New GPS Recommendations

kstate

I purchased an Etrex Legend a little over a year ago. The unit started acting funny this fall (lines across the screen). One of the users here suggested it was a bad ribbon and sent instruction on how to repair the unit. I was unable to repair the unit myself.

I have decided that I want to buy another unit. So, was my problem with the legend an isloated issue or does the issue cross all of the Garmin models?

What some recommendations for a new inexpensive unit?

FYI - If anyone wants the the Etrex Legend that is in pieces and is willing to pay postage it's yours.

I purchased an Etrex Legend a little over a year ago. The unit started acting funny this fall (lines across the screen). One of the users here suggested it was a bad ribbon and sent instruction on how to repair the unit. I was unable to repair the unit myself.

I have decided that I want to buy another unit. So, was my problem with the legend an isloated issue or does the issue cross all of the Garmin models?

FYI - If anyone wants the the Etrex Legend that is in pieces and is willing to pay postage it's yours.

I'll take it , could you also send cables etc. Do you take paypal?

Thanx,

Ray

Sorry server hang-up please delete duplicate post.

Edited by raybonz

If it doesn't include the cables I'll pass on it. Thanx for the offer.

Ray

The only cable I have is the serial cable. Since I would guess that any GPS I buy will come complete with a cable I see no reason why I can't send it to you.

Let me know.

We absolutely love our Magellan 210. It is the perfect unit for geocaching. It always takes us within about 2 feet of the cache. Give it a try. Happy caching!

Having used a 210 in the past and now using a 60CSx...I respectfully disagree.

The CSx will run circles around a 210.

In fact, my older Legend C did as good.

Perfect unit? Naw.

The only cable I have is the serial cable. Since I would guess that any GPS I buy will come complete with a cable I see no reason why I can't send it to you.

Let me know.

Please check your e-mail

Ray

Let me know.

The Venture is the same unit as the Legend. The differences are that the Venture is yellow and DOES NOT INCLUDE the cable or software.

Let me know.

The Venture is the same unit as the Legend. The differences are that the Venture is yellow and DOES NOT INCLUDE the cable or software.

I believe you need a USB cable for the venture not a serial cable.

Ray

Someone posted this deal on a refurbished Magellan explorist color gps with a 90 day guarantee from Magellan for 129.99 ... That's a great deal I would buy if I could.

Good Luck,

Ray

OK, before everyone gets confused....

The etrex Venture is a grayscale, non-mapping unit.

The etrex Legend is a grayscale, mapping unit. Both these units use the same cables.

The etrex Venture Cx and the Legend Cx are color, mapping units and use different cables to those above and ARE the same units physically.

Now back to the OP question..........

The etrex Venture Cx or the Explorist 210 are probably the best bangs for the bucks for a new unit.

Someone posted this deal on a refurbished Magellan explorist color gps with a 90 day guarantee from Magellan for 129.99 ... That's a great deal I would buy if I could.

Good Luck,

Ray

I am the one who posted the deal on the eXplorist 500 and I actually bought one the Tanga site about a month ago. After using the 500 heavily (have to fully test a refurb) for the last month I am very impressed with the GPSR. If you look up the reviews in the forums for the eXplorist 500 they are pretty accurate and very similar to my experience with it pertaining to the satellite tracking indoors and outdoors. The mapping software and Geocaching software were to a little non-intuitive, but once I figured it out it has been smooth sailing. Also, I was looking at the Magellan website the other day and they have a good deal on an extra battery and charger for $25 shipped. Just follow this link to find the battery deal: Magellan accessories

*Edit I just tried to order a backup battery and charger and the site has them on backorder. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope they ship them...

Edited by Elfdelite

OK, before everyone gets confused....

The etrex Venture is a grayscale, non-mapping unit.

The etrex Legend is a grayscale, mapping unit. Both these units use the same cables.

The etrex Venture Cx and the Legend Cx are color, mapping units and use different cables to those above and ARE the same units physically.

Now back to the OP question..........

The etrex Venture Cx or the Explorist 210 are probably the best bangs for the bucks for a new unit.

Sorry, I keep forgetting about the grayscale units. My mistake. :)

Venture CX. For around $180 you get a color display, expandable map memory (up to 2 gigs), USB connection and autorouting capability. No other unit in that price range offers all that.

Reception will also be much better than your old Legend and I've not heard anything about the lines across the screen issue with the color units.

Venture CX. For around $180 you get a color display, expandable map memory (up to 2 gigs), USB connection and autorouting capability. No other unit in that price range offers all that.

Reception will also be much better than your old Legend and I've not heard anything about the lines across the screen issue with the color units.

Thanks for the advice.

So can I transfer routes to the Venture from Easy GPS on my PC to the GPS with the memory card or do I need the USB cable?

How much does a cable cost?

Will say a digital camera cable work?