I have something that I just have to point out.

bassman69

I wonder how many times I've seen this message posted in how many different forums in the last twenty or so years. And yet, every single time I see it, I still have the burning desire to hunt down the OP and give him a hydraulically-assisted wedgie.
I didn't expect anything good to come from this thread. I figured it would be angst for the sake of angst. However, I will gladly work my way through ten of these threads so as not to miss the return of AuntieWeasel.

Welcome back. I hope to read more of your pearls.

A lot of local cachers are afraid to post on these forums. It's not because of lack of time -- they have no problem posting to the local forums. Every time they post on here, they think they're being attacked instead of just discussing something. You do sort of have to have a thick skin in here. The local geocaching forums I've been on are much nicer (and typically unmoderated). But you can pick which forums to participate in, so stick to the local ones until this one isn't so annoying to you.

A lot of local cachers are afraid to post on these forums. It's not because of lack of time -- they have no problem posting to the local forums. Every time they post on here, they think they're being attacked instead of just discussing something. You do sort of have to have a thick skin in here. The local geocaching forums I've been on are much nicer (and typically unmoderated). But you can pick which forums to participate in, so stick to the local ones until this one isn't so annoying to you.

well, i got on a forum from another state and they had a thread entitled "let's drive flask nuts". much of what was said there was unkind. i found it by accident. i have found people here to be much kinder. the opinions are more diverse and the arguments often heated, but it's the gentlest forum i've been to.

I for one will now keep my activities with this game limited to finding and placing caches.

*cheerful wave*

buh-bye!

It's c-------s like you who are driving away newbies and giving this forum a bad reputation.

Yes I'm a newbie, been caching and visiting these forums for just a week.

If the way some of you act here on the forums is any indication of what you are like 'in the flesh' I have no desire to be associated with you or in meeting you. (Unless I'm carrying a 45 caliber baseball bat)

There are no doubt a few genuinely nice people here but they seem to be a very small minority. This is another case of a bunch of people who think because they were here longer, have more post, more 'finds', etc they own the place. They sure don't make newbies welcome, in fact they go out of there way to be rude and demeaning.

I'm seriously considering giving up the 'sport' completely.

Ya know Dru's Pet this is just a suggestion... Giving up the forums is far better idea than giving up on caching (IMO). I've been around a while and figured out real quick (for me) that the forums actually had no bearing on my fun with caching. I also figured out real quick that lots of the folks here probably enjoy the forms more than caching it's self, which is totally acceptable. We all find our own nitch here at GC dot com and it's certainly different for every individual. Having a thin skin and posting in these forums do not go well together. If your looking for a since of community without all the harshness maybe you could look up your local association most states have one. Normally (not always) the local forums are better fit for asking questions and getting answers without the sarcasm, insults and smarty pants replies such as the one quoted above "buh-bye".... case and point. Local forums seem to be a tighter community because you are more likely to meet those folks in person and it allows you to build friendships in your area. IF you are seriously interested in caching give up this particular forum (that’s easy) and stick to having fun outside, the thrill of the hunt is awesome!

I did some research for ya and came up the “Wisconsin Geocaching Association" with in the topics I looked at they have one titled “New Member Forum” with the below information available to you: Here's the place to learn about our fellow members. If you are new to our website, introduce yourself! Just getting started? Questions about how it all works? We were all starters once; ask here. Have fun in your new ventures with geocaching and I hope that some of the information I provided you with in my post is helpful.

Pepper

I did some research for ya and came up the “Wisconsin Geocaching Association" with in the topics I looked at they have one titled “New Member Forum” with the below information available to you: Here's the place to learn about our fellow members. If you are new to our website, introduce yourself! Just getting started? Questions about how it all works? We were all starters once; ask here. Have fun in your new ventures with geocaching and I hope that some of the information I provided you with in my post is helpful.

Pepper

Too bad they promote shameful logging practices, to log temp caches.

Pepper

Too bad they promote shameful logging practices, to log temp caches.

Kit Fox I know nothing of the practices in Wisconsin I was merely pointing the young man in the right direction for his area. Your replay to my response is only asking for more heated discussion that I'm sure somewhere here in the General discussions forum has been beat to death. I was just trying to be helpful!

Pepper

It's all about the numbers... People post to this forums from all over the world. When you post a question in this forum, you get an answer usually within minutes. You may be waiting days or even longer to get a response in a local forum. There are sometimes hundreds of people online in this forum. If you only have 1 or 2 people online and several days between posts, that's not very conductive to a debate.

I love these forums! If it's too "Tough" for you, blow up your swim weenies and move to the shallow end.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I love these forums! If it's too "Tough" for you, blow up your swim weenies and move to the shallow end.

Well, there are a number of you here that just seem to have a passion for jumping into any discussion and inflicting your attitude on all that view it. Your comments are often a distraction of the real issue being discussed...

Case and point again...getting back to the orginal post fine example in the above bolded quote.

Pepper...gone caching!

Just like Geocaching, there's something for everyone. If a cache doesn't appeal to you, you move on to one that does. If a post doesn't appeal to you, you move on to one that does. That's what's so great about it, there's something for everyone. Nobody forces you to do a cache or read a post and no cache or post owes you anything. This is why this game can be played by all walks of life from all different Countries.

Case and point again...getting back to the orginal post fine example in the above bolded quote.

Pepper, what you don't seem to understand is that the OP did not come to the forums with an attitude of someone looking for help. The OP started his thread looking for trouble. Go back and read the original post. My parents taught me that you get out of something what you put into it. He put angst into this thread and that's what he is getting out of it. If you find it necessary to blame folks like me, I remind you that I didn't start it (said in a 6 year old tone).

The wave was started by the OP... I'm just riding it.

Pepper, what you don't seem to understand is that the OP did not come to the forums with an attitude of someone looking for help. The OP started his thread looking for trouble. Go back and read the original post. My parents taught me that you get out of something what you put into it. He put angst into this thread and that's what he is getting out of it. If you find it necessary to blame folks like me, I remind you that I didn't start it (said in a 6 year old tone).

The wave was started by the OP... I'm just riding it.

RoN...I just happen to agree with a large percent of his OP...go ahead and ride your wave young man...and have fun. :D I have no idea what possessed me to post in the first place I could just slap myself! :)

Pepper

I usually stay out of these threads, but what the heck.

<OPINION MODE ON> I personally am sick and tired of the drive by a bunch of touchie feelie do gooders to make everything in the world so "politically correct" that no one is ever offended or has their self esteem damaged, even if they are three quarters brain dead and shouldn't be using anything more technical than an Etch-a-sketch, let alone a computer. I find this forum to be very helpful, and also quite entertaining. If it gets to the point that I am so offended that I can't stand it here, I will quietly fade into the sunset and not inflict any more opinions on the group. <OPINION MODE OFF, FLAME SUIT ON>

Bravo!! Well said. You should venture into the "Fun" threads more often. Better than yelling at the wife and kids.

Hey, I was gonna use the "Bravo" word!!! :)

most of my local cachers do not frequent these forums. the simple reason is that they just don't have the time.

I think this is very true. The main forums are just so big, it can be overwhelming. Local forums are a smaller community of people who likely know each other and have met.

I agree with Ambrosia

Well, there are a number of you here that just seem to have a passion for jumping into any discussion and inflicting your attitude on all that view it. Your comments are often a distraction of the real issue being discussed...

Pepper...gone caching!

These forums aren't rough, tough, or anything inbetween. I have seen some rudeness come across at times but i seriously do not see all the bad stuff that some here says goes on. There is nothing wrong with a good debate, even when it sometimes escalates into a heated one. Just with real life, things can get out of hand at times but these situations are usually handled pretty quickly here. The notion that alot of people, new or old, who post here and then automatically get jumped on is just too far out there. If it does happen, then you can bet that the OP started it with a rude or cocky post!

Those who do see these forums as being too tough need to follow ReadyOrNot's advice above. :)

I personally love to participate here, and have made some friends here as well as not so much, but I can't deny that it's a pretty hard-line atmosphere that can get pretty ugly compared to the local forums I attend.

Big interesting straw man:

Assuming it to be a common truth that the international forums are in fact rougher than local forums, is it possible that the reason therefor could be the very fact that the posters do meet face-to-face occasionally in local settings and it is assumed that such meetings are not likely on a worldwide scale?

What I'm getting at is the assumption of anonymity and the breakdown of inhibitions which that assumption can impart to people who like to make noise but would not do so if they thought they could face consequences for their actions.

A good example is the person who drives like a maniac and cuts you off in traffic at every turn, but then politely holds the door for you at the church-house. In the car, he is invulnerable and assumes you don't even know who is messing with you. At the church door, face-to-face, he wants to be known as a polite gentleman.

Absolutely correct!

I have long said that anonymity is the worst thing to ever happen to the internet since before their WAS an internet, back in the MILNET then BBS days!!

Make every member's true identity known and each member accountable for their behavior and watch how friendly and safe the internet would become... and these forums by extension!

Douglas Allen Shrader here, look up my caches in Google Earth to find me, all three are placed on my own farm. I've Always stated that you can not make an annonymous stand, if you want to be taken seriously put your name with your statements. I've had some real knockdown, drag out fights in Forums in the past, I think I have personally caused at least a dozen posters, newbies and veterens alike to give up and leave those Forums forever. I've learned from my past though, and thus I seldom post anymore. and won't argue for more than a couple of posts, it's just not worth it. Say what you have to say in one or two posts and then let those who disagree, disagree.

Not really sure why I am posting here again. I came on to read some of the threads I was following (to learn from) and saw the number of responses since my last post. Sort of like the “Driving by a car wreck” mentality, I just had to look :)

I will not say anything in response to any of the posts here but one. I do not want to promote this thread any further then this.

Pepper, what you don't seem to understand is that the OP did not come to the forums with an attitude of someone looking for help. The OP started his thread looking for trouble.

You are very wrong in this statement. I did come here looking for help and to participate in any way I could. I wanted to immerse myself in this game and on-line forums is a wonderful part of anything we do these days. This was not my first post! It was only after reading several threads I was interested in and saw the same people turned it into a debate, regardless of intensity, for reasons only known to them, that I made the statements I did.

Having an opinion, and living in a country where you are free to speak that opinion is a wonderful thing. I support that with all of my heart and soul, in ways you people will not know. The most important part of the point I was TRYING to make was, it is not necessary to use that freedom on every topic discussed. It is OK sometimes to say nothing.

As it turned out, because I have not been here very long, and I do not know every thread as if it were my own, one of the topics that came up interested me A GREAT DEAL! I responded to the thread starter in private with questions about the topic. I did this because my questions had no real relevance to the direction his thread was going. I found out a couple hours later when the thread was closed by mod, that it was nothing more then a smart-aleck spin of an older thread. :)

Frank Hinds

Santa Rosa Ca.

”It’s in my profile”

Not really sure why I am posting here again.

Because you secretly enjoy it, but just don't want to admit it.

Having an opinion, and living in a country where you are free to speak that opinion is a wonderful thing. I support that with all of my heart and soul, in ways you people will not know.

And we've both exercised that :) What's the problem?

it is not necessary to use that freedom on every topic discussed. It is OK sometimes to say nothing.

This is where I have a problem. You didn't exercise restraint and you said "something". Yet you are telling me that I should exercise restraint. You can't have it both ways.

Frank Hinds

Santa Rosa Ca.

”It’s in my profile”

Nice to meet you Frank. Now chill out and have a good time!!!!

Shawn Swanner

Clackamas, OR

971-570-3451 (Cell Phone) <-- Does this mean I win?

::: grabs microphone :::

Attention! Now hear this!

There will be NO more bantering or posturing.

That is all.

::: puts down microphone :::

There, I've done my mod thing.

Awlthough your point is taken its the smart mouths like this that makeit seem the modrating is and everybody else just wants to talk to. lol The forumsd are ok and some of the mods and it does seem lick the people lick to argu for anything.

Awlthough your point is taken its the smart mouths like this that makeit seem the modrating is and everybody else just wants to talk to. lol The forumsd are ok and some of the mods and it does seem lick the people lick to argu for anything.

Huh? :ph34r:

Hey, try a day like I had today!

19 hours, 478 miles, 1 CITO, ~20 great caches, a couple of interesting virts, an Earthcache, in and around the canyon rim in one of the nation's most beautiful parks (Little River Canyon, Alabama), cached till midnight with several really nice cachers, including 12 y.o. twins.

Come back to the forums after a day like that and you won't feel so angsty!