Garmin 60csx and rechargable batteries

Dimitris77

I have bought a Garmin 60csx 3 weeks ago and I got some Ipower US rechargable batteries (2500mh) to go with it. I have noticed that they last only 30mins on my GPS and when i place them on the charger (same brand) they charge for 40mins tops. I have tried some duracel batteries on my GPS and they seem to last around 20 hours. Is it possible that i got flawed batteries or do you think its a problem with my GPS?

Perhaps this thread will help. In my research, 2500mAH on the label is just a number. Your best guide is the battery brand. The best brands are the made in Japan: Maha Powerex and GE/Sanyo.

Hermit

Thanks a lot for the link. I have already gone through it. I have used IpowerUS in the past (9v) and they were quite good. I guess I will try the Maha batteries. Do these need a Maha charger or will they charge on any smart charger?

Thanks a lot for the link. I have already gone through it. I have used IpowerUS in the past (9v) and they were quite good. I guess I will try the Maha batteries. Do these need a Maha charger or will they charge on any smart charger?
Your best single source for Maha Powerex is Thomas Distributing, they specialize in batteries. But both Newegg and Amazon carry them.

The Maha chargers are supposedly the best, but any charger will work. Probably best to go with what you have and upgrade as needed. Lacrosse also makes a great charger, you can pay upwards of $50, make you wonder if rechargables make sense at that level.

Hermit

Here's a thread on DPReview which has more detailed replies.

Hermit

Thanks a lot! I get over 20 hours from my Duracel batteries with average light and compass on usage. I guess this means that there is nothing wrong with my GPS consumption right? I am more worried that there might be an issue with my Garmin and less with the batteries. I will try contacting Thomas distributing to see whether i can send these back and exchange them for Baha.

Do you have your 60csx set up for use with rechargeable battery's?

Yes. Actually I am giving my batteries some run and they seem to improve the more charges I put on them. Do you think that batteries need burn in? :laughing:

Yes of course NIMH battery needs a few charge and discharge to get full capacity. If you can afford buy the new Maha charger MH-9000. I bought it and I really like it.

You have an option to break-in new battery. Also if you want to check your battery capacity you can do a Refresh & Analyse and at the end you will get the real capacity.

Here what I do for new battery

1) Break in mode (could take up to 40 hours)

2) Then I will make 3 to 5 cycle (charging at 1000ma and discharge at 500ma)

Now the new battery should have reach their best capacity.

Try also to charge you battery in slow charging from 2 to 3 hours charging time. You will get better charge and will be less hard on the battery. Once in a while you could use fast charging.

Hope this help !

Edited by sylvainp
Yes of course NIMH battery needs a few charge and discharge to get full capacity. If you can afford buy the new Maha charger MH-9000. I bought it and I really like it.
I don't mean to dispute your claims for this charger, but $63!!! :laughing:

Unless you're a wedding photographer with heavy flash use or a similar needs, that charger is insane. I had a hard time justifying the very good Maha 204F at ~$20. You'd have to go through many dozens of AA's per week to get even close to getting a payback on $63.

Your money, your choice.

Hermit

I don't mean to dispute your claims for this charger, but $63!!! :laughing:

Unless you're a wedding photographer with heavy flash use or a similar needs, that charger is insane. I had a hard time justifying the very good Maha 204F at ~$20. You'd have to go through many dozens of AA's per week to get even close to getting a payback on $63.

Your money, your choice.

Hermit

Well I have over 30 battery (AA & AAA) and I think spending $60 on a charger is worth it. I have use in the past a Energizer 30 minutes fast charger and it just kill my battery. Since I have bought the Maha charger I have been able to recover 6 of them ($20 bucks saved) with the charger. So actually this charger is costing me $40.

I also really like the feature to get battery capacity.

Look it this way $60 is not the end of the world and this charger is very good and also 3 years warranty !

Just my opinion...

Is it possible that i got flawed batteries or do you think its a problem with my GPS?

I think you had flawed batteries. I had a similar experience. Bought some Chinese made "Power2000" 2700 mAh, 1.25v for my camera and could barely get 20min of video with any combination batteries (out of 12 batts). Returned all of them... absolute crap. Alakines gave 30mins+ of video

Then, after a bit of research, I bought from here: http://ripvan100.com/ and got 3.5 hours of video from a pair of batts. Sanyos high capacity (for heavy duty use) and Sanyo Eneloops (for intermittent use) are the way to go.... and with a quality charger.

If you really want to look at some good battery analysis go here.... these guys are the battery geeks of all geeks: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133440

(their site seems to be off line for the moment, but I'd check back, they've tested the best of the best)