Fimo- type clay tokens/geocoins

fairyhoney

Does anyone have an answer to the forum title?? would this type of "coin" survive the wilds? Curious minds need to know!!

Clay items are suprisingly durable once baked... I have a clay TB that was bouncing around Europe for a while before being pilfered back to the states. I was also planning to make clay versions of my personal coin, but never could get access to the dies. hhm... Dragonfly has clay tokens that are deposited as sig items... you might want to ask them.

:) My sculpey tokens/sig items are pretty tough and weather resistant. Sculpey is a polymer clay and it has its own glaze that really makes the colors "POP" and protects it from the elements a bit more. I don't think mine stay in caches long enough to be exposed to too much weather though. :D

Interesting, have been thinking along theses lines...mmmmm will have to do some research... what ever happen to the one in the rain :)

CA

OK I retrieved the tokens, 1 on top of the car and 1 in a puddle of water. Dried them off with paper towel and absolutely so difference. No swelling, no cracking, no mushing etc. Good as new. The ones in the rain did not have any protective coating.

:D My sculpey tokens/sig items are pretty tough and weather resistant. Sculpey is a polymer clay and it has its own glaze that really makes the colors "POP" and protects it from the elements a bit more. I don't think mine stay in caches long enough to be exposed to too much weather though. :D

Those are the ones I was thinking of! The sculpey is the "tough as nails" material I was thinking of. :)

Snowwolf75 mentioned acrylic sealer, I've used that on past projects. You can use them on ceramics, over paints, bisques, antiquing glazes, documents, prints, wood, glass, metal, cast resin and stains.

I had made some large turtle stepping stones one year out of plaster of paris (more for garden decoration). I used a glossy acrylic sealer by PLAID. Two days later it hailed and although all my stepping stones survived they were very pock marked. Doing other projects using the acrylic sealer, they held up to rain, snow, and summer heat. I used about 3 spray sessions. Short dry time, reasonable price. It comes in matte finish also. I use it more for a fixative these days not a outdoor sealer. Just my 2cents again. Just buy some clay and do some test projects/coins, see what you like and don't like.

I have many different clays and found huge bars of clay at any arts and crafts store. It took my 900* degree temperture wood burner to burn through the baked clay and it lasted 6 months in my backyard in Michigan through snow, wind, rain, puddles, and sun rays before it cracked (and thats with no protection spray, the one with spray is still going after 9 months). I have been trying to make something like this for a year now and that is all testing clays.

:) My sculpey tokens/sig items are pretty tough and weather resistant. Sculpey is a polymer clay and it has its own glaze that really makes the colors "POP" and protects it from the elements a bit more. I don't think mine stay in caches long enough to be exposed to too much weather though. :D

Are these your kokopelli ( and others ) tokens ( pics in the "Tokens are Cool" thread )? Can you send me info on how you made them, they ARE cool!

:D My sculpey tokens/sig items are pretty tough and weather resistant. Sculpey is a polymer clay and it has its own glaze that really makes the colors "POP" and protects it from the elements a bit more. I don't think mine stay in caches long enough to be exposed to too much weather though. :D

Are these your kokopelli ( and others ) tokens ( pics in the "Tokens are Cool" thread )? Can you send me info on how you made them, they ARE cool!

:) You have mail! :)

I am a new geocacher, but a long-time craft store employee. It is best to use a brush-on, water-based varnish for polymer clays such as Sculpey and Fimo. Sculpey Glaze, Delta Ceramcoat satin or gloss acrylic varnish, or water-based polyurethane would be appropriate. Spray sealers or solvent-based varnishes applied directly to the bare, baked clay soften the surface.

I have been wondering what to take for trade. Clay items are a really good idea!

heidihunter