60CX shutting off on its own

When I got my 60CX I also got a 512mb card for it and it worked just fine. I recently upgraded to a 1 gig card and now when I navigate my 60CX will just randomly shut off. I will be driving along and the screen will just fade out into nothing, and when I turn it back on it will pick up the navigation like nothing never happened. Both SD cards are Kingston micro SD. Could it by my new SD card is bad or could there be something wrong with my 60CX that makes it not work with 1 gig cards? Thanks for any advice!

I have heard of several reasons for shut down like this. Lithium baterries will have too much power initially and cause shut down. Bad map segments; when crossing one it will always shut it down in the same place. Loose or bad contacts (on the inside). And I think I've heard that some cards may not work (not sure).

You might post the type of batteries you use, map program, when it happens, as well. Have you done the updates? Also you could try re-seating the card.

Edited by EraSeek

I have heard of several reasons for shut down like this. Lithium baterries will have too much power initially and cause shut down. Bad map segments; when crossing one it will always shut it down in the same place. Loose or bad contacts (on the inside). And I think I've heard that some cards may not work (not sure).

You might post the type of batteries you use, map program, when it happens, as well. Have you done the updates? Also you could try re-seating the card.

I did re-seat the card because to test the problem I put the old 512 card back in. I never erased the 512 so it still had the maps I loaded, and again it worked fine. I then put the 1 gig card back in and it has the same shut off problem. Batteries are not the problem because I had it connected to the cigarette lighter power adapter, but just fyi I have NiMH 2500 batteries installed. As I said in the OP they are Kingston micro SD card which are the ones recommended by Garmin. The bad map segments idea sounds good, perhaps I will try reloading the maps. Thanks!

edit to add:

BTW I am using City Select ver 6.

Edited by Blind Avocado

I believe that I'm the inspiration behind the bad map segment idea. My 60Cx works fine when driving and walking around, but when I fly over and circle around my house in a Cessna, my unit shuts off on its own just before crossing over a particular map segment border near my home.

Interesting situation faced by the OP. Seems like possibly a particular memory card is causing the problem... My suggestion would be to retrace your steps from when the unit shut itself off and see if you can reproduce the problem using the different memory cards with the same maps loaded for area where the unit shuts off. I'd be interested in knowing what you find out.

Try disabling proximity alarms in system menu. I have that problem unless I turn off proximity alarms at certian places it shuts down. Garmin had me exchange the unit twice and since then I have spent a year trying to get Garmin to address the issue. They have been real jerks about trying to fix the problem. If I keep proximity alarms off, there is not a problem.

Try disabling proximity alarms in system menu. I have that problem unless I turn off proximity alarms at certian places it shuts down. Garmin had me exchange the unit twice and since then I have spent a year trying to get Garmin to address the issue. They have been real jerks about trying to fix the problem. If I keep proximity alarms off, there is not a problem.

I cannot speak for the OP, but I do not use proximity alarms on my unit.

I did not get any notice of an update, but i checked and I was one behind. I have now updated to the latest firmware. Reformatting the card and reloading the maps did not work and it did it to me again today. If this does not work I will try another one gig card, and failing that I will have to send it back to Garmin. <_<

Edited by Blind Avocado

I had something similar happen to me in January. I have no idea how you're using your GPSr, but... After I left my 60cx in the car overnight by accident (subzero temps) the next day it would word, but then the screen would just fade and die. It would come back on, but then soon it would do it again. And this was while using the DC adapter. I have never had the problem when it hasn't been left outside. After the second time, I took the batteries out, put them in my pocket to warm them up, and it didn't do it again. I'm not sure why that worked since it was using external power... But, if you aren't leaving it outside I guess this post was irrelevant.

I did not get any notice of an update, but i checked and I was one behind. I have now updated to the latest firmware. Reformatting the card and reloading the maps did not work and it did it to me again today. If this does not work I will try another one gig card, and failing that I will have to send it back to Garmin. :P

Before getting another 1GB card, try using one of your other cards. If you're sure that it works fine on one of the other cards, THEN go out and get a different 1GB card and try it. If it's a problem with all of your cards, try hiding all of the installed maps and show only the basemap - and THEN try it again...

I did try another card. I have a 512 MB card and with that it works fine, no problems. It only shuts off when using the one gig card (both Kingston). Today, after it shut off by itself again I hid the topo maps but left city select active and it still shut off. Now here is a real kicker; every day I stop in a park to eat my lunch and while eating I listen to the radio. Today while eating my lunch I left the Garmin on and in navigation mode, and while just sitting there it turned off. I wasn't even moving! I hope Fry's has a sale on micro SD cards tomorrow.

I did try another card. I have a 512 MB card and with that it works fine, no problems. It only shuts off when using the one gig card (both Kingston).

Well then, I guess I'd be takin' the Kingston cards back to place of purchase for a refund. Try the SanDisk brand - I've never heard anything bad about them (except for their Ultra-II cards).

I've had a fading problem from time to time with mine. It seems to be battery related in my case. Certain brands of batteries, Panasonic for instance, don't seem to fit well. When the screen fades out, if I open it and give the batteries a little spin, it will work fine. The real solution for me is to stick with name brands like Duracel that don't seem to cause the problem. I have been using rechargable Ni-MH from battery source lately without problem too.

I've had a fading problem from time to time with mine. It seems to be battery related in my case. Certain brands of batteries, Panasonic for instance, don't seem to fit well. When the screen fades out, if I open it and give the batteries a little spin, it will work fine. The real solution for me is to stick with name brands like Duracel that don't seem to cause the problem. I have been using rechargable Ni-MH from battery source lately without problem too.

CLICK HERE