Off-Week Hike of the Month

Criminal

I was hoping to do some snowshoeing this weekend. I have two suggestions:

Three Lakes Hike; not too long of a hike and not too far away.

or

Mulkey Shelter in the Olympics, via the Col Bob Trail; not a long hike, possible FTF, but a long drive.

Either Saturday or Sunday, whichever works out the best.

The spring hiking season is coming, time to get off our duffs and get in shape! :P

I was hoping to do some snowshoeing this weekend. I have two suggestions:

Three Lakes Hike; not too long of a hike and not too far away.

or

Mulkey Shelter in the Olympics, via the Col Bob Trail; not a long hike, possible FTF, but a long drive.

Either Saturday or Sunday, whichever works out the best.

The spring hiking season is coming, time to get off our duffs and get in shape! :P

My duff is in shape.

Round is still a shape right?

103 people read this thread and only one response? C’mon people! You’ve seen the HOM pictures, you know you’ll have fun, so do it! Just stop by REI after work Friday, rent a pair of snowshoes, and you don’t have to bring them back until Sunday, all for $20.

Mulkey Shelter is only 4 miles in, that’s like two 2 mile hikes, heck, that’s like walking into the Target from the parking lot a few times, like if you forget the parachute pants you were going to return right as you’re walking in the front door, so you have to walk all the way back out to the parking lot and get them out of the trunk, and then you get back to the store and realize you left your wallet on the center console from the Wendy’s drive through stop you made, so you go back and get it but notice a dollar bill blowing by so you chase that around the parking lot for a while and finally catch it and then it’s only a mattress advertisement that looks like a dollar bill so then you have to walk to the trash can and throw it away because you don’t want anyone to see you littering and then you go into the target and remember that you never locked the doors the last time out there so you go back and lock the doors and then walk back to the Target.

But with snowshoes on.

Three Lakes is half of that even.

Sorry I am responsible for at least 15 of those views. I just don't have the time this weekend, and as much as I would love to go I just have to live vicariously a bit. Love the areas you are going too but after snowshoeing a little this winter I don't think that is going to ever be something I want much part of. Let me know the next time you intend on trying a non snow hike.

Wish I could go, but I'll be in North Carolina, missing snowshoeing and duckying.

Andrew, you don't like snowshoeing? I think I'm enjoying it more than skiing this year! Helps to have great companions like MissJenn along! :D

I don't ski either... :)

I like snow and I like hiking and I like hiking in the snow about once a year. This year's one outing has long passed. I would rather wait for the snow to melt and then hike the area. I admit some of those bushwacks would be a lot easier if you are going over instead of thru the brush.

I would love to join you guys. That part of the hike is relatively easy compared to the remaining hike up to Colonel Bob and I'd like the chance to use my snowshoes again instead of carrying them like on the last hike.

But I gotta spend time with the wife and get things done around the house again in order to be good for my next HOTM.

I would love to join you guys. That part of the hike is relatively easy compared to the remaining hike up to Colonel Bob and I'd like the chance to use my snowshoes again instead of carrying them like on the last hike.

But I gotta spend time with the wife and get things done around the house again in order to be good for my next HOTM.

Doesn't she owe me one after I brought you back alive from French Peak? Tell her I'm cashing that one in. :)

</me ducks>

Doesn't she owe me one after I brought you back alive from French Peak? Tell her I'm cashing that one in. :D

</me ducks>

:D Actually, if I bring that up, she'll probably allow you to collect exactly what she thinks you have coming to ya. :):D

Doesn't she owe me one after I brought you back alive from French Peak? Tell her I'm cashing that one in. :D

</me ducks>

Wait, didn't we have to get rid of the...never mind, wrong thread... :)

Doesn't she owe me one after I brought you back alive from French Peak? Tell her I'm cashing that one in. <_<

</me ducks>

Speaking of French Peak... Memorial weekend is the targeted date depending on snow levels. Watch the HOTM thread for further info when the month arrives!

I'm kind of balking at the 3 hour drive to Colonel Bob trailhead. Six hours in the car is six hours I'm not studying or sleeping, two things which I really need to do on weekends.

Three Lakes still looks interesting, but I'm thinking about something closer to home, like putting a Geocache on South Mountain, where there also happens to be an unfound Terracache.

Or even just staying in Kitsap and cleaning up Green Mountain.

Edited by Bull Moose

OK, the HOM is going to be scheduled for later in the month, so this will be the off-week hike. I need to justify the snowshoe purchase, so I am planning a re-attack on the Steven’s Pass caches, this time with some better cache detection and snow removal equipment. I’ll gen a show time at the pass if there’s any interest, if not I’ll just be there when I get there.

TotemLake's Bookmark.

OK, the HOM is going to be scheduled for later in the month, so this will be the off-week hike. I need to justify the snowshoe purchase, so I am planning a re-attack on the Steven’s Pass caches, this time with some better cache detection and snow removal equipment. I’ll gen a show time at the pass if there’s any interest, if not I’ll just be there when I get there.

TotemLake's Bookmark.

Oooh, goodie - take lots of pictures so we can see! Wanna see if our trench is still on the top one.

If I was the cache owner I'd be upset that you gave away the hide location with that pic.

;)

Did you fill the trench back in?

Let's see... it's at the base of 4 trees on a forested mountain... hmmmm big give away. :sad:

I doubt GeoRoo would be upset. However, when you are at GZ by the lake, it's fairly open, with just a couple of distinctive clumps of trees that might be candidates. I recognize that as the place where we also tried to dig with our puny shovel. But I don't think it's that much of a giveaway.

Does anyone have any weekend plans for a hike? I have several ideas if anyone is interested, I'm leaning towards the Olympics.

Right now I'm still watching the weather though, and if it looks like rain on Saturday I may just put the car up on the lift and flush the transmission.

Does anyone have any weekend plans for a hike? I have several ideas if anyone is interested, I'm leaning towards the Olympics.

Right now I'm still watching the weather though, and if it looks like rain on Saturday I may just put the car up on the lift and flush the transmission.

I think you should go check on your Mt. Ellinor cache so I know it's there when I look for it next weekend. :laughing:

I think you should go check on your Mt. Ellinor cache so I know it's there when I look for it next weekend. :laughing:

Leave Ellinor for another time and do the HOM with TotemLake next weekend!

I might be interested in a hike on Sunday depending on where it is and the weather. What's the snow level over there in the Olympics these days anyway?

Og

I was thinking of doing a hide on the Duckabush Trail, and maybe do some fishing in Ranger Hole if someone would tell me if fishing this time of year is any good. I still need to get the cache At Mulkey Shelter up the Col Bob Trail too. I can hike the Bob trail or instead check the condition of the Pete's Creek Trail.

Now Og, last time we hiked together you wussed out if I'm not mistaken...

:laughing:

Leave Ellinor for another time and do the HOM with TotemLake next weekend!

I'm only getting a one day leave slip, and I anticipate getting lost in the woods for at least two days and an ankle injury taking another two days when I try French Peak.

You can't really get 'lost' exactly. If you're temporarily unsure of your location, you just head south down off the ridge and pick up the Boulder River Trail. If you're in a hurry to get off the ridge, head north down off the ridge. There's not really a trail there, but you'll be dead anyway so it won't matter. :laughing:

I have no idea about the fishing in Ranger Hole. I do know that Colonel Bob is way further than I was willing to drive. The Duckabush trail seems more doable but still quite a drive for me. I've never heard of Duckabush and I gotta admit it's a neat word, fun to say. :D

About the wussing out..."Whatever" <_<

Well Crim said with little advance notice. Anyone want to tag along Rattlesnake Ridge today..... Like right now! That's North Bend for anyone that doesn't know!

I think I'll go west to east this time. I'll be at the winery just after 11AM and doing some caches there for a bit before heading up to the ridge. I'll be on FRS 2 if you can get there before about noon.

Otherwise you could come in from the lake and we'll cross paths along the trail at some point. I'll be the crazy guy with the full overnight pack. Getting ready to head out the door....

Edited by MarcusArelius

Anyone want to do Mount Jupiter tommorow?

Read this first, be safe.

What a nusiance.. I wonder if it just means a little wind and rain or if it's something I should actually be worried about? I'm prepared for Wind, Wet and Cold.

I think the gist of it is that if you’re going to be hiking near the freeze level, you may experience some snow and wind. After the great weather we’ve had, I think they’re worried about people being unprepared for those conditions. The last time I attempted Jupiter, I wasn’t.

I wish I could join you! Have fun, fly safe!

Anyone want to do Mount Jupiter tommorow?

Read this first, be safe.

What a nusiance.. I wonder if it just means a little wind and rain or if it's something I should actually be worried about? I'm prepared for Wind, Wet and Cold.

I think the gist of it is that if you’re going to be hiking near the freeze level, you may experience some snow and wind. After the great weather we’ve had, I think they’re worried about people being unprepared for those conditions. The last time I attempted Jupiter, I wasn’t.

I wish I could join you! Have fun, fly safe!

I hike year round so I guess it won't be a problem for me. But now I wonder how much snow is up there, not much point in going in the rain with no view if I can't even find the cache because it's buried under snow.