)

This message board belongs to Groundspeak (Geocaching.com) which does not allow Sock Puppet accounts.

Regardless of if they posted to this forum or not.

Hi OzGuff,

I also read the profile of this person. They used GC instead of Geocaching in their profile. Usually new people don't associate GC in this manner yet.

Just my humble opinion.

Edited by kayak-cowboy

(I would also think that this should apply to Geocaching.com also. As they are the owners of this message board.)

Read the last line that I had wrote. (Not trying to cause any trouble just pointing out what I wrote.)

This message board belongs to Groundspeak (Geocaching.com) which does not allow Sock Puppet accounts.

Regardless of if they posted to this forum or not.

Hi OzGuff,

I also read the profile of this person. They used GC instead of Geocaching in their profile. Usually new people don't associate GC in this manner yet.

Just my humble opinion.

That would be the same people who defined(in your quote) a sock pupet account as "for the purpose of posting anonymously". I know of one cacher who openly has two accounts and posts from both. I am fairly sure that TPTB are aware of it.

The Groundspeak Forum guidlines is part of Geocaching.com.

Read the Geocaching.com site terms of use agreement. All guidelines for Geocaching and Groundspeak forums is governed by this Terms of Use Agreement. So a Sock Puppet account on Geocaching.com is the same as a Sock Puppet account on the forums. The forum guidlines state that this is not allowed.

GEOCACHING.COM SITE

TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT

Last updated: April 5, 2004

Welcome to www.geocaching.com, the Global Headquarters for the Sport of Geocaching. This Web site includes access to geocaching related information, the Groundspeak Forums and such other services and sites as may be made available form time to time by Groundspeak Inc. (the “Site”) These Terms of Use form a legal agreement between the accountholder (“You”) and Groundspeak, Inc. (“Groundspeak”).

3. License to Use Site; Restrictions

Groundspeak hereby grants You a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to view and use the Site in accordance with this Agreement and any guidelines or policies posted on the Site. Groundspeak reserves the right to suspend or revoke, in its sole discretion, the license hereunder and to prevent You from accessing all or any portion of the Site with or without notice or reason and without liability on the part of Groundspeak.

Altho the fact is that they can apply the rules to all parts of Groundspeak that is not what I questioned.

The definition of Sock Puppet Account, that you quoted says, and I quote your quote "A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously." My question was, and still is, "Has anyone posted anonymously?" It seems to me that until they are used to post anonymously they are not technically "sock puppet accounts", at least not by this definition.

From Dun_It's profile:

Email Address: Send message

Occupation Laser Engraver

Profile Information:

I am a 52 year old woman who is into the back country and horses. Which seem to go together rather well. I am just getting into GC and plan on doing quite a bit in the Western Oregon area.

So who knows... maybe it's not a sockpuppet,

Why does her profile say Ringbone? :P:P:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Aahh quite fighting and lets get this figured out.

Wouldn't it be funny to find that she is real and we have all been talking about her all this time.

So anyone who know anything about that area, get her on this forum and lets start quizing her. of course it is not a full proof method, but it might be funny. As for my "humble opinion" she isn't real.

oh, and why wouldn't geocaching.com let this go on. They can now report to any investors that they have hit their 1 million mark. sock puppets or not.

i have some sockpuppets. one of them actually has the word sockpuppet in its name, so i don't think it's a mystery.

and i was the target of a practical joke or two, so i have one that has signed up for some mailing lists just for listening.

and one i share as a team with another cacher; we hide our joint finds under its name.

Emphasis added.

It was created to be the millionth account, not to post anonymously, so by the quoted rule, it's legal!

Under that rule as written, you can create all the socks you want, as long as their purpose is not to post your opinions anonymously!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler