Plastic vs metal

I found some plastic ammo cans at the local store recently. I am wondering are they as durable as the metal ones that people use for caches? as waterproof or better? They aren't a bad price but not having come accross any that are plastic in my hunts I was just wondering if any one has used them.

Thanks

RCDispatchersx2

Only seen one, which was soaking wet inside. On it the gasket was not rubber but some kind of black foam.

The one I saw on an island cache was soaked and everything inside in bags. Always check the seal. They're probably fine, but do what I do and just put a piece of paper inside and spray the whole container with a hose for a few minutes...if the paper is dry, then I'd say it's ready for the wild...

I've got one as well. As already mentioned the lock is weak and the seal is poor. Mine has been the field for a while and has held up fairly well - hidden out of the direct elements. I have had one complaint about a moisture problem - checked and it was not a serious enough problem for me to want to pull the can.

Go with metal :P

I use a product called a Sportsman Utility Dry Box (advertised as SPUDs) that's ~$8. from Academy Sports.

I have fifteen of them hidden and have given maybe twenty-five away at events as door or game prizes, without any trouble at all.

My other hides are in a mixture of containers and none so good as these; some of these dry-boxes have been out over three years now.

We have some pretty extreme variations in temp here, from 110° summers to 5° or below winters, humid year-round, and I have yet to see one fail, though in cold weather they can be somewhat brittle - I dropped one on rocks on a cold night and broke a quarter-sized hole in it.

MTM Molded Products, or www.mtmcase-gard.com

Not to pick on the other various possible containers being used, but ammo cans can be found for cheaply at many army surplus stores and work really well. They are rugged, normally water-tight and cheap.

Many of the kitchen containers do not keep cache contents dry. Lock-n-locks are a notable exception.

Then again, finding a soggy cache with a nice stinky mold smell just adds to the adventure. :P

JustMike