Thirlmere Aqueduct

PopUpPirate

The Thirlmere Aqueduct is a huge underground watercourse, entirely manmade in Victorian times. Full details, including grid references of all visible surface features, are obtainable here (see Bridges, Pipe Crossings, Other Crossings.

Caches currently at or near to surface features :

Thirlmere Aqueduct Abyssinia

Gate To Nowhere

Anyone got any caches with the final location by the aqueduct, which runs from Thirlmere down to Manchester, or adds any new ones to the list, I'll add them to the bookmark list.

The aqueduct route passes very close to where I live in Kendal (viewable on www.live.com), no nearby caches unless you fancy walking up the nearest hill, what criteria are you giving for inclusion of your list.

There's a book called 'The Thirlmere Way' which is about a walk that follows the route. (out of print but loads of copies in all cumbria libraries) it may help in identifing nearby caches

The aqueduct route passes very close to where I live in Kendal (viewable on www.live.com), no nearby caches unless you fancy walking up the nearest hill, what criteria are you giving for inclusion of your list.

There's a book called 'The Thirlmere Way' which is about a walk that follows the route. (out of print but loads of copies in all cumbria libraries) it may help in identifing nearby caches

Criteria I suppose is that either you walk past the aqueduct en-route, or you can see it in close proximity to the final!

There are loads of places to see the gates and bridges of the aqueducts around Kendal - it goes in an arc past Ings, to Watchgate to the north, then east of us before heading south. There are also several air values and other buildings.

Not many caches directly near features but Creature Comforts takes you through Jenkin Crag wood where there are several gates as the aqueduct heads round the back of Low Wood. You also go past a big survey 'tower' used when they were digging the aqueduct.

Another good spot is along the Coffin Trail between White Moss and Rydal. Various tunnels, embankments, gates etc can all be seen above the path, especially at the west end where it crosses Dunney Beck.

Related is Haweswater Reservoir which feeds water into the Thirlmere Aquaduct at Watchgate. I have a series of caches around the lake: Mardale Madness (shameless cache promotion :lostsignal:)

HTH

Related is Haweswater Reservoir which feeds water into the Thirlmere Aquaduct at Watchgate. I have a series of caches around the lake: Mardale Madness (shameless cache promotion B))

HTH

They certainly have got a series of caches there and an absolute classic it is too, one of our all time favs B). It must be good because it totally occupied Mrs gingerbreadman and myself for a while by making us drive up to the Lakes on three consecutive weekends to finish it. Was it worth it? You bet your sweet bibby it was.

Get up there, you will not be disapointed .

I used to live near where the Thirlmere Aqueduct terminates at Heaton Park, Prestwich. There is a large stone carving on the outside wall of the pump house which depicts the journey the water takes from Thirlmere down to Heaton Park. (I've just had a quick search for a photo of it on the web but suprisingly I can't find one - I did find this though)

The pump house itself is a Grade II listed building as its interior is lined in beige marble, and the original control system with cast-iron valves and built-in electric fires with decorative grilles apparently still survives. (Make a good location for a cache :P ) It was designed & built in 1954 by Mitzi Cunliffe.

Here is a map of the location.

There is a cache nearby in Heaton Park GCN8VZ and it can be easily approached by parking near the pump house and walking down the old track at the side of the reservoir.

It's bugging me that I can't find a photo of the stone mural - I'll take one next time I'm down that way and send it on to you.

One interesting fact - I believe that until it reaches this pump house, the water flows all the way from the Lake District to Manchester fed entirely by gravity. Just goes to prove the point that its Down South and Up North :D

As a roving engineer I used to go all over the country to jobs. When the apprentice was driving, I'd be on the map (long before tom tom) I used to torment him by going all sorts of dfferent routes to avoid fictitious obstacles such as the staple in the mapbook centre, a crease or tear in the page. I also convinced him that when he read the map he must keep it as flat as possible or with only a slight incline to keep North up! If held the other way we be in serious trouble or if held straight up we'd not be able to climb the page when heading North or go too fast when going South - Honest! He worked with me for 3 months before he ceased to believe what I was telling him.

Ahhhh! the torment of it all...........

Off topic sorry, Carlos

Edited by Carlos & The Birdie Crew

As a roving engineer I used to go all over the country to jobs. When the apprentice was driving, I'd be on the map (long before tom tom) I used to torment him by going all sorts of dfferent routes to avoid fictitious obstacles such as the staple in the mapbook centre, a crease or tear in the page. I also convinced him that when he read the map he must keep it as flat as possible or with only a slight incline to keep North up! If held the other way we be in serious trouble or if held straight up we'd not be able to climb the page when heading North or go too fast when going South - Honest! He worked with me for 3 months before he ceased to believe what I was telling him.

Ahhhh! the torment of it all...........

Off topic sorry, Carlos

So that's why we were going round in circles the other week trying to find the best route during our night time caching. Bloomin' typical! :P