When will Garmin also read Tracks from microSD (gpsmap60csx)

freeday

The gps60csx is a great unit.

But i am still waiting for a read-tracks-from-µSD-card-funktion.

SOULD I BE THE ONLY ONE PERSON WHO IS LOOKING FOR THIS FUNCTION?

Or is it a patent of magellan? :)

To set up the tracks to Card:-

Menu-Menu-Tracks-Entr-Setuo-Entr-Data Card Setuo-Entr-Select log track to data card!

To view the tracks

Conect unit to PC via USB

Menu-Menu-Setup-Entr-Interface-Entr-USB Mass Storage-Enter

Then look for the new drive on the PC for your SD card

Each individual daily track is kept until you delete or moved!

Each track is viewed in MapSource.

I wish all user data (points, lines, & polygons) could be on the µSD card in sub-directories of your making and only displaying those you choose to be displayed. But, Garmin doesn't seem to have a similar mindset.

I wish all user data (points, lines, & polygons) could be on the µSD card in sub-directories of your making and only displaying those you choose to be displayed. But, Garmin doesn't seem to have a similar mindset.
I think Garmin is a bit trapped. On one hand they have all the legacy GPSr's with 32MB or less and on the other are the newer "x" units which can have 2GB. The same strategy does NOT fit all.

It's all compounded by their current Road Warrior mindset, handheld sales are declining year-over-year while car units are doubling each year. So from a return on investment point of view, putting maximun resources into car receivers, they're making the right call.

Hermit

I think Garmin is a bit trapped. On one hand they have all the legacy GPSr's with 32MB or less and on the other are the newer "x" units which can have 2GB. The same strategy does NOT fit all.

It's all compounded by their current Road Warrior mindset, handheld sales are declining year-over-year while car units are doubling each year. So from a return on investment point of view, putting maximun resources into car receivers, they're making the right call.

Hermit

Yep, and the handheld market seems to be dominated by the geocachers. Garmin is playing to the market.

Yep, sorry guys, the money is in car nav units.

They could make a full Geocache manager similar to Cachemate if they wanted. It just requires programming. But I suspect, it isn't worth the resources. I would guess that they already have 90% of the Geocaching market.

Maybe with the next generation of units.

Menu-Menu-Tracks-Entr-Setuo-Entr-Data Card Setuo-Entr-Select log track to data card!

To view the tracks

I want to load from µSD to gpsmap60csx WITHOUT USING A COMPUTER.

An additional computer during hiking is not really great, you can imagine.

Hate to say this, since I own, and like, a 60Cx, but...

If you want pretty much the best TOPO-oriented gpsr, it pretty much looks like the Delorme PN-20 is the call. Sensitive receiver on par with the Sirf III (according to some people), and way way better topo mapping.

As long as you don't ever leave the USA......

You don't need one to get them from µSD to the 60CSx,

only to get them to the µSD from any source.

OK, please tell me how it works.

Who do i load a track from µSD?

I think I have mis-understood you.

You question, I now believe, was how to load and use a track from the micro SD card.

20070221.gpx the track on my SD card can only be deleted in the unit, or transferred to the PC.

So you cannot use it to trackback from within the unit.

I agree it would be a great additional feature!

Sorry I mis-understood you!

Sadly I don't think garmin has any interest in this. It may be as others have said the auto units are all they are putting their work into right now, certainly that market is booming.

Since the unit can write and read to the card it should be a simple firmware adjustment to get and save waypoints, routes, tracks to the card as well. The issue here may be lag time. It may be the unit is too slow to read/write to the card in real time. However it can log tracks to the card without any problems so it should also be able to read tracks from the card without lag issues.

I emailed garmin about this a couple times, and it was obvious from the reply that garmin thinks that having the ability to upload an active log to the unit (only one at a time and only from a computer to the unit) is more than enough functionality for tracks.

This to me is a joke, having only 500 points on a track is a joke, it costs around a mile of trail lost on longer trails (30 miles or so depending on how strait the trail is) So now every time I want to have an accurate trail, I have to run back to my labtop and upload a new active log, or deal with largely inaccurate reduced tracks.

It may also be that garmin is holding this feature out for the next generation.

However I wholly agree, having the ability to store and retrieve waypoints from the card would be great. Also being able to save, and retrieve routes, without any point limits aside card space would be great, the same with routes. Let us put them on the card, and bring what ones we'd like to the unit to use, or have the unit access them realtime from the card, as it must already do with maps and active tracklogs wrote to the card.

If you use Fugawi or TTQV to load the tracks, then you only have to

mark them as "active tracks" and they will be shown in the 60SCx!

>>Maybe if we make a mailing-list to Garmin.....

I already mailed it to garmin - they answered, to check it out.

It would be great if other would do so!!!

>>My solution is to turn all the tracks into a single transparent map

I already made a transparent map for small ways of my area.

But it is not very comfortable to load it into the gps (if i change a little).

mapsend has a limit of 512 MB

I am using 800mb of maps.

So it takes a long time to uplad some changes to the µSD.

Magellan makes it easier. Evere map can be a different file.

Garmin has one large file and it takes a lot of time to compile this file.

But as a workaround i im just doing the same thing.

BUT reading tracks directly from µSD would be even better!! :D:anibad::D

Be gentle with me on this one! Do I understand from the foregoing that if I load a route, say created on Google Earth, first as a .kml file then used for a pocket query to make a .gpx file, then copied to the micro card then the 60Csx has no way of using that route to show me the way to follow it?

It is the first time I have dabbled with this, and I was hoping that it would do so. I have managed to load tracks created in OziExplorer which appear in the Track files and can be followed, but am in a state of confusion about using files saved on the micro card (except the map files which appear automatically once loaded).

Routes or tracks on the microSD card can not be used by the unit.

They must be transfered to internal memory using Mapsource.

That seems to be a problem. I have the .gpx route file on the micro card. I have Mapsource on the computer - and I guess that the file should go from the GPS card to Mapsource and then back to the GPS internal memory. Just that Mapsource does not detect this file when the GPS is connected and the box for transferring routes is greyed out - only the 'Maps' box is available.

Grateful for an Idiot's Guide to transferring the file to internal memory! Thanks

You can not transfer tracks or routes to or from the microSD card with Mapsource.

You enable "USB Mass Transfer" mode on the GPS. This turns the micro SD card into a drive on the computer. You can then copy the GPX file to your hard drive and THEN open the GPX file in Mapsource. Turn off "USB Mass Transfer" mode and you can then send tracks or routes to the unit's internal memory.

Make sure you have a current version of Mapsource as GPX support only came out last year. You can update , if needed, from Garmin's website.

From Mapsource you need to open the file and tell it that it is a GPX file:

File

Open

Files of Type: GPS Exchange Format (*.gpx)

Make sure you have a current version of Mapsource as GPX support only came out last year. You can update , if needed, from Garmin's website.

File

Open

Yes I do have the latest version I think, v.6.10.2, and I did get a drop down 'file type' for .gpx files sothat is exactly what I did, but MapSource still claims the 'file could not be imported'. Is there any possible reason it would reject a .gpx file

File

Open

Yes I do have the latest version I think, v.6.10.2, and I did get a drop down 'file type' for .gpx files sothat is exactly what I did, but MapSource still claims the 'file could not be imported'. Is there any possible reason it would reject a .gpx file

This MapSource Software has come a long way since v 6.10.2 !!

Current version is 6.12.2.

I was using Garmin 'Web Updater' which I was encouraged to download when I installed mapsource from the disc that came with my 60 Csx. I also went to 'Help/ Software update' in the mapsource toolbar. I see this version 6.12.2 is available for download from the Garmin support site, but it is a full version, and I was trying to update a product I already have!!

I have the problem that I have Portuguese Windows on my computer, so Mapsource install program detects this and installs the Portuguese language .dll file. Having the original disc, I was able to download the English lang .dll and replace the Portuguese one which was installed, giving me the program in English. However if you download from the web, you don't get the option of which language you want to use. I wrote to Garmin Support about this when I first got the program in January, but no reply nor acknowledgement. Using the English lang 6.10.2 .dll with the latest version gives an error mesage asking to install the correct Language version. Any genius out there can send me the 6.12.2 Eng language .dll and English Language unlock wizard files ??

Edited by Team Caracache

Right, so this is something you have to know about yourself, and will not be detected by Garmin Web Updater? Web Updater has only offered me v.6.11.6.

I have downloaded the v.6.12.2 to a computer using English XP and copied the twoEnglish lang. .dll files to replace the same files in Portuguese on my Portuguese computer. Now this gives me an English language version of mapsource, but I have noticed that some other files in the Garmin folder are not identical, so I guess time will tell whether the program works fully.

Thanks very much for your help. I will try writing to Garmin Support asking why they cannot make a language choice option for this Mapsource program. It is bad enough Microsoft forcing me to only have the Portuguese version of XP installed on the computer I bought here, unless I pay about €120 for change to the English version.

OK so now I have the latest version up and running and I tried to load my .gpx file from my computer, but it still isn't having it!! Same message as before-

'C:\Documents and settings (etc).gpx could not be imported'. Is there anything else I can do?

Edited by Team Caracache

Woah, it's sounding like the X series are really crippled if you can't load tracks and routes directly to and from unit to card. Can you load tracks etc. to a map set on Mapsource, load them onto the card, then open them with the unit, if not as routes or tracks, at least as lines on the nap?

OK so now I have the latest version up and running and I tried to load my .gpx file from my computer, but it still isn't having it!! Same message as before-

'C:\Documents and settings (etc).gpx could not be imported'. Is there anything else I can do?

You could try opening the problem file in a text editor (in my case "Wordpad" works best) and compare it with a good gpx file to see if there is anything obviously wrong with the problem file.

In my case the gpx track files generated on my 60CSx occasionally have had "garbage" imbedded in them that prevent MapSource and Excel from loading them. The text editors don't care about that, so I have been able to find the "garbage" (with some clues from the MapSource/Excel/G7toWin load attempts) and carefully excise it to create a file that the other programs are happy with.

As i am still waiting for a read-tracks-from-µSD-card-funktion for the gpsmap 60 csx

and garmin also is reading this forum :blink:

i would like to know if other people still would also need this feature like me :P

Yes, this would be an absolutely necessary feature for a unit with data-cards.

It should be possible to read tracks and routes from the SD-card on the unit, and the artificial limits of 500 or 250 points should be lifted, or at least extended.

To view the tracks

This is not the requested function. My opinion is, the tracklog on the datacard is the minimum, what a unit with a datacard should be able to do - and it is now on the market for nearly 2 years.

What freeday wants (and many others, including me, too), is, that there should be not only 20 saved tracks and/or 50 saved routes in the internal memory with all the waypoint limits, but that tracks and routes should be able to be loaded from the data-card, with extended waypoint limits (instead of 500/250 it would be good to have at least 1000/1000 or so, but I don't know if the unit-processor is powerful enough for that).

Higher limits would be, of course, better. :blink:

Cheers, nz

Edited by NewZealand

The only Garmin unit I know of, that kind of supports this, is the Zumo. The Zumo doesn't have trackback like the 60 CSx, but it can read a track, stored on the SD card, and convert it to a route, which you then can follow.

Sounds great!

Would be nice to have that on the 60 csx. I think that would fulfill all requests I heard of.

This is a "must have" for me.

It would be a desaster when i lost a stored track. Could happen when i delete one and it is the wrong one. I have no chance to put lost tracks back on the unit when im far from home with my mountainbike. A replacement card can solve this problem for me.

And what sense makes a 2gb card, when i cant store other things then maps on it? Yes, no sense. :o

To view the tracks

:P Thanks for the tip. Getting the GPX files off my handheld since returning from Alaska has been a perplexing problem. The manual led me to believe I had a driver problem. Thanks for the great information.

Edited by linidawg

I agree with the desire to have better track log capabilities. Out of sheer frustration with the 20 track/500 point limitation I've reached the conclusion that you can do one of two things: (1) upload a track to the unit as an "Active Log" which bypasses the 500 point limitation, or (2) create custom maps. Using custom maps allows one to display tracks of infinite length and as many as your card can hold, which is a lot.

That's it, folks. Sorry. Garmin has missed the boat on this, but the boat has left and we're still on shore.