legend cx vs. venture cx

riverviewpat

just as i thought i made my final choice on the venture cx i was going to buy from dell, i see they have the legend cx for slightly more. i was wondering what the pros and cons of both are? is it worth 30 dollars more for the legend over the venture? any help would be great.

thanks

pat

riverview, florida

If I'm reading the Garmin product comparison page correctly, the only difference between the two is that one comes with a 64MB MicroSD chip, and the other does not. For the money that you would spend on the Legend, you could get the Venture, and spend the other $30 on a 1GB chip on that online auction site, and have more than adequate room for maps. Either GPSr should make a fine addition to your arsenal, though.

just as i thought i made my final choice on the venture cx i was going to buy from dell, i see they have the legend cx for slightly more. i was wondering what the pros and cons of both are? is it worth 30 dollars more for the legend over the venture? any help would be great.

thanks

pat

riverview, florida

If I'm reading the Garmin product comparison page correctly, the only difference between the two is that one comes with a 64MB MicroSD chip, and the other does not. For the money that you would spend on the Legend, you could get the Venture, and spend the other $30 on a 1GB chip on that online auction site, and have more than adequate room for maps. Either GPSr should make a fine addition to your arsenal, though.

That's what I did. I got the Venture Cx and bought a greater capacity MicroSD than what the Legend came with for less. I think the Venture is the better bargain. :)

The Legend CX is basically the Venture CX but the Legend CX also comes with with a 64MB card, USB cable and Trip and Waypoint Manager software.

Most Legend CX purchasers will buy a more capacious card and toss the 64 meg card in their desk drawer, so no point in paying for a card that is going to gather dust. The USB cable is a standard cable that comes with many cell phones and digital cameras, so many people already have one (If not, they are only $10). I don't know anybody who actually uses the Trip and Waypoint Manager because there are better packages for free (Like Easy GPS).

So I think you're best off buying the Venture CX and sinking the difference into a 1 gig SD card.

thanks guys,

ill definatly go with the venture then, i have a 256 microsd that goes in my cell phone all ready so i can even use that for a bit till i find a steal on a gig...

on to something else...

i see that these say they have geocaching modes...will the manuals talk about how to use them better? ive tried googleing but havnt come up with much

thanks for the help

pat

thanks

pat

riverview, florida

Hi Bud,

How are you doing these days? A while back I bought a 1gig microSD (Kingston) with SD adapter for $10.00 after rebate shipped to my door. Just recieved the $10.00 rebate 2 days ago. If you shop around you can get that deal pretty often. Someday I would love to get the Venture Cx so I can use it to navigate to the cache location then use it to find the cache. For some reason the handhelds are still pretty expensive when you consider you can get an automotive unit with touch screen for $200.00. I think there is less competition in the handheld market keeping the prices and profit margin high.

Ray

thanks

pat

riverview, florida

Hi Bud,

How are you doing these days? A while back I bought a 1gig microSD (Kingston) with SD adapter for $10.00 after rebate shipped to my door. Just recieved the $10.00 rebate 2 days ago. If you shop around you can get that deal pretty often. Someday I would love to get the Venture Cx so I can use it to navigate to the cache location then use it to find the cache. For some reason the handhelds are still pretty expensive when you consider you can get an automotive unit with touch screen for $200.00. I think there is less competition in the handheld market keeping the prices and profit margin high.

Ray

Hi Ray! Yeah, I've seen some of the automotive units for low clearance prices, but would be concerned whether they've got a fixed mapset on a chip or could be upgraded. With Mapsource v8, which just came out last year, I still find a number of neighborhoods that aren't on there yet, since it takes a few years to get them on to the update. Also, the handhelds are ruggedized and waterproof, which I'm sure you couldn't say about most of the auto units.

thanks

pat

riverview, florida

Hi Bud,

Ray

Hi Ray! Yeah, I've seen some of the automotive units for low clearance prices, but would be concerned whether they've got a fixed mapset on a chip or could be upgraded. With Mapsource v8, which just came out last year, I still find a number of neighborhoods that aren't on there yet, since it takes a few years to get them on to the update. Also, the handhelds are ruggedized and waterproof, which I'm sure you couldn't say about most of the auto units.

Hey Bud,

Back in October 06 I bought a Garmin Streetpilot i3 for $236.00 shipped and it included City Navigator NT ver. 8 on DVD, usb cable and 12vdc lighter cord. Mainly I use it to get around to the different jobsites but it does a decent job getting me there. It definitely is not waterproof and does lack the function of a handheld but there is much competition with automotive gps companies and many competitors. In the handheld market there is only a handful of companies in the market with Garmin the big leader followed by Magellan and the rest are a small percentage. One good thing about the car gps I bought is I have a full unlock from Garmin to use the mapping on another of their units such as the 60Cx, 60CSx,76CSx,VentureCx etc. The Navteq maps that Garmin uses are as good as it gets for navigation and as current as you can get at this time. Eventually I would like to get a Venture Cx and install my mapping to a 1gig microSD so I can use the Venture for all my geocaching. I work with many police details and they tell me that automotive gps's are the hottest stolen item these days. Thieves look for the telltale suction cup marks on the windshield and break into cars for that alone looking for a gps. With the Venture I can stick it into a cupholder for the ride there and take it with me so it's always safe plus no suction cup mark to worry about.. Boy that was longwinded LOL!!!

Ray

The Venture Cx and Legend Cx are the same except for the packaged accessories and the case color. The Venture's is yellow and the Legend's is blue/gray.

I think the Venture is better in this regard in case you put it down and walk away. Easier to spot when you remember it. On that note put the neck lanyard on either one and either hang the GPSr around your neck or otherwise attach it to you. Cheaper than buying a new one.