Any other road biker geocachers out there?

Cyclosarin

Heyo! I've just recently gotten into geocaching - and I find myself constantly on the look out for shinies when I go on my day to day activities that I can use to put in caches.

I tend to spend most of my time looking for caches late at night (11 pm through 2 or 3 in the morning on weekends) because my road bike is so much fun to ride at night and it has a great light system. I kind of don't dig it in some sense because I live in Southern California, not far from LA - but far enough to be in 'valley' area, and I can say that there have been some caches that as I get within 300-400 feet range - I decide it's probably best if I stop right there and find another that isn't giving me chills just from looking where I'll have to go.. <_<

That said - are there any other cachers that go from cache to cache using their road bike, or some sort of non-vehicle equivalent? I'm afraid to hunt for them with my car because then I probably won't want to do it on my bike anymore.

I've also been leaving things like goldstones (Picture: http://www.occult-shop.co.uk/gold-stone.JPG ) and other polished stones (Apricot agate, etc) in caches, even if there is nothing in there that interests me. Granted I've only found 7 caches around me so far - as college and full time work keeps me soo busy, but I've been doing my part to leave really fun treasures for other people to find.

It would really amaze me if I rode up to a cache on my bike and/or set it down to look around, only to find another road biker ride up and look for it as well. :blink:

-Jennifer (Cyclosarin is the name I use when caching)

Edited by Cyclosarin

I'm a cyclist. I've got a road bike, mountain bike, and cyclocross bike. I've raced some, and prefer cyclocross (even though it makes me hurt like an old man).

I've never hunted for a cache from bike.....I just barely got into cacheing and it started snowing around here.

<_<

My cyclocross bike would be perfect for caching, with the on/off-road ability.

Edit:

I thought I'd add pics of my steeds.

Also, I've got a Garmin Vista. A Garmin accessory is a rail/handlebar mount....I've bought two so far :blink: and will buy another soon. The few times I've been able to get out its been invaluable, as I'm new to the area I'm in.

My fat a** near Vegas

redrockcanyondec20065.jpg

Cyclocross in the snow

P1010030.jpg

Mountain bikin'

P1010918.jpg

Edited by Jamisjockey
I'm a cyclist. I've got a road bike, mountain bike, and cyclocross bike. I've raced some, and prefer cyclocross (even though it makes me hurt like an old man).

I've never hunted for a cache from bike.....I just barely got into cacheing and it started snowing around here.

<_<

My friends and I have geocached while on a motorcycle trip to Vt. . That was the 1st exposure I had to geocaching. One year later and now I'm doing it but so far only via pickup truck to a parking location. Don't let the snow stop you unless it's real deep. Good luck in your travels! Ray

<_<

*snipped*

Wow! Lots of bikes. And yeah..there's no way I'd do it out in the snow..though I will admit the past couple of nights I've been out road biking and caching - it's been about 33 degrees farenheit. That's sort of crazy for around Los Angeles. o_O

I had no idea that there are mounts for bikes for GPS's - though that is an awesome idea! It's a bit troublesome for me to fish out my GPS while riding, because I have clip on shoes and it's easier to check while on the move and clipped in rather then to stop and check. A mounted GPS would make things a lot easier!

I'll try and post a picture of my road bike later today if I get a chance.

-Jen

<_<

*snipped*

Wow! Lots of bikes. And yeah..there's no way I'd do it out in the snow..though I will admit the past couple of nights I've been out road biking and caching - it's been about 33 degrees farenheit. That's sort of crazy for around Los Angeles. o_O

I had no idea that there are mounts for bikes for GPS's - though that is an awesome idea! It's a bit troublesome for me to fish out my GPS while riding, because I have clip on shoes and it's easier to check while on the move and clipped in rather then to stop and check. A mounted GPS would make things a lot easier!

-Jen

What model GPS do you have? They very well might make a bike mount for it.

i have two mountain bikes, a hybrid (from the early days; handy for lending), a road bike and soon i'm going to have a cx bike.

don't be afraid to cache from your car. for starters, since it is clear you love your bikes, you will never give them up. additionally, often a trail is bike friendly, so you can drive to the trailhead and then go most of the rest of the way by bike. develop a good cx carry and you'll be all set.

<_<

*snipped*

-Jen

What model GPS do you have? They very well might make a bike mount for it.

I have a Magellan eXplorist 600 I think.. I dunno though..I'll probably just keep it in my sweater pocket or something out of fear of it breaking if I ever took a dive on my bike - which I have done at considerable speeds. The roads out here aren't always in the best of shape. :3

I have found about 25 caches by road biking. I put in about 300 miles one summer, and some of those miles was put in by leaving the house, going on a cache run, and coming back a few hours later. I am not an avid biker, and I haven't been out in a REALLY long time.....but I have done it and that makes me one of them...

f79fbc89-11a5-4d68-b242-c0b8c393915d.jpgVENTUREMAN7/ I geocache alot on a Recumbent Bike "Bent" they are Fast and very comfortable allowing me to make a whole Day of it! I have plenty of storage for geocaching "goodies", a GPS mount, MP3 player mount, Rain Gear. After riding a "Bent" I will NEVER go back to a "Triangle bike" or better known as "A weapon of a** distruction"!! (This Recumbent is one I built in 2006) Edited by VENTUREMAN7/ "A" TEAM"

Wow..I did not know there were other people that did this sort of thing too. Ok..here is a picture of my road bike that I use to go caching. I can't really bushwack much while using it which is a shame - I will probably save those ones for my car, and just grab the stuff that's hidden in parking lots and what have you with my bike. Glad to know I'm not the only one who caches while on their bike. Sometimes I feel a little silly being in my helmet and bicycle gloves while poking around for hidden shinies. :laughing:

Roubaix1.jpg

I do alot of mountian biking and geocaching on my mountian bike as well. I also hide a cache right on a mountian bike trail which is in a pile of rocks that is use for a jump. I thought this would be neat to find for geocachers. There are two ways to get to this, bike down the trail or hike up the trail. Hoping this would get some geocache bikers to locate this one and log it. It's a fun trail and lots of neat stuff on this trail. I think there should be more of these caches out there. Assuming you don't get run over, ok in the winter time though.

I like to bike to caches whenever I can. I put about 800 to 1,000 miles on my road bike each year, and another 100 to 150 on my mountain bike (both Specialized). I also like to hide caches designed to be hunted on bicycle, but most geocachers don't bike.

My road bike uses these special clipless pedals - which require shoes that have a type of cleat in them that just LOVE to scoop up mud and icky stuff if you step into any earth that is even remotely anything other then desert dry. I have tried multiple times but after having to clean up gobs of mud off my cleats - I just log those ones to be found by vehicle later on.

I love how being on a road bike can make you feel as if you have a little more maneuvering freedom - you can instantly turn around, make sharp turns, and ride right up to some caches. =)

f191fb66-e80e-40f1-aeda-3a751e5eaeaa.jpg

Mud can be a problem. If it's too muddy then I won't go riding (or geocaching). I try to work in as much biking + geocaching as I can. The bike also provides great "cover" for caches where you need a bit of stealth.

FYI I use old "Onza HO" clipless pedals and they shed mud and dirt very easily since there aren't any springs or delicate parts to get clogged - only rubber elastomer thingy's.

Edited by Zoptrop

I have both a road bike and mountain (opps I am a flat-lander) communter bike. I am approaching 500 caches using one or the other. The longest day I have had is ~139km just to find a cache - there have been longer days but those didn't involve caches. I cache both winter and summer - the most recent dip in temperature was below -40C (or F) and hotest last summer was over 35C.

When out on my road bike my GPS will go in a pocket of my jersey - I pull it out periodically to see where I am going. Before I leave home I make a mental note of where the caches are and when I think I am close then I check the GPS. I have a mount for my mtn bike but do not use it often as it does not deal well with my style of off road riding (my GPS does not stand up well either).

I have thought about getting a Garmin Edge or Forerunner but then think about how I could use the money for other things.

I've done a few out in the woods caches with my Bike. The Garmin bike mount lets me strap either my GPS-V or my E-trex Vista to the bars. My worst problem with it has been carrying my bag of trade items since it's a little hard to stick a pannier rack on a dually.

My_Canyon_DS_1.jpg

'05 Giant Canyon DS.

But I guess I don't belong in this thread, as I'm not strictly a 'road biker' Though I have agressive semi-slicks on instead of the full knobbies, so it kinda counts...maybe? And I do get in quite a bit of pavement time.

Edited by Double Agents

I started biking between caches when I got tired of park & grabs. Gives a whole new angle to them, and actually makes them interesting. I just got a Garmin iQue and I'm trying to figure out how to mount it on the bike (or myself) so it can tell me directions while I'm riding. There's a lot of turns in the city -- I hate stopping every turn, pulling out the pda, and looking at the directions.

I have done some Bike caches with both road and mountain Bike and love it. I always worry about the bike wile looking for the cache think someone will get it. I also have hidden a cache 3.3 miles out in a WMA in West Virginia, it is made for new mountain biker to try something off road but not to hard. My bike caching is seldon bike only I take the car part way and finish up riding to and from the cache. Great variety I love it.

I'm a roadie, riding about 3,000 miles a year and have found over 700 caches (over 5 years) via my road bikes. When caching via my road bikes, I look for caches with a terrain <2, though I have climbed some short cliffs with my (expensive) cleated shoes using cleat covers. I even hauled my bike up a sand dune once, though I did change my shoes to walk through the sand.

I love combining biking with caching. The caches are a nice incentive to do a ride and a destination to ride to. Many times it's difficult to figure out where to park a car near a cache, but with a bike, you can ride right up to it. When I go on organized bicycle tours, I seek out caches to find along the way too.

Most of my road riding is with a group. The paceline never seems to want to stop while I look for a cache. <_<

I've thought about combining caching with a long ride, but mid way thru a century, I just wanna keep going and finish. And I can't imagine walking thru the woods in cleated road bike shoes.

I have spent time on vacation (AZ, WV, CA) caching during mountain bike rides. We are planning on a bike touring trip to Scotland, and I plan on combining caching with the touring rides.

That being said, my favorite caches were ones that took me to out of the way places that I came back to explore more fully on a hybrid bike.

I love cycle caching using either my touring hybrid or my MTB. Which bike I use depends on where I feel like caching. I also map MTB tracks using my handlebar/stem mounted gps.

I have a simple, wooden, homemade, mounting base that holds the gps above the stem and handlebar. It fits either bike and straps on to the stem using a velcro strap. The gps fit's into a cradle (made of plexiglass that I moulded to fit the gps) attached to the mounting base. The gps is held in place in the cradle by both the friction from the ends and sides of the plexiglass cradle and by a thin velcro strap over the gps (to stop it from ever bouncing out of the cradle). I have used this one cradle for many thousands of kilometres on smooth sealed roads, rough gravel roads and off road using the MTB. The photo shows my old 12XL mounted but I now have a new plexiglass cradle for my 76CSx. The mounting has not failed me yet. Note that the gps's lanyard clipped to brake/gear cables for extra safetyMount3s.jpg.

The gps is easily detached from the cradle (just release the thin hold down velcro strap and remove the gps from the cradle) when you can't home those last few metres to the cache by bike and have to approach on foot.

I do more geocaching on my bike than I do in my truck or car. I find it's actually faster when the caches are close together, plus I love the exercise. I use my mountain bike like a road bike, cause I find that I have more flexibility to go off road to get all the caches and don't have to worry about flats as often. I use a handle bar mount too- with a little planning before hand to create a route to get them as efficiently as I could. The longest I've done is 45 mile round trip- you should check out the CCT series by Mrs Captain Picard in Austin, Texas. She's created geocaches specifically to be done by road bike and has even given the caches routes. (GCMFZN & GCMDCD are the two I've done)

The only downside is that I've almost been hit a few times while riding in the city to get some urban caches- very scary out there on the busy roads.

I have a lot of hides close to home and I check on them while I'm out on a bike. I don't have a road bike (except for some vintage Schwinn Varsities and a Super Sport) but I have plenty of others. Last summer I purchased what I believe to be the ultimate caching rig:

pugsley.jpg

With 4" tires, and plenty of gears, this thing can co anywhere.

I've done a few out in the woods caches with my Bike. The Garmin bike mount lets me strap either my GPS-V or my E-trex Vista to the bars. My worst problem with it has been carrying my bag of trade items since it's a little hard to stick a pannier rack on a dually.

They make nice racks that will attach to your seatpost. They're only good for 20 pounds so you'll have to leave the panniers at home.

They make nice racks that will attach to your seatpost. They're only good for 20 pounds so you'll have to leave the panniers at home.

You might also try wearing a camel back- carries your water and acts like a backpack for all your swag. That's how I do it!

You might also try wearing a camel back- carries your water and acts like a backpack for all your swag. That's how I do it!

Haha, nice. This thread is still going. That's actually what I do. I have a camelbak that I used to fill with lots of liquid for my long road bike trips. Now I use the water bottle in the bike frame and I use the camelbak to hold all my stuff. New baggies (large and small - for repairs), stuff to trade or put into caches that need a boost, etc..

I even have a little kangaroo plush that peeks out from one of the pouches - so whever I ride, I have these little 'roo poking out that goes riding with me. =)

-Jen