Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CYBret

Speaking to a Ham Club Friday

I'm speaking to a ham radio club this Friday night. They've invited me to come and tell them about Geocaching. I'm putting together a powerpoint and I have these nifty little brochures to hand out. :) I'd really like to be able to address the connection between caching and ham radio, and I'm afraid that's an area I have very little experience in.

I'm guessing there are a few long-time radio people here. What's the connection for you between caching and radio? What attracted you to caching? How do you bring the two hobbies together?

Any stories would be appreciated, and maybe a few photos too. Feel free to post here or email me: bret at bretnet dot com.

Thanks!

Bret

This is kind of backwards from what you asked for, but I actually got into ham radio because of geocaching. After I got bored with the endless micros and pointless locations, I began to change my geocaching approach. I decided that instead of ‘saving’ the really good geocaches for milestones, I would just hunt the good ones all the time. This meant long hikes and remote locations, whether finding or hiding. Since cell coverage is poor or completely nonexistent, I looked into radio. The downside of this has been that many hams will look down their nose at me because I have no interest in CW or HF, I only use 2 meter and 70 cm.

Many of the active geocachers in SoCal are hams, and we can use 2 meters to keep in touch with each other, and to keep in touch with someone while out geocaching off the beaten path.

I almost always cache with a 2 meter/440 HT, and monitor 146.52 during "wilderness protocol" times, incase someone is calling for help.

As for why geocaching would interest hams, basically it is another hobby with techno-toys and great chance to get some fresh air. <_<

A lot of hams are familiar with APRS, and already have a GPSr, so there is not much of an equipment issue.

Dave_W6DPS

Like Dave said, more toys!! A big thing for HAM operators is electronics. One connection between Ham radio and GPS is APRS, Automatic Position Reporting System. What this does is basically allow to connect your GPS and handheld radio, and your position will be broadcasted over the air and other Hams will be able to see your location. As far as geocaching goes, its always very helpful to have a handheld when you are on the several mile hikes in the middle of nowhere.

KE5EHZ

TacRat

I just wanted to say "thanks" to those who read and responded to this thread. I spoke to the Ham club last night and the response was great! I used a few quotes you gave me here and they were absolutely thrilled to hear about caching. I think we might have a few new cachers in the area now.

Many of them already had GPS's (they love their toys, y'know) and really loved hearing about the game. Shortly after getting home I got a phone call from the organizer who told me about the responses after I left.

Hopefully I'll have the powerpoint I used available on my website soon. I want to retool it a little and provide some scripting. Once it's up there feel free to use it.

Thanks again!

Bret

Edited by CYBret