Garmin Topo

schnad

Hi,

I am Sandra and a newbie..in this forum and to GPS..

I recently bought a Garmin Etrex legend CX unit and working my way through the Menus. I use Anquet as a Route planner. I would like to buy additional maps to use in my GPS. I upgraded with a 1GB memory card already, but I am not sure which map to buy. I use the GPS for walking, biking and I would like to use it in the car. I have got routing software for the Garmin. Shall I buy the Metroguide UK or the Topo UK or both? I am not sure.. :P

Thank you

Topo GB obviously lacks the European coverage of Metroguide, but has two major advantages: it allows routing on the device; and it has the topographcal information. I have both, and only ever use Topo on my 60CSx unless I am abroad. However, on the PC, Topo has an infuriating limitation about the area that it can display in detail - I don't think Garmin gor a very good deal from the Ordnance Survey! You can get the whole of Topo GB on a 2GB microSD card (very convenient, works fine).

It'll provide routing on the device, but small handhelds like this are pretty useless if you are driving on your own. It's fine for a passenger to use, or can be an alternative to stopping and asking the way / reading a map, but the driver can't use it effectively while in motion.

By the way, don't even think about loading GB of data onto the card through the GPSr. Your microSD card will come with an SD adapter (at least, it will if you buy Sandisk, standard NOT Ultra). Put that into a USB 2.0 High Speed card reader, connect to your PC, and you will find that Mapsource has an option to download to it. Fast and convenient, although it is still quite a long process.

Thanks R_S. What about a combination of City Navigator NT and topo GB? Can I combine them on one card? And since the Topo GB has routing (Navteq) already on it, do I need another map like City navigator? Can I copy only selected areas from the city navigator on my gps or do i have to transfer the whole map from the dvd..? Sorry about all these questions.. :laughing:

Edited by schnad

CityNavigator Europe v9 is the best Garmin software for you and your location, but costs more!!

MetroGuide Europe v8 is basically the same maps but you have to 'manipulate' the software to get 'autorouting'!

Garmin Topo can autoroute but it is not so clear for motorists.

I have Topo and find it a waste of money!

The paths are not complete, and the contours are confusing, [my iQue can remove the contours but the 60CSX for walking etc - cannot] the Topo on the PC is very restrictive and there is a complicated way of printing it!

You use MapSource to select the MapTiles you require [from any Garmin software and a mixture of them]and transfer those selected maptiles to the SD card!

I see we come from the same area, if you wish send me a private message with your email address, I will send you screenshots from both sets of software for a given location of your choice [not your home]