question about obtaining coordinates of a location.

defr0st

A friend and I are driving to florida for spring break to visit his family. There is not a gps in the car we are taking, but i have a handheld i use for geocaching. I think it would be beneficial if we put the coordinates of his house in there just so we know how much farther we have to drive. Is there a way of finding out the coordinates of where his house is at by just having the address of the house. Thanks in advance for any help.

A friend and I are driving to florida for spring break to visit his family. There is not a gps in the car we are taking, but i have a handheld i use for geocaching. I think it would be beneficial if we put the coordinates of his house in there just so we know how much farther we have to drive. Is there a way of finding out the coordinates of where his house is at by just having the address of the house. Thanks in advance for any help.

I can get you the decimal coordinates modestly easy, but you'll have to convert them somehow or switch your unit to decimal format for a bit.

Go to Google Maps and find the house (enter the address, in full). Make sure to zoom in at least once on the house so it's the focal point. Now hit "Link to this page" and it should re-load the page, only the URL is now full of variables. Find:

&ll=XX.XXXX,XX.XXXX

(Example -- Here is the White House link)

(http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1500+Pennsylvania+Ave+NW,+Washington,+DC&safe=active&sll=49.61071,-79.804687&sspn=17.108251,44.208984&ie=UTF8&z=10&ll=38.902289,-77.03373&spn=0.320614,1.06842&om=0)

(You would want ll=38.902289)

With XX.XXXX,XX.XXXX being some numbers. Those are the decimal coordinates -- copy them as-is and plug them back into Google Maps to verify (just post them as-is into the bar, like you did your address).

There you go.

Edited by crtrue

I did some snipping and editing to make my contribution more clear. This is specifically if you must do Degrees/minutes and not decimal degrees. My Magellan 200 needs minutes.

I can get you the decimal coordinates modestly easy, but you'll have to convert them somehow or switch your unit to decimal format for a bit.

Go to Google Maps and find the house (enter the address, in full). Make sure to zoom in at least once on the house so it's the focal point. Now hit "Link to this page" and it should re-load the page, only the URL is now full of variables. Find:

&ll=XX.XXXX,XX.XXXX

(Example -- the White House)

(You would want ll=38.902289,-77.03373)

With XX.XXXX,XX.XXXX being some numbers. Those are the decimal coordinates -- copy them as-is and plug them back into Google Maps to verify (just post them as-is into the bar, like you did your address).

Then, take the decimal place (In this case, .902289 and .03373) and multiply them by 60. So you'd have 51.5374 and 2.0238. So, your coords are 38.51.5374 and -77.02.0238

There you go.

Edited by Retcon

Just "Go To" the city where he lives and you got your distance. Add what few miles he lives from there. You couldn't be off more than a couple of miles or so. Anyway, crow-fly miles are less than driving miles so you are not going be exactly on the money with your odometer.

I missed that part of the original post. You are correct. Until you're on his street, distance to his house is a (lowball) estimate at best.

However, when you're on his street you're dead on. And it's really nice to *know* that you're less than 50 feet from your goal when you're parking in a city you've never been before.

try this website

http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php

Go to Google Earth and enter your target address to create a route.

That will give you turn-by-turn directions and driving distances.

Save that route as a KML file.

Go to geocaching.com, to your My Profile page (assuming you are a Premium member, and of course you are! I can tell you're a fine fellow without even looking) and select the Caches Along A Route feature.

Upload the .kml file you enetered and set some basic parameters... such as .5 mile off the route if you want to only find caches real close to your route.

This will create a PQ that you can run on your laptop mapping software or mapping GPS while driving and let you see all the caches along the way!

You'll never get to your friend's house, or anywhere else on time ever again, but you'll have fun trying!