Never mind the weather...

Rose_Thorn

As I stare out of my window at the rain and the cloud covered hills, I wonder if the weekend will be dry, and if so, how much more likely it is that I shall venture out in search of new caches?

I have to admit that clear, dry weather does encourage me to go further afield on caching trips, because I don't really like driving to new places in bad weather. On the other hand, if it's pouring with rain, the carrot of a cache is likely to get me out of the door when really I would rather just stay warm and dry stating, "I think the dog is too tired for a walk today..." :laughing:

If I do going caching in bad weather (it seems to be bad more often than not, actually) I feel very guilty about getting the logbook and cache contents wet - try as I might, it's hard to keep those water droplets out of the cache. I often try to use an umbrella to squat under whilst I open the container and sign the log, but it's tricky with only two hands! It must look funny to passers by as well - they must wonder what on earth I'm up to squatting under an umbrella in the muddy undergrowth!

Of course the advantage of an inclement day is that fewer muggles are around, generally speaking. Retrieving and replacing a cache unseen can be decidedly tricky on a hot summer's day in the Lake District for example.

So, folks, how about you? Is it a case of "Never mind the weather, Never mind the rain, As long as we are caching, Whoops we go again?"

This is a tough one - often when it's raining I like to go caching as it does get me out the house when I would otherwise just watch a DVD. I do often just to urban ones though as I figure that the more scenic ones would be better tackled in nice weather when I can also enjoy the view as well.

We try to plan longer walks for the better weather, and spend ages watching the weather sites for the forecasts. We have managed a few longer walks over this winter. We do go out in the rain and tend to be appropriately dressed for the weather, carrying whatever we're not wearing. :laughing: Living in Scotland there is no guarantee of dry weather :laughing: . But there is no fun in climbing hills in pouring driving rain but we hopefully be out and about over the weekend whatever the weather

We just do not do rain! With a white Westie it becomes a chore as he just gets a black wet muddy undercarriage and soaked coat, just not fair on him. Dry, cold, bright, sunny wonderful. If Rain and exceptionally muddy we do not go. He has his own Barbour, but that is only for his back so does not save him having to have a bath on his arrival back home. They do not do Green Hunter Wellies for Westie's either!! :):D

I rarely go out caching if it's raining heavy before I leave. However, if I'm already out and about and it starts to rain I'll just put on a waterproof coat with a hood and put my PDA/GPSr into my Aquapac. Could still do with some waterproof over-trousers, but it's usually enough protection for me to finish off the days caching. :)

If the forecast is for mixed weather or there's a high probability of rain, Ill usually try and stick to cache-and-dashes as you don't get so wet :)

Rain is good for getting rid of muggles (usually), but it is a pain when you're trying to keep the cache contents and log book dry :D

but it is a pain when you're trying to keep the cache contents and log book dry :)

I bought a huge umbrella that's big enough to sit under whilst keeping contents of cache dry and signing log book. Walking to the cache wearing waterproof coat and overtrousers it gets used as a walking pole (great for poking into holes too) then only gets put up at the actual cache. Brilliant. :)

but it is a pain when you're trying to keep the cache contents and log book dry :)

I bought a huge umbrella that's big enough to sit under whilst keeping contents of cache dry and signing log book. Walking to the cache wearing waterproof coat and overtrousers it gets used as a walking pole (great for poking into holes too) then only gets put up at the actual cache. Brilliant. :)

Ditto!

Nice to see you doing as your cacher name says Mrs FB at the Burrington Bash at the weekend, flying down the path from Burrington slopes cache!

I bought a huge umbrella that's big enough to sit under whilst keeping contents of cache dry and signing log book. Walking to the cache wearing waterproof coat and overtrousers it gets used as a walking pole (great for poking into holes too) then only gets put up at the actual cache. Brilliant. :D

Ditto!

Nice to see you doing as your cacher name says Mrs FB at the Burrington Bash at the weekend, flying down the path from Burrington slopes cache!

Ha ha :):D Just one of 49 caching teams that flew down that steep hill from that particular cache last Saturday. It was so steep it was hard not to. Glad the rain held off for the rest of the days caches, I'd not taken the umbrella. :D

Edited by The Flying Boots

For the first time ever, Daddykins and I were rained off. I don't know what it has been like elsewhere and we knew the forecast was bad but in northern Snowdonia (caching area for the day) it was relentless. We got down there, went to a few shops in Betws-y-Coed, grabbed a coffee and a cake then called it quits.

Boooooo- OOoooooooo!!!

I enjoy caching whatever the weather and in fact the most fun I have had when caching have more often than not been in the rain and when there is the challenge of slippery mud.... However it is much more fun when with someone so you can laugh together - and have help getting back up after the slippery fall!!!

Laughalot :P