Google Maps just got better (for me)

Papa-Bear-NYC

The aerial photos used by Google maps for my area (greater New York) just got significantly better. The photos are dated 2007 so they must have just got them up.

The photo resolution and quaility is very good, most of the photos were done in winter so there is little foliage obscuring the ground and the geodetic control is excellent.

Look at this one: KU4047

Now look carefully at this: Google Maps for KU4047. Note the positioning of the station compared with the stone jetty. It is just in-shore from the bulkhead and close to alignment with the south edge of the jetty. Here's the station in a photo I took:

255a897c-b670-4b29-bc38-7ad90c45062b.jpg

Looks like that positioning is within feet of the station, certainly better than my GPS.

Here's another one: KU3822

Here's the Google Map: Google Maps for KU3822. You can even identify individual trees. Notice the beech tree (dark redish green foliage) by the playground. Now see that little white spot right were the pointer is pointing. Guess what, that's the concrete post the disk is mounted on, here's my picture (complete with beech tree):

4f72a0d0-e35f-476b-b583-204781ccf642.jpg

Howd'ya like them apples?

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

You can't necessarily trust their date. After I read your posting, I quickly pulled up the google map for my neighborhood near Binghamton, NY. Although the date on the map said 2007, its the same old imagery that they've had for years. How do I know? Pictures of the shopping center near my house show that its still under construction. Although it has been finished for many years.

I do agree that google maps seems to be very accurate. I always use it to scout out an area before I go out. Then when I get back I do a sanity check of the coordinates that I got against it. I have been very impressed with it.

RF

You can't necessarily trust their date. After I read your posting, I quickly pulled up the google map for my neighborhood near Binghamton, NY. Although the date on the map said 2007, its the same old imagery that they've had for years. How do I know? Pictures of the shopping center near my house show that its still under construction. Although it has been finished for many years.

I do agree that google maps seems to be very accurate. I always use it to scout out an area before I go out. Then when I get back I do a sanity check of the coordinates that I got against it. I have been very impressed with it.

RF

You're right the date "2007" on the images don't mean the pictures were taken this year. In fact I checked the shot of a power plant in the city, which had 3 of the 4 stacks removed sometime in late 2006. The Google maps shows the old stacks still there: Google map of KU3583. Compare with the pohotos I took in February: KU3583

However from my own use over the years I have noticed a recent large improvement in these phots, and with excellent geodetic control. In some cases you can see a mark and the Google arrow is within a foot or 2 of the mark.

I just wish it were true everywhere. In areas of Maine and NH I like to visit, the photos are rather poor.

One thing I've noticed about google maps in NY state, is that they went a little overboard in obscuring or blurring out certain areas. In this day and age, I can understand the need for this. However, I've found that if you go to the NY GIS Clearinghouse website, you can view the exact same imagery, with much less obscurring.

For example check out this google map and compare it to the imagery available straight from the NY GIS:

nygis.JPG

The other nice thing about the NY GIS website is that you can download free color quadrangles for the entire state. Anyhow, I just wanted to let folks know that if they are using google maps in New York state and find the area they are searching for is obscurred, to try the NY GIS website. It has no where near the user interface that google maps provides, but is a good back up source when needed.

Cheers,

RF

They have upgraded some of the imagery in my area with higher resolution photos as well. What is most interesting about them (to me anyway) is that not all of the photos were shot during clear weather. There are places you can see some high cumulus clouds, and their shadows on the ground. Kinda cool...except if you're looking to use a portion of the photo that's obscured. :huh: I'll see if I can post a link.

If this works, it's a very interesting spot--as far as Google maps are concerned. The coordinates are probably 50 miles or so east of my home. To the north and east (southeast of the arrow) are both newer imagery, but from different seasons. Both contain some high clouds to make things interesting. To the southwest is the older lower res imagery that still exists for many places in my area.

Link to Google satellite photo

Where on the NYSGIS Web Site are you getting those satellite photos? I only saw what looked like contour like maps. I have a lot of blurry-ness in my area and am interested in a secondary source of satellite photos.

Use this link. Then start zooming in on the region of the map that you want to look at. You'll probably have to zoom in about 4 times, but eventually the maps will turn into satellite imagery. Hope this works for you.

RF

How do you key in the degree symbol for google maps? I tried copyng and pasting the degree symbols from MS Word and WordPerfect, but Google Maps doesn't recognize them. I copied and pasted it from the first post on this thread and saved it in a MS Word file, but it's awkward having to open it up every time I want to check a coordinate on Google Maps.

How do you key in the degree symbol for google maps? I tried copyng and pasting the degree symbols from MS Word and WordPerfect, but Google Maps doesn't recognize them. I copied and pasted it from the first post on this thread and saved it in a MS Word file, but it's awkward having to open it up every time I want to check a coordinate on Google Maps.

You don't need the degree mark. Say you want to go to N 44° 58.035 W 103° 46.293.

You can type in N 44 58.035, W 103 46.293 or N 44 58 02.10, W 103 46 17.58 or 44.967250,-103.771550. All of those will take you to the same location on Google Maps. Just be sure to use north and west indicators.

How do you key in the degree symbol for google maps?

..if you do want to use the ° symbol - just hold down the 'Alt' key & type '0176' (it's one of the selections in the 'character map'..that is if you are a 'Windows' person ...whether you want to be or not!) :huh: