Found while caching in Seattle

Fuzzywhip

While on a caching holiday in Seattle, I came across this strange concrete thing under the Grady Way Hwy / Hwy 405 freeways.

underhwy405.jpg

What is this thing?

The bowl-looking thing does not appear to be hollow, and the whole thing is on huge wooden beams.

I found this while hunting for cache GCM6PX

Edited by Fuzzywhip

What was Longacres?

Longacres was a racetrack... the ponies ran there from 1933-1992. According to this article, "Only the tall poplars trees that once edged the racetrack remain to mark the former location of Longacres." So it doesn't sound like what Fuzzywhip saw is related. Still a mystery, I guess, for now!

http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=7349

There's a little geocaching connection to Longacres too. Rey del Roble's horse (from which he took his geocaching name) had a big win there.

From Rey del Roble's profile:

Rey del Roble (Ray dell Row-blay), means Oak King in Spanish. It was the name I gave my first race horse who broke its maiden race at Longacres race track, at odds of 52 to 1, and won, coming from dead last around the clubhouse turn, to win by a nose at the wire.

Oops, I guess I forgot to include the coords to my picture I posted several days ago!

N47-27.921 W122-14.413

Google Earth coordinates 47.46535 -122.240217 brings up two Community links that confirm this is the former site of Longacres... The Parks and Recreation overlay also confirms this. (Even though the track was demolished long before GE was written...) Google Maps also has Longacres present.

So, whether or not they are related to Longacres - they decidely are adjacent to it.

Oops, I guess I forgot to include the coords to my picture I posted several days ago!

N47-27.921 W122-14.413

I've got the boulter.com coordinate converter bookmarklet installed on my browser tool bar. When I highlight your coordinates and click the tool bar icon it takes me here. It shows the track. Your spot kind of looks like an entrance to the interior of the park. Te nearby cache link on that page shows and incredible number of caches very close.

Just received email back from several history sites in the Seattle area, but neither could answer what this is. Even the horse racing association had no answer.

From the map views, it does look like an enterance to Longacres, but I have yet to confirm this.

Please keep looking.

Just received email back from several history sites in the Seattle area, but neither could answer what this is. Even the horse racing association had no answer.

The location is the back way into the old track. That whole North area was the stable area and would not have been the main entrance. I use to come that way and never noticed the planters but the freeway was there then.

RdR

The location is the back way into the old track. That whole North area was the stable area and would not have been the main entrance. I use to come that way and never noticed the planters but the freeway was there then.

The 1990 Terraserver imagery shows the stable to be to the East, and the freeway present.

RdR

Actually, that area was the entrance to Longacres. Some of the stables were on the northside, but a little farther east.

The track was built in the '30s, the freeway in the '50/'60s.

I moved into the first building that was built on the old Racetrack when it was brand spanking new. I queried the folks that were around back then to no avail. However, that was the main entrance to the racetrack way back before the Oaksdale underpass was built.

Edited by MarcusArelius

Hi, I am new around here as my husband, 2 kids and I just started with this awesome sport. I too have seen this structure and always wondered what it was. Well I shot an e-mail to the Renton Historical Society and it has been confirmed that it is the entrance of yore.

Fuzzywhip, the woman I was coresponding with wanted to see a picture so I sent her a copy of yours because I have never taken one. She wants to use it in an upsoming newsletter and will give you credit if you want. I obviously don't know your name and they would like permission to use it. I now realize I should have contacted you before showing it to her, but I really just thought she would look at it and that would be the end of it. Well lo and behold they want to print it. They want to print this picture of yours to hopefully track down an original picture of the entrance. If you would like I can foward the e-mail correspondence to you. And I deeply appologize for not asking your permission to send this photo to her in the first place, lesson learned.

Ashley