Caching and Catching Criminals

TygerPawz

Hello all! I thought this would be a great place to share our story that will probably not be forgotten by us for a long time!

Due to work schedules and other activities, we aren't usually able to go geocaching until later on in the day and a lot of times into night. There are 2 of us in TygerPawz, and we usually go caching with "Team Vertical Addiction" which consists of TygerPawz, Andrewtastic, Techcaching, Dynotoaqrimp, and sometimes fignewtongoon. All of us except Fignewtongoon had gone out caching before until 4 in the morning, and we decided to try and make another night of it while he was with us. TygerPawz met the other 4 at the rock gym we all climb at, and all six of us piled into the truck and went out caching.

This particular night was not nearly as successful as the 4-in-the-morning night (we ended up with 100% finds on 22 caches that night!) and we decided to call it an "early" night after trapsing out into alligator-and-snake-infested woods at 1 in the morning and not even finding the cache (frowny face). We're all very tired ready to go home when we get back to the rock gym to drop the 4 off at their cars. As we pull up, we notice the back hatch of Dynotoaqrimp's jeep is open. What was going through my mind was "how could he just leave that open" when he stated he didn't leave it that way. We all sat there for about a second unable to take in what was going on and he told us to all get out so we could check it out. There are six of us in this Titan truck with suicide doors, and just as I start to open my door, a guy who is still in the jeep pops is masked face up and realizes he is vastly outnumbered when 6 people get out of this truck like ants out of an anthill when it rains. He runs, and the 5 men who are in the Titan run after him while I stay behind (the only woman in the group). They chase him around the back of the building and start throwing everything they have at him - a water bottle, rocks they pick up, and even a flashlight we had been using for geocaching that night. He comes around the other side of the building and they start chasing him up the street when two other guys who are across the street as lookouts (what good they did) start running, too! The group splits off (at this point in time, I can't see anything, all I hear is running and yelling) and one member of TygerPawz and FigNewtonGoon go chasing after one guy, Techcaching goes after another, and Dynotoaqrimp goes after another. Andrewtastic brings the truck keys back to me so maybe I can get some kind of help to any of these guys, but in the rush to get out of the truck, the ignition was jammed, and I couldn't get it started! I call 911, Fignewton calls 911 and dyno calls 911. Did I mention the guy in TygerPawz is a deputy? Anyway, he's yelling out commands for fignewton to tell to the dispatcher, I give them my version, and dyno is very very angry because it was his jeep. Techcaching comes back to the truck without his guy and the three of us find dyno who didn't catch his either. We have no clue what happened to tyger and fignewton, but all of a sudden tons of police cars start showing up, and we finally find out that tyger and fig caught their guy!!! Now we have 20 police cars from 4 different agencies, 2 k-9 units and a helicopter searching for the other 2. One gets caught in a getaway vehicle and the other is spotted by the helicoper swimming through a retention pond and is greeted on the other side by the two K-9 officers. ALL THREE WERE CAUGHT!!!!

So chalk one up for the good guys, and for Caching and Catching criminals!!!

Well, yes...

I actually get annoyed at how many times this happens to me ha ha. I am a Detective and made several arrests and or assists while caching. It really takes the fun out of it when you have to go to work in the middle of the hunt ha ha.

Well, yes...

I actually get annoyed at how many times this happens to me ha ha. I am a Detective and made several arrests and or assists while caching. It really takes the fun out of it when you have to go to work in the middle of the hunt ha ha.

Same here. Not happy when I have to step out of hobby mode into work mode! That's why ALL cachers should have at least a phone if not fellow cachers with them no matter what the hour. Safety in numbers is a good thing!