I have something that I just have to point out.

bassman69

I have recently gotten into Geocaching and find it to be a lot of fun. As a part of getting more involved, I decided to start coming to the forums and being a part of the conversation/sharing/helping that is typical of a forums site.

I am a member of a computer help site that has grown dramatically over the last couple years. Because I am a long standing member there, I am often the one who points out that it is time for the regulars and newbies to check their attitude at the door. We all get a little worked up now and then but when old timers start having slap fights or slinging sarcasm/insults around, it is bad for the whole community ;)

Well, there are a number of you here that just seem to have a passion for jumping into any discussion and inflicting your attitude on all that view it. Your comments are often a distraction of the real issue being discussed and you only make yourself look ridiculous. Just because you have an opinion, does not mean you have to share it on every topic discussed.

I find that the way this forum is managed is disturbing. That constant banter and posturing is allowed. That good people feel the need to walk away from it all because of how they or others are treated. Disgusting!

You can slap me around all you want for this. I for one will now keep my activities with this game limited to finding and placing caches.

Edited by bassman69

...Well, there are a number of you here that just seem to have a passion for jumping into any discussion and inflicting your attitude on all that view it. .... Just because you have an opinion, does not mean you have to share it on every topic discussed....

Naturally. Since I enjoy posting and since I have an opinion on about everything the forums are a good outlet. You all get to suffer and my wife gets a nice break. I noticed though that you forgot to check your attitude at the door and that your belief in not interjecting your opinion just because you could, didn't stop you from doing exactly that. Not that I blame you.

Welcome to an open forum. Like democracy and sausage making, it's not always a thing of beauty, but it's always a thing of wonder.

I for one will now keep my activities with this game limited to finding and placing caches.

*cheerful wave*

buh-bye!

It's c-------s like you who are driving away newbies and giving this forum a bad reputation.

Yes I'm a newbie, been caching and visiting these forums for just a week.

If the way some of you act here on the forums is any indication of what you are like 'in the flesh' I have no desire to be associated with you or in meeting you. (Unless I'm carrying a 45 caliber baseball bat)

There are no doubt a few genuinely nice people here but they seem to be a very small minority. This is another case of a bunch of people who think because they were here longer, have more post, more 'finds', etc they own the place. They sure don't make newbies welcome, in fact they go out of there way to be rude and demeaning.

I'm seriously considering giving up the 'sport' completely.

I for one will now keep my activities with this game limited to finding and placing caches.

*cheerful wave*

buh-bye!

It's c-------s like you who are driving away newbies and giving this forum a bad reputation.

If the way some of you act here on the forums is any indication of what you are like 'in the flesh' I have no desire to be associated with you or in meeting you. (Unless I'm carrying a 45 caliber baseball bat)

There are no doubt a few genuinely nice people here but they seem to be a very small minority. This is another case of a bunch of people who think because they were here longer, have more post, more 'finds', etc they own the place. They sure don't make newbies welcome, in fact they go out of there way to be rude and demeaning.

Which part of your post set the tone you would like to see in these forums?

Hi,

I'm mainly a lurker, but I've been a player longer than anyone who has posted in this thread thus far. This may be eqivalent to the old man on the porch talking about, 'back in my day', but...

The OP is right. Geocaching is a lot of fun, but the forums are negative and icky. Everbody knows that. Masses of people that post on local boards avoid this one because they know that a handful of opinionated/skilled forumites squash and/or ignore what they have to say. It is not welcoming.

I think everyone should be able to share their opinions, but the reality of this forum is that a handful of voices dominate the discussion in a way that does not parallel the way the game is played. It doesn't help that mods uneccesarily make light of contentious behavior.

Thanks,

Capaldo

*cheerful wave*

buh-bye!

<snip>They sure don't make newbies welcome, in fact they go out of there way to be rude and demeaning.

Ya know, I've got a pretty diverse vocabulary, and can get down in the gutter as quick as most, but it took me a few minutes to fill in your blanks because I just couldn't fathom that you went there. <_< Man, if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black, then I've never made a snarky comment in jest on any forum. :huh:

BTW-check the sig line below. This is the forums, not geocaching. Go to a local event, meet you local community of cachers. Feel free to come back in here and share some of your wit and wisdom if you care to, but name calling isn't really neccessary.

Besides, if you really want to get under flask's skin then just use a bunch of smiles and the word MUGGLE! :huh::(:blink::blink:

*cheerful wave*

buh-bye!

There are no doubt a few genuinely nice people here but they seem to be a very small minority I don't seem to be one of them. This is another case of a bunch of people who think because they were here longer, have more post, more 'finds', etc they own the place. They sure don't make newbies welcome, in fact they go out of there way to be rude and demeaning.

Sorry, had to do a bit of editing for ya. That's how we are around here, super helpful, like a family. <_<

*cheerful wave*

buh-bye!

There are no doubt a few genuinely nice people here but they seem to be a very small minority I don't seem to be one of them. This is another case of a bunch of people who think because they were here longer, have more post, more 'finds', etc they own the place. They sure don't make newbies welcome, in fact they go out of there way to be rude and demeaning.

Sorry, had to do a bit of editing for ya. That's how we are around here, super helpful, like a family. :blink:

<_<
I find that the way this forum is managed is disturbing. That constant banter and posturing is allowed. That good people feel the need to walk away from it all because of how they or others are treated. Disgusting!

It's funny how for every post like this one, there is one from someone who comes here and surprised how nice and helpful everyone is.

I guess it depends on whether you focus on the handful of threads where controversial subjects are discussed and things can get heated, or the countless threads where forum participants are helping others out by patiently resolving software and hardware problems, giving them the ins and outs of various GPS units and software, helping novices who are having difficulty finding caches, arranging to show visiting geocachers around their area, organizing group hunts and events, sharing stories, etc...

A quick look at the first 15 threads on this page we have one giving advice on averaging coordinates, one sharing stories about encounters with police, one helping the OP deal with a scratched GPS screen, one sharing funny geocaching stories, one giving advice about snowshoes, one discussing our choice of "geonames", one soliciting advice about FTF certificates. If you focus on those kinds of threads you will see us as a fun, helpful group. If you focus on the kinds of threads where someone banters and postures about all the bantering and posturing, then you might have a negative perception.

Edited by briansnat

Your comments are often a distraction of the real issue being discussed and you only make yourself look ridiculous. Just because you have an opinion, does not mean you have to share it on every topic discussed.

I find that the way this forum is managed is disturbing.

Oh puuuuuulease . <_< Try usenet (unmoderated) for a few days and get back to me. It can't be all that bad, it's where geocaching was invented. :blink: I find people who find this forum disturbing, disturbing. This is like a day at Disneyland, compared to what's out there on the internet, IMHO.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

*cheerful wave*

buh-bye!

Sorry, had to do a bit of editing for ya. That's how we are around here, super helpful, like a family. <_<

A dysfunctional family...makes me feel right at home.

It's funny how for every post like this one, there is one from someone who comes here and surprised how nice and helpful everyone is.

I guess it depends on whether you focus on the handful of threads where controversial subjects are discussed and things can get heated, or the countless threads where forum participants are helping others out by patiently resolving software and hardware problems, giving them the ins and outs of various GPS units and software, helping novices who are having difficulty finding caches, organizing group hunts and events, sharing stories, etc...

A quick look at the first 15 threads on this page we have one giving advice on averaging coordinates, one sharing stories about encounters with police, one helping the OP deal with a scratched GPS screen, one sharing funny geocaching stories, one giving advice about snowshoes, one discussing our choice of "geonames", one soliciting advice about FTF certificates. If you focus on those kinds of threads you will see us as a fun, helpful group. If you focus on the kinds of threads where someone banters and postures about all the bantering and posturing, then you might have a negative perception.

Perception is reality.

Most of my local/state group percieve this forum as a den of vipers, yet I find little difference other than I can place a face I've met in person to most of those screen names and this forum moves at the speed of light compared to action there.

I can see how a newbie, ( I am proudly one myself) can be intimidated by this forum. So many experienced and saged posters. Everything is a little out there because of our lack of knowledge, and I imagine you (experienced and saged posters) that read the forum religiously get a little tired of the same old "dumb) questions and let it all hang out. I have started to get a little immune to it finally and a little more knowledgeable. All I can say is STICK AROUND and learn something. You may have to be slightly indulgent to these learned folks but for us "Gentler types" it can be worth the wait.

I can see how a newbie, ( I am proudly one myself) can be intimidated by this forum. So many experienced and saged posters. Everything is a little out there because of our lack of knowledge, and I imagine you (experienced and saged posters) that read the forum religiously get a little tired of the same old "dumb) questions and let it all hang out. I have started to get a little immune to it finally and a little more knowledgeable. All I can say is STICK AROUND and learn something. You may have to be slightly indulgent to these learned folks but for us "Gentler types" it can be worth the wait.

I still consiter myself a newbie.I have learned alot from the opinions of the older cachers in he forums.They have heard the question before more than once and the seem to give the links to all the other threads on the subject.This way you can read the the way it was and see if its the same today.Keep up the good work.

Hi,

I'm mainly a lurker, but I've been a player longer than anyone who has posted in this thread thus far. This may be eqivalent to the old man on the porch talking about, 'back in my day', but...

The OP is right. Geocaching is a lot of fun, but the forums are negative and icky. Everbody knows that. Masses of people that post on local boards avoid this one because they know that a handful of opinionated/skilled forumites squash and/or ignore what they have to say. It is not welcoming.

I think everyone should be able to share their opinions, but the reality of this forum is that a handful of voices dominate the discussion in a way that does not parallel the way the game is played. It doesn't help that mods uneccesarily make light of contentious behavior.

Thanks,

Capaldo

Well I trump you on the old man part. I've been here for years and have seen a lot of things discussed. The majority of discussions are positive and friendly. There are at times threads that are negative, sorta like this one. I think it keeps things interesting.

Also if you don't want a few to dominate the forums...then you and others need to participate more often. Because it really isn't a matter of dominating the forums, it's more like having the courage to post an opinion and the confidence and knowledge to back that opinion up.

El Diablo

From the day I logged onto the forums I've been treated wonderfully. Folks have been helpful and informative. If there's a snarky post dragging on for three days (which happens occasionally) don't post in it, or just plain don't read it.

And for those of you threatening to quit because of the tone of the forums...

<_< Allow me to laugh myself silly!

Only a tiny percentage of geocachers post here. If you don't like the forums, start a local geocaching forum, or just meet folks at events and talk face-to-face.

If the forums offend you you're either too easily offended, or you're just looking for something to get offended over.

That's just silly talk!

DCC

(madmike)

I'm a newbie here, but I've been on forums since the days when they were called BBS's. This one is fun, exciting, engaging, and *always* (Even at 4am when I'm stuck at work) has something interesting to read. I think many people can't handle being disagreed with, and many can't handle seeing other people disagreeing. Disagreement <> arguement, and heated disagreement <> mudslinging. Sure, there's some mudslinging, but the vast majority of what I see here is just heated disagreement.

I for one am thankful that this "sport" that I find such a treat is so good that it attracts this level of intelligent discourse.

(There, I think I used all my $5 words for the week, and it's only 3 hours into Sunday)

I'm a newbie here, but I've been on forums since the days when they were called BBS's. This one is fun, exciting, engaging, and *always* (Even at 4am when I'm stuck at work) has something interesting to read. I think many people can't handle being disagreed with, and many can't handle seeing other people disagreeing. Disagreement <> arguement, and heated disagreement <> mudslinging. Sure, there's some mudslinging, but the vast majority of what I see here is just heated disagreement.

I for one am thankful that this "sport" that I find such a treat is so good that it attracts this level of intelligent discourse.

(There, I think I used all my $5 words for the week, and it's only 3 hours into Sunday)

Now wait just a durn minute!!!

We pay .50 per syllable in this here forum. You didn't use a single word worth more than 2 dollars by my count. :blink:

Don't go bringing your inflation to our board. I WON'T STAND FOR IT!!!! :blink:

:huh:<_<:(:huh::huh:

From the day I logged onto the forums I've been treated wonderfully. Folks have been helpful and informative. If there's a snarky post dragging on for three days (which happens occasionally) don't post in it, or just plain don't read it.

And for those of you threatening to quit because of the tone of the forums...

<_< Allow me to laugh myself silly!

Only a tiny percentage of geocachers post here. If you don't like the forums, start a local geocaching forum, or just meet folks at events and talk face-to-face.

If the forums offend you you're either too easily offended, or you're just looking for something to get offended over.

That's just silly talk!

DCC

(madmike)

Quitting geocaching over something you read in the forums would be like giving up watching baseball (football, basketball, etc...) because you don't like the tone of some sports columnists.

The forums are not geocaching. They are a place where some people discuss geocaching. There are many thousands of geocachers who never visit the forums. If you don't like it here, then why come here? Just join the legions of geocachers out there happily finding caches, blissfully ignorant of what goes on here.

We interpret what we read according to our own sets of baggage.

I don't post a lot, have had a few online "arguments", given some good advice (when someone like Briansnat hasn't beaten me to it...) and gotten help and good advice from cachers here in the US and abroad. Of course, there are posters who I don't like, but it's rarely because they are mean-spirited. I've defended these forums are on another geocaching board when trash was being lobbed this way about how nasty the people here were. Mean-spirited posters just don't seem to last long here.

Ultimately, you as a reader have to take as much responsibility for what you want to read, as a poster has to take responsibility for what he or she posts. If you only choose to read the less civil threads, and neglect the "Getting Started", national and international communities, Off-Topic, etc. threads, then it's your fault. There's more good stuff in here than bad, but you have to be the one to discover it, sort of like searching for the kind of caches you like, rather than having the compulsion to do every one, even if it is a repulsive (you fill in the type of cache that you really despise).

By the way, is this where I ask whether I can use my gpsr on an airplane? <_<

Yeah, me too (since BBS's), and I brought up usenet, which maybe wasn't the greatest analogy, as it's unmoderated. OK, you want an ugly moderated forum? Try talking pro sports on the web. :blink:

I don't know, I'm thinking that some of the folks who say this is such a gawd awful horrific place, they just have never been a part of an internet forum on any hobby, be it needlepoint, collecting action figures, Classic video game consoles, gardening, whatever. <_<

I have recently gotten into Geocaching and find it to be a lot of fun. As a part of getting more involved, I decided to start coming to the forums and being a part of the conversation/sharing/helping that is typical of a forums site.

I am a member of a computer help site that has grown dramatically over the last couple years. Because I am a long standing member there, I am often the one who points out that it is time for the regulars and newbies to check their attitude at the door. We all get a little worked up now and then but when old timers start having slap fights or slinging sarcasm/insults around, it is bad for the whole community <_<

Well, there are a number of you here that just seem to have a passion for jumping into any discussion and inflicting your attitude on all that view it. Your comments are often a distraction of the real issue being discussed and you only make yourself look ridiculous. Just because you have an opinion, does not mean you have to share it on every topic discussed.

You can slap me around all you want for this. I for one will now keep my activities with this game limited to finding and placing caches.

Interesting phenomenon here. You do seem to be landing here with an attitude, and it seems to be a rather negative attitude, and one which you feel compelled to share with us. I might remind you that we find in a situation or in any life experience is largely a result of the baggage that we have carried in the door with us. Could your preconceptions and prejudices be coloring your experience here?

I have been somewhat active on these forums since about June 2005, and I guess that I have over 1,500 posts to my name here, and I have NEVER yet had a negative interaction with anyone on these forums, nor at any time have I felt that anyone here has treated me unfairly or with a "bad attitude" on these forums. In fact, about the only interaction that I can recall that was even SLIGHTLY negative was when I publicly exposed the fact that Keystone had been supplying certain illegal substances to Signal the Frog, and that he had also, well, never mind. . . Anyway, things got a tiny bit ugly very briefly when the four Pittsburgh Mafioso hit men whom Keystone had hired as "payback" showed up at my door, but those four men are now safely buried in the forest near our wilderness home, and they will never be mean to anyone anymore!

:(:blink::huh:

Yeah, me too (since BBS's), and I brought up usenet, which maybe wasn't the greatest analogy, as it's unmoderated. OK, you want an ugly moderated forum? Try talking pro sports on the web. :blink:

I don't know, I'm thinking that some of the folks who say this is such a gawd awful horrific place, they just have never been a part of an internet forum on any hobby, be it needlepoint, collecting action figures, Classic video game consoles, gardening, whatever. <_<

Stop by Rec.skiing.alpine if you want to see how bad it can get. You'll see some of the most vile stuff imaginable and participants there have lost jobs, been subject to death threats, had vehicles vandalized, have been banned by ISPs, prosecuted and one was ordered by a court not to post for a year.

I'm not saying that because other forums are rude, its OK here, but if you compare this forum to many other Internet forums this is a place of relative harmony.

<_<

We interpret what we read according to our own sets of baggage.

I don't post a lot, have had a few online "arguments", given some good advice (when someone like Briansnat hasn't beaten me to it...) and gotten help and good advice from cachers here in the US and abroad. Of course, there are posters who I don't like, but it's rarely because they are mean-spirited. I've defended these forums are on another geocaching board when trash was being lobbed this way about how nasty the people here were. Mean-spirited posters just don't seem to last long here.

Ultimately, you as a reader have to take as much responsibility for what you want to read, as a poster has to take responsibility for what he or she posts. If you only choose to read the less civil threads, and neglect the "Getting Started", national and international communities, Off-Topic, etc. threads, then it's your fault. There's more good stuff in here than bad, but you have to be the one to discover it, sort of like searching for the kind of caches you like, rather than having the compulsion to do every one, even if it is a repulsive (you fill in the type of cache that you really despise).

By the way, is this where I ask whether I can use my gpsr on an airplane? :blink:

I take what I read with "a grain of salt". Digesting some, and using sparingly.

In reference to using a GPS on an airplane. I asked that on my way to Vegas

last year, and was met with a "stern" no by the stewardess. My husband who is

a pilot indicated that it is only a recieving instrument, and not transmitting (like a cell phone).

The reason I'd like to use it is looking down at the terrain I'd like to know where I am.

(smile) 30,000 feet up! I'm going to try it on my way to Florida next month!

Do the confinscate GPS's if you accidently or purpose use them?

mmmm...something to ponder.

<snip>

No, but if you give them a hard time and want first class treatment and the pleasure of meeting some really nice folks who will want to speak with you when you make your next stop <_< - ask first (when you check in).

I love the forums and I love reading the posts. I've lurked here since I first started.

Well, 41 responses in 14 hours. Seems I got someone’s attention.

Maybe I need to clarify what I said, or at least what I meant. I do believe that these forums offer a great deal of help to one another. I never said they didn’t. As a matter of fact I just got done reading a thread in which someone was willing to drive 25 plus miles to help several others verify and move a bunch of lost coins/TB’s. That is awesome!

My point was in the idea that attitudes and opinions distract from the actual topic at hand and often enough, it degrades into a whole other discussion. If I chose to read a thread because of the topic discussed, I have no way of knowing it is turning into an argument until I am there. If I chose to leave that discussion, I will miss the outcome of the real topic because of the trash.

Just because you have an opinion, does not mean you have to share it on every topic discussed.

If you are going to quote me, please use the entire sentence. This is called “Taking it out of context” and your argument is pointless when you don’t address the entire statement. My attitude and opinion, I believe, are on topic here as that is what I started this thread about. Pointing out my lack of restraint is again, out of context. By reading my OP, you get a pretty solid feel for where this is going. If you don’t have interest in the topic, you move on.

The idea that there is something out there a lot worse then this, should make this tolerable/acceptable is……..., sorry, I’m at a loss here. I could not even believe someone said that.

I have a great deal of experience on the internet. I frequent several forums, BBS, and other discussion groups. I chose the ones I go to and stay at based on how the people there treat one another. I don’t go to usenet forums for the exact reason stated here. I came here to further my experience of Geocaching. I thought that was what this forum was about. It is, but not the way I had hoped. By the way, I am not real certain about the statements that this is where it all started, or that there are few cachers here. Might need to do a bit more research on that one.

Focusing on threads with controversial topics also was not a point I tried to make but rather threads with good topics that turn controversial, and then continued un-checked.

So what set you off?

I have not had any heated exchanges nor will I. What set me off was how some are allowed to treat others. Thanx though, one of the few straight forward responses here.

Lucky46, thanx for your positive and reassuring response :huh: I have a question for you. If you moved to a new town, and you went into the local eatery, and you had to listen to the waitress argue with a long time customer about how the menus should be printed, just so you could hear the specials, then have your food slopped onto your table, then when you say something about it, you are told to watch your attitude and mind your own business, while the manager stands there watching all of it and does nothing about it, would you go back to that restaurant?

I would not be intimidated by this, I would be disgusted by it.

Quitting?? Who said I was quitting? I said I was going to limit my Geocaching to finding and placing caches. I have been thoroughly schooled now on the difference between caching and forum use <_<

The reason I am still here is, I came to follow up on a couple of topics that interested me enough that I can look past any garbage that might occur. I was rather surprised to see the amount of response to my “Tantrum” and felt compelled to clarify some points. Don’t want anyone thinking I’m an [potty language removed by moderator]for the wrong reasons :blink:

I think these two responses pretty much sum up what I was trying to point out:

“There, I've done my mod thing.”

“*cheerful wave*

buh-bye!

Edited by Keystone

“*cheerful wave*

buh-bye!

I agree with many of your observations, but it all comes down to this... Many of us that debate in these forums have a good time doing it. There have been several occasions where I've gotten out of control and lost my temper, resulting in being suspended. Sometimes you just need to take a deep breath, realize that there are more important things than these online discussions and put the smile back on your face.

You don't have to be here and you don't have to read the threads. If you don't like, you can leave and never come back. Freedom is a special thing... We'd love for you stay and join in the debates and maybe even help some people here and there, but we can't force you.

Chill out dude <_<

I take what I read with "a grain of salt". Digesting some, and using sparingly.

In reference to using a GPS on an airplane. I asked that on my way to Vegas

last year, and was met with a "stern" no by the stewardess. My husband who is

a pilot indicated that it is only a recieving instrument, and not transmitting (like a cell phone).

The reason I'd like to use it is looking down at the terrain I'd like to know where I am.

(smile) 30,000 feet up! I'm going to try it on my way to Florida next month!

i've never flown so I've never tried it but I recall the manual on my old Legend stating that it was not accurate over 150 miles an hour, for use on a plane you need a GPSr designed for aviation use.

So it wouldn't really tell you where you were at anyway.

Hi bassman69. Thanks for your follow-up post. I edited it to remove the potty mouth part.

“*cheerful wave*

buh-bye!

When your first post (excerpt quoted above) takes a rather broad swipe at the volunteer moderating team, you can't be too surprised if it provokes a response (which you quote as part of the second excerpt quoted above).

Moderating is an art, not a science. If the moderators crack down too hard on the flow of discussion -- including controversial posts -- then we are called "censors," "control freaks," and worse. Yet you take the moderators to task for not doing *enough* to keep the discussion friendly. I long ago recognized that it's a "can't win" situation, and simply do the best that I can.

Much of the moderators' work is done behind the scenes. You may see an outrageous post in a thread. Unless it's obscene, commercial or a few other exceptions, we don't delete the offensive posts. Rather, we deal with the accounts who post them. This is taken care of privately in the vast majority of cases, so the community doesn't see our efforts to keep the discussions on track.

This is a big and busy forum. It is impossible to read every post in real time. The best we can do is to hope that moderators check in at varying times of the day, put out any immediate flames, and read a few threads to see if intervention is needed. We also rely heavily on the use of the "Report this Post" button by the community. If you see banter and posturing which you believe is violative of the pinned Forum Guidelines, please take a moment to report the problem.