New GPS Unit, need help and suggestions.

Gaprofitt

Hi All,

I am looking for a new GPS unit. Currently I use my Holux Bluetooth GPS unit with my PDA with Streets and trips. I have a few requirements for a new unit.

1.)With streets and trips downloading maps is a pain and you can't download big maps, I would like a unit that has all detailed maps built in or that I can download onto an SD card, I don't want to pay extra for maps.

2.)I would like a unit that can easily be mounted in a car that has a touch screen.

3.)I would like a unit that has great POI system for when I go on trips for finding local restaurants. ATMs etc, golf courses..

4.)I would like to be able to use the unit on an airplane, I like to track the flights when I travel, using my laptop to do this with Streets and trips sucks.

I would like to not spend a fortune and I am looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi All,

I am looking for a new GPS unit. Currently I use my Holux Bluetooth GPS unit with my PDA with Streets and trips. I have a few requirements for a new unit.

1.)With streets and trips downloading maps is a pain and you can't download big maps, I would like a unit that has all detailed maps built in or that I can download onto an SD card, I don't want to pay extra for maps.

2.)I would like a unit that can easily be mounted in a car that has a touch screen.

3.)I would like a unit that has great POI system for when I go on trips for finding local restaurants. ATMs etc, golf courses..

4.)I would like to be able to use the unit on an airplane, I like to track the flights when I travel, using my laptop to do this with Streets and trips sucks.

I would like to not spend a fortune and I am looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,

Greg

Your requirements 1,2 and 3 point toward an auto nav unit such as garmin's Nuvi or StreetPilot series. Requirement number 4 would point to any handheld GPS receiver.

I have a garmin 60CSx with the auto nav maps/software. Although the POI data is helpful, it is not as complete or up to date as a DVD-based system like those intended for automobile navigation. If your first three requirements are most important, you may have to compromise on the last.

Some thoughts, good luck.