Buying a GPSr in Manhattan

Team_Vink

I'm guessing that since the OP is from the Netherlands, international shipping may be unavailable or extremely expensive. It's probably simpler and cheaper to buy while here, even considering the area he wants to make the purchase in.

Pricing at J&R is about $400 compared to € 550 or $ 700 at this side of the ocean...

So it's certainly worthwhile to take one home with me.

I might order online and delivered to the hotel...

But somehow I always kind a like to hold it before I buy.

Alfred

J&R would be a good place to get it.

J&R Music

Thanks,

Just confirmed with J&R that store prices are the same as the online prices.

At about $400 including taxes ( 8.375% ?) that's almost $300 cheaper than in europe.....

Some difference in pricing I can understand, but this is outrageous.

So while I'm in the city next week, any recommendations for nice caches in manhattan or the park I can do to test my new gadget on ?

Alfred

Edited by Team_Vink

Ordering online would be much cheaper, say to your hotel then you can pick it up. I am sure shipping to the Netherlands isn't 200 USD!

Online it's $325.00 --- $175.00 less than Manhatten

400 is including sales tax and I can pick it up from the store...

325 I guess is without taxes and overnight or 2nd day delivery to the hotel..

Not to mention that a lot of online stores do not ship to hotels because they need a signature or only ship to the address that is linked to the credit card..

For now I'll stick with J&R

Still open for suggestions on a downtown new york caches :P

Because the muggle factor is off the charts in Manhattan, you won't find many full sized caches. There are a few but they're mostly micros. I don't mean to knock them, they were all well thought out and fun to find. One thing to keep in mind is that satellite reception is notoriously bad in Manhattan. Make sure you're well away from the buildings for the best results. The 60csx does a great job (as opposed to my old Magellan) but I wouldn't pass judgement on the new gps until you have a clear view of the sky when you do. Have fun and good luck with the new rig. You're gonna love it.

Well bought my GPSMap 60CSx at J&R Express in Macy's on sunday, great prices compared to Europe !

Immediately took it out for a walk through Central Park where I picked up 5 caches while trying all the new functions on my latest gadget.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by Team_Vink

Ordering online would be much cheaper, say to your hotel then you can pick it up. I am sure shipping to the Netherlands isn't 200 USD!

Online it's $325.00 --- $175.00 less than Manhatten

No, the shipping from US to Europe would not be $200, however, the import fees could and more then likely would be well over $200, sometimes almost equaling the items value! So ultimately it is cheaper to buy an expensive unit in a store, then to buy one in Europe in this case.

Well bought my GPSMap 60CSx at J&R Express in Macy's on sunday, great prices compared to Europe !

Immediately took it out for a walk through Central Park where I picked up 5 caches while trying all the new functions on my latest gadget.

Thanks for the input.

Great! You will really like the unit. Enjoy your stay!

One thing to bear in mind is that a GPSr purchased here will come with American Basemaps.

See Puchase Options

You will have to buy European software at European prices. This mapping software for the Netherlands Dutch Topos is 135 euros (about $250). or City Navigator Europe Europe for $299. Maybe you can find a better deal at home, but you will be spending some more money. Good Luck.

Edited by jonboy