Hookin' GPS to a PDA

MSea

I just got a new PDA, I was thinking of purchasing a GPS receiver for it for, well, um, fun. I can't think of how else to justify it. While I was looking at PDA reviews and the such, I stumbled across them and now I HAVE to have it. I have been checking out ebay and they are quite expensive, so I doubt I can get away with it.

I did see a post once about hooking a actual gps to a pda, is this possible? So if I got the software, would it also to the turn by turn, routing, and rerouting?

Anyone know anything about this?

If the PDA has bluetooth, then I would recommend a bluetooth GPS. There are many models available, and all should work. If you get the proper software, then yes, you can get turn by turn voice routing, and automatic rerouting. I have a Palm Tungsten T3, running Mapopolis, connected to my Legend via a bluetooth adapter, and I get all this. You can also use a cable to connect the devices if you get some other GPS. You cannot, however, connect any USB GPS to it, because there are no PDAs which are USB hosts, and that is necessary to connect to any other USB device. You need either a serial or bluetooth GPS. A bluetooth GPS can be purchased for ~$70 or less.

If the PDA has bluetooth, then I would recommend a bluetooth GPS. There are many models available, and all should work. If you get the proper software, then yes, you can get turn by turn voice routing, and automatic rerouting. I have a Palm Tungsten T3, running Mapopolis, connected to my Legend via a bluetooth adapter, and I get all this. You can also use a cable to connect the devices if you get some other GPS. You cannot, however, connect any USB GPS to it, because there are no PDAs which are USB hosts, and that is necessary to connect to any other USB device. You need either a serial or bluetooth GPS. A bluetooth GPS can be purchased for ~$70 or less.

So you just have a regular etrex legend attached via a bluetooth adapter to your Tungsten right? So I assume you do not have a seperated GPS recevier (ie Garmin Mobile 10 or ipaq or others)? Am I getting this right.

Could you elaborate on the adapter?

Thanks so much for the help!

Bluetooth (for example, the Garmin Mobile 10) is an obvious way to go, but most general-purpose GPSr do not have Bluetooth output, and have to be hooked up with a cable.

Don't expect to make a USB connection - your PDA would need a driver for the specific GPSr, and I have never come across any.

Serial connection is easy in principle, but unfortunately the standard serial cables of your GPSr and your PDA are both designed to plug into a PC, and will accordingly not plug into one another. You can either use a NULL MODEM (not straight-through) connector to link them, or buy a serial host cable (usually off-brand) for the GPSr and plug the PDA serial cable into that.

In the Garmin range, old GPSrs (like the eTrex Vista) and current high-end GPSrs (like the GPSMap 60CSx) have serial connectors, but current mid range models like the colour eTrex do not, indeed they do not have any data output, just a USB interface for loading maps.

I bought an ipaq rx1955. It got good reviews all over the place and I have have issues now with Palm OS systems since our desktop died.

I wanted something with WIFI, I spend alot of time parked and waiting for my kids in various places and didn't want to lug the laptop around anymore.

The one I am selling is a Palm vIIx, worked really well for caching,

I bought an ipaq rx1955. It got good reviews all over the place and I have have issues now with Palm OS systems since our desktop died.

I wanted something with WIFI, I spend alot of time parked and waiting for my kids in various places and didn't want to lug the laptop around anymore.

The one I am selling is a Palm vIIx, worked really well for caching,

For cables to hook stand-alone PDAs and GPSs, try http://pc-mobile.net/home2.htm

Your new PDA has an SD slot, so an SD-based GPS add-on would work as well....