HELP?!?! (Please) New Cachers Already Lost

Geo-G's

Hello, I'm trying to plan an afternoon for the family's first day of geocaching. I have found 8 locations and saved the GC waypoints on my GPS'r. For the life of me however (with The Idiot's Guide and Garmin manual in front of me) I can not figure out how to program the device to track or route our path to the saved route points.

Is there anyone available with a little time and a lot of patience that could help me out?

Would very much appreciate it.

Hello, I'm trying to plan an afternoon for the family's first day of geocaching. I have found 8 locations and saved the GC waypoints on my GPS'r. For the life of me however (with The Idiot's Guide and Garmin manual in front of me) I can not figure out how to program the device to track or route our path to the saved route points.

Is there anyone available with a little time and a lot of patience that could help me out?

What kind of GPS do you have? I am new also and may need the same help when mine arrives.

What kind of GPS do you have? I am new also and may need the same help when mine arrives.

I have the etrex Venture Cx model.

I have an e-trex vista--probably the same controls.If you press the bottom left hand button (with the gear on),the screen should say find at the top of the screen and waypoints is highlighted.

Press the joystick button in and the screen should say By name or nearest.Press the joystick button again over the one you have highlighted (make it by name) the screen should now read your waypoints.Use the joystick to highlight the waypoint you want and press again.You will now see the waypoint with at the bottom of the scren GOTO,map,ok.Press GOTO and of you go.

I bought mine in the states 2 years ago and I could also buy from the store a video that walked you through each step.

Break a leg!!!

You have a Venture Cx .... Do you have mapping software (City Select or City Navigator)? If yes then your unit will route you from home to the first cache you do a FIND > Waypoint > (you pick waypoint) > GOTO (follow road mode). If you do not have the detailed maps then it only knows major roads ..... so pick the google maps and get an idea where it is.

Your unit is not going to plan a route for you ..... but with the detailed maps and Mapsource you can figure that out at home before leaving.

Without the mapping software you should just expect to get a directional arrow and distance (off road mode).... start driving and have fun.

The best advice is to find someone close who can show you the ropes.

:P ImpalaBob 60C with City Select! It really is worth the extra money to know every road and never be lost!

I have an e-trex vista--probably the same controls.If you press the bottom left hand button (with the gear on),the screen should say find at the top of the screen and waypoints is highlighted.

Press the joystick button in and the screen should say By name or nearest.Press the joystick button again over the one you have highlighted (make it by name) the screen should now read your waypoints.Use the joystick to highlight the waypoint you want and press again.You will now see the waypoint with at the bottom of the scren GOTO,map,ok.Press GOTO and of you go.

I bought mine in the states 2 years ago and I could also buy from the store a video that walked you through each step.

Break a leg!!!

You have a Venture Cx .... Do you have mapping software (City Select or City Navigator)? If yes then your unit will route you from home to the first cache you do a FIND > Waypoint > (you pick waypoint) > GOTO (follow road mode). If you do not have the detailed maps then it only knows major roads ..... so pick the google maps and get an idea where it is.

Your unit is not going to plan a route for you ..... but with the detailed maps and Mapsource you can figure that out at home before leaving.

Without the mapping software you should just expect to get a directional arrow and distance (off road mode).... start driving and have fun.

The best advice is to find someone close who can show you the ropes.

:P ImpalaBob 60C with City Select! It really is worth the extra money to know every road and never be lost!

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post! You've helped to point out some of the missing factors we need to get us on our way. I appreciate your time.