Edit/Organize Trackables

South Lyon Trekkers

Or, if too difficult, a way to edit listed names in order to group them.

:sad: I most certainly don't want someone renaming my owned geocoins and/or travel bugs just so they will be in an order they like, if that is what you are asking there.

I did a quick count, and I came up with over 900 trackable coins at this time. Honestly, I am not sure what criteria you would use to break them up into categories? Even if you break it down into signal, personal, state and organizational coins, you are still going to have some pretty long categories if you collect coins like I do.

Right now, in your viewed profile, I am pretty sure they are in the order they were created. I kind of like that. It shows that Moun10Bike created the first coins, the USA coins, then the German Coins, then the GW3 coins and so on. It might be nice to click a tab for alphabetical order, but I think the default should be what it is. I think the pioneers should get some credit for being out there ahead of everyone else.

I'd love it if mtn-man could tell me how he came up with his quick count.

A month ago I did a quick count, using my web page ray.jerome.jobs.googlepages.com/GeoCoinABC,

a spreadsheet and Visual Basic program, and the profiles of about 50 top traveler movers/collectors, and the profiles of some people I know, along with the somewhat non usable All Geocoins list in the geocoin home page www.geocaching.com/track/geocoin.aspx

to get a, curent at that time, list of about 650 existing different geocoins.

Now, when I saw somewhat unusable, I mean that I'm not sure if all those coins exist within the profiles of anyone. And there seem to be some errors.

It could be that in about a month 300 new coins were generated.

Perhaps that's why everyone experiences the dreaded Server Application errors on the geocaching web site, too many new things each and every day.

I'd love it if mtn-man could tell me how he came up with his quick count.

Sure thing. Go to the main Geocoin Home Page. http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoin.aspx

On that page, look at the tabs below "Geocoin Information".

Click the link that says "All Geocoins".

A new link will appear that says "Click here to view all Geocoin Types".

A new window will open up. Sit back and give it time to load. :laughing:

Once loaded, I resize the window to get 20 on the screen.

I then click the scroll bar to move down 20 at a time.

I counted 44 clicks times 20 coins is 880 total roughly.

There were actually three more below that, so the current count I just got is... 883 coins.

That said, the mtn-man admin brick is on their twice for some reason, so it is only 882 coins at the most. I think I know why the duplication is there for my coin, but it is what it is. I will report that eventually, but that is so trivial I will not report it now. Once site performance issues are out of the way, I will.

Thanks.

You may have noticed that several coins have the same name but different icons such as the Alien coins or The Definitive Coin Series.

What's less common to notice, but you did with your own coin, is that several times the same coin with the same name (or close) and the same icon will show up in a persons profile multiple times, such as Personal coins which can show up 4 or 5 times spread through a person's profile, some others like this are Event and Tommy trojan coins.

Yours is weird and doesn't match my expectation of why I think this happens. I had thought that perhaps a database issue where a different variety of one type of coin will be treated differently, like the fact that almost every personal coin is different, how many are there right now, hundreds? Other times a coin is issued in different years but has the same generic name and with a different icon such as the Compass Rose coin.

Your issue looks like the name of your coin may have somehow changed, as the JeeperMTJ Geocoin used to be a Personal coin and I think it actually went through 3 or 4 names before settling out on JeeperMTJ, and the Stars coin used to be Stars Orion coin. I know of only one other that has 'modified' its name.

In my profile your coin shows up as "mtn-man Admin Brick Geocoins" I can't remember if it always showed up as that.

How many of your coins exist and in how many people own them? If you could look at all the profiles of them would you see it like as in mine or sometimes like "mtn-man geocoin"?

This is kind of one reason I said that I consider the All Geocoins list to be less than usefull and the list I maintain to only be of coins that I know are in peoples profiles.

Edited by trainlove

I was just logging on to start a thread on this very topic! Let's face it, if you have 900 icons on your profile, you aren't going to be able to find anything easlily. What I was thinking was just what was originally stated - group the icons into a handful of categories, probably 10 or less. They could be "Travel Bugs" (traditional TBs, Jeeps, Diabetes), "Personal coins", "Signal coins", "Coin club coins", "State coins", "Country coins" and maybe a few others. The administrators should be able to break them up by the first two characters of tracking number. That would really help out people like me who have personal goals of finding all 50 state coins (I know some states have more than one), or all the signal coins, or whatever.

Mark

Group them yourself! I put all my coins in an archived cache for "storage"...if you are keeping track of a certain series or group of coins (states), place those in a certain location, place the others in another. I know this won't work for some, but to be able to make different catagries would likely be difficult at best! There are more and more coins coming out that don't even have anything to do with caching or cachers...just made for profit!